Chandra's Defeat deals 5 damage to target red creature or red planeswalker. If it was a Chandra planeswalker, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Chandra's Defeat Discussion
21 hours ago
I'm thinking Aether Hub with Attune with Aether could really make it pop if you through in Harnessed Lightning. Or even Lightning Strike. Abrade also is very fitting in here. Chandra's Defeat great for the planeswalkers, or direct 5 damage to a creature. Magma Spray is solid to do some damage to an indestructible creature. Hungry Flames takes lightning strike a step further doing 2 damage to the controller.
6 days ago
1 month ago
sneakyghost111, yeah, a fellow Bolas Control player at FNM told me to put Vraska's Contempt in SB. I have 3 currently. He also said to play Lightning Strike over Magma Spray in MB. I'm also thinking of siding Chandra's Defeat if Torch of Defiance still sees play.
1 month ago
I recently took a similar list to this (it was originally going to be this but I made some last minute changes) to state championships and made top 8. I should have made it further except for some REALLY bad luck (and it was bad luck, not just me complaining). Anyway, I thought I'd update you and let you know my changes.
First off, my changes were:
First I'll go over my changes. Mostly they were to shore up my bad matchups, but some were also becuase I didn't like cards.
Harsh scrutiny was consistently underperforming, so that went. Disintegration went simply because I wanted cheaper removal. Perilous voyage was, much as I hate to admit it, never good for me.
I added disallow because I didn't feel like I had enough hard counters, and it payed off. I still lost the quaterfinals because I couldn't find it, though. Glimmer came in because I wanted more card advantage, and it also performed very well. Gearhulk was critical in winning one of my matches, as it was the last threat in my deck. Magma spray was against mono-red, as I liked it better main deck than aetherborn in that matchup.
My sideboard was less good, I almost never wanted the second Reckoning, so I will be taking that out. Lost legacy was critical, it won me several games. Duress was also very good, although I didn't play many games against control. I'd still play the pair though. I didn't play against RDW, so I don't know about defeat, I might swap them out.
My only loss in the swiss was to the player who came second, and if I'd played better third game and not run in to Coup I would have won probably.
All in all I think it is a solid deck, I really liked most of the changes I made, which were against a broad meta as I didn't know what was being played, and there were not as many carnage tyrants as I thought.
1 month ago
clayperce Thank you for the shout out.
Jables1987 Welcome to magic. I'm still newish myself, so welcome welcome welcome. Your deck is actually pretty solid. I have a few thoughts here that may improve it, but it is not in a bad place at all! Kudos!
1) I would remove 3 Channeler Initiate and add 1 Drover of the Mighty and 1 Otepec Huntmaster. You don't need the extra ramp from Channeler Initiate, and Drover of the Mighty and Otepec Huntmaster synergize much better with your dinos. Also, add 1 Commune with Dinosaurs; the value of fixing your curve or fishing for a finisher is a great utility.
2) Personal preference: I would remove Unclaimed Territory and add two basic lands. You're only running two colors with the dual lands to support them. I personally prefer to have the mana colors I need without a limitation of what I can spend it on. With a full playset of Drover of the Mighty and Commune with Dinosaurs, I think the chances of you being starved for a specific color are pretty low. Again, just personal preference.
3) I thought about Glorybringer and Rhonas the Indomitable myself. They do have a home here with Glorybringer providing some removal and aerial coverage; and Rhonas the Indomitable providing trample (as well as its own sturdy 5/5 body). That said, I wouldn't run both. I'd remove either one of them to complete your play set of Regisaur Alpha. Regisaur Alpha is a much more potent threat, increases the tempo of your deck with dino-haste, and brings a 3/3 trample-saur with it. (NOTE: If you do keep Rhonas the Indomitable, see if you can work in Emergent Growth. Paired with Rhonas, it is a very potent combo. It kills up to 10 creatures blocking it and clears the way for your other attackers. But don't break your curve to play this combo.)
4) Sideboard: Sideboard for me is tough as well. You gotta think about what needs to come out and go in against certain match ups. That said, your sideboard looks pretty good. I would remove Lightning Strike since you're already running 7 removal spells Savage Stomp and Abrade mainboard. I like the 4th Abrade in the sideboard. With vampires, cats, and scarab decks going wide in the standard, I would recommend removing both Chandra's Defeat and maybe one Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip for 3 Rampaging Ferocidon. Your mainboard doesn't have much to deal with go-wide decks. Rampaging Ferocidon punishes those decks passively and doesn't interfere with your curve too badly. Scavenger Grounds is always a tough call for me. It's great against control decks, but with Deathgorge Scavenger in your main board, you might be able to free up these spots in your Sideboard. I think it comes down to personal preference.
5) Maybeboard: I would not run Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip or Slice in Twain. Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip doesn't help your curve. It would likely transform around turn 5; at which point, you either want to drop Regisaur Alpha (if you didn't get him on turn 4) or Carnage Tyrant. Slice in Twain is a bit much for removal and you get the card advantage from Ripjaw Raptor.
Overall good deck! Kudos friend! Feel free to check out my Dino Deck.
1 month ago
If you want this to be competitive you will need a Sideboard.
Here are some cards you could use. You will need to choose the ones that suit your local meta.
Abrade - get rid of Vehicles or small Creatures
Appetite for the Unnatural - destroy any Artifact or Enchantment
Blossoming Defense - protect a Creature from a spell, pump it for extra damage
Crushing Canopy - get rid of a flier or an Enchantment
1 month ago
1 month ago
@ironeyes Honored Hydra usually comes in for control match ups or any deck that can interact with Approach of the Second Sun. Ideally I would want to play Authority of the Consuls early but since I don't much white sources I rather use Chandra's Defeat since it would be easier to play early.