Whenever you cast a spell from your hand, reveal the top X cards of your library, where X is that spell's converted mana cost. You may cast a card revealed this way with converted mana cost X or less without paying its mana cost. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sunbird's Invocation occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%
Sunbird's Invocation Discussion
10 hours ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up! It is super helpful.
After further consideration and hearing what you say I think you are right about Hedron Archive, with a few other mana rocks we could get it in play a lot earlier too.
Oh wow I totally missed that Ignite the Future and Light Up the Stage said until the end of your next turn! That changes a lot. Will be picking them up for sure then, especially with them being quite lite on the wallet.
Some of my thoughts of the cuts.
Impending Disaster does serve my game plan a bit. I would put down a few enchantments/creatures that does damage as Norin blinks then remove all the lands to win me a few rounds of free damage. But it definitely makes people hate you and is worth cutting for just that reason.
Molten Vortex, agree it should go.
Pandemonium, agree it should go. What tends to happen is that I get a few bounces with Norin in but then someone else drops a bomb or 10 tokens.
Shifting Shadow, yeah I only use this one if I know what my opponents deck is capable of. But a lot of times it is too scary to use or it's a "I kill this thing I lose" but I can probably find something else to do that.
Task Mage Assembly, oh yeah I forgot I was supposed to cut this when I got got hold of a Pyrohemia.
Vicious Shadows, agree definitely too slow. I have never used it...
Forgotten Cave, well with as many lands as I used to have being able to cycle one is kind of nice xD
Springjack Pasture, Agree it's so bad, have no excuse/game plan for this one.
Squee, the Immortal In a perfect world he is "2RR Draw a Card and Deal 1-13 Damage to Any Target." with a repeat button, but that's so slow and at that point I am probably already dead. But tbh the main reason he is in the deck is because he looks so silly. :|
Workshop Assistant, yeah you are right
Crystal Chimes, maybe not enough. But they are kind of my game plan :|
Lotus Bloom, more often I would use it to be able to get of a surprise spell or being able to drop two things on one turn. But I do have other decks that it could do a lot of more work in.
Storm Cauldron, never actually gotten this one out (nor had it my hands) so not sure how it would pan out but I bet you are correct.
Both Uba Mask and Teferi's Puzzle Box are there to make people not be able to assemble their combos. Would be up to change them out but my meta is quite combo focused so would be nice with something to make people not being able to assemble them as easy.
Indomitable Creativity, yeah this is mainly for "funzies" used on myself it can be "okay" used on others it's either I lost or I delayed them winning a few turns. Neither really makes me win faster.
I will definitely use this as a base for when I start adding some of the recommendations you mentioned in your previous post. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write it out.
Please let me know if you ever have some ideas or if you find a new card in your deck that you really like.
12 hours ago
Hedron Archive - You have no ramp aside from Lotus bloom (which takes 3 turns) and sol ring, so more ramp is definitely needed. I think mindstone and this should be added because it can/will be used for card draw once you put your hand on the field. Having ramp also makes it more likely that you can cast cards from....
Ignite the Future and Light Up the Stage - There is always a chance you might exile a higher CMC card and be unable to pay for it, but keep in mind they both read until the end of your next turn, so it is much more flexible than other red "draw" spells.
Etali, Primal Storm- I get that, thats a real concern sometimes. As such, you might want to consider Inferno Titan instead. I just think Etali is great because he has won me several games and is a kill on sight card usually. Plus, it fits the idea of chaos so well.
Sunbird's Invocation - Perhaps meta dependent then? This is another kill on sight card for me as the value is too strong. But without that much ramp, it becomes hard to abuse, so you might be right.
Impending Disaster - Doesn't serve your gameplan, just makes people hate you
Molten Vortex - Given we are cutting lands, and even otherwise, this card is subpar
Pandemonium - In my experience, opponents always abuse this more than you. Living death, green beats, etc... Too much of a double edged sword
Shifting Shadow - Cool removal, but can backfire heavily. It might be nice, but I wouldn't run it personally.
Task Mage Assembly - Without enough ramp, this isn't good. Especially when your opponents can abuse it more than you
Vicious Shadows - If sunbirds is too slow, then this probably is too
Forgotten Cave - Bad land
Great Furnace - see above
Darksteel Citadel - see above
Springjack Pasture - see above
Brimstone Mage - Way too slow!
Squee, the Immortal - I dont see the purpose of this aside from skullclamp?
Workshop Assistant - Not enough artifacts to be justified
Crystal Chimes - Not enough enchantments
Lotus Bloom - If hedron is too slow, so is this
Storm Cauldron - You dont have any mana rocks/dorks to offset this. This just makes people hate you
Teferi's Puzzle Box - Doesn't actually net you card advantage
Uba Mask - I get this and puzzle box are supposed to be random and "mess" opponents up, but you need to further your own game plan first before adding room for "fun cards" that don't do anything useful
Indomitable Creativity - Too random, another red polymorph can seriously backfire.
15 hours ago
Thank you so much for your comment Profet93! Super helpful :)
Your first point about lowering land counts and dropping Molten Vortex for a few draw engine sounds like a superb idea!
A lot of cool sugestions will give you my thoughts about them!
- Endless Atlas A great one, that I even have a copy of, I see no reason not to add it :)
- Hedron Archive Not sure sure about this one, it seems a bit expensive at 4 mana. It looks like it would be more used as ramp than draw no?
- Humble Defector This sounds like a fun one! Can even steal it back with Confusion in the Ranks even without Homeward Path (which have some anti-synergy with Confusion). Will definitely pick it up.
- Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage are very interesting cards, but I would be afraid not to be able to cast what ever I exile or for it to be lands, would need access to at least 8 mana to be able to cast it, feels a bit too slow. Not super sold on these two :)
- Mind's Eye Expensive as you say but will be worth it if the game will drag on, will be looking to picking this one up together with the Honor-Worn Shaku
- Solemn Simulacrum have a few of these laying around, not sure why I never put one it. Will do it until I find something to replace it with. :)
- Wheel of Fortune/Wheel of Fate/Reforge the Soul/Magus of the Wheel, of Fortune is not within my price range, it is almost as much as the rest of the deck combined. I might pick the Magus of the Wheel however as a cheap alternative.
- Curse of Opulence Such a evil card! A lot of my group either play decks that benefit a lot from ramp or who need a lot of mana. So I fear this would help them more than me, I will definitely put it on my list to pick it up if I see one cheap though. Cause I do want to try it.
- Dockside Extortionist Strong card! But unfortunately a bit to expensive, will put it on my "buy on a bargain" list though!
- Mind Stone will put in this one, like it more than the Hedron Archive as you can drop it a lot faster.
- Ruby Medallion Neat, will be looking to picking one up
- Sword of the Animist That's true! It basically reads "Pay 2, Put a land from your library into the battlefield tapped", will be looking to adding this one too for sure!
- Tough one, $15 is about what I am prepared to put down on a single card, if it isn't a win con or simply a "must have", I wouldn't say this is either but it is strong and versatile so will probably pick it up if I can.
- Etali, Primal Storm Aww, I just bought this guy for my Xenagos' Dudes goes Face deck where he can get instant value, maybe I should have picked up two of them. My fear here is that it's can be a bit too slow to have to wait another turn to be able to attack with it.
- Sunbird's Invocation Insane card. At the point I can put this down the game is either over or would be over in a few turns. Most of the cards in the deck needs a few turns to actually do something so even though this card is insane it might be too late?
- Sensei's Divining Top Love this card so much, but unfortunately a bit too expensive. It's on the "Get it on a bargain" list :)
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle It's also a bit too much to put on a card that is only going to ping for 3. If I had a few more ways to put out lands each turn it could be worth the 20$
- Chain Reaction Good idea, will replace it when I find one
- Nevinyrral's Disk Will be looking to pick one up!
- Blast Zone Looks to be a bit slow? Will pick one up anyhow and test run it
- Terror of the Peaks Yeah, wanted this in Norin as soon as I saw it. It have been dropping in price in my local market so will be looking to picking a couple up for my decks soon.
Again thank you so much for your comment, it have been super helpful.
I am super interested in hearing your thoughts about cuts to the deck. Like what you think is too weak or doesn't fit. :)
1 day ago
Why isn't Norin listed as your commander? In any case, I have a couple ideas...
Molten Vortex - I get the concept behind this card with your high land count, but rather hope to draw this card as you are flooding your deck with a high land count and less draw, why not increase your draw and lower your land count a bit? This way, you are less reliant upon top decking and card find an easier time to maintain gas in the mid-late game. Draw ideas are as follows...
Endless Atlas - Comes down early, cheap to use, only 2nd to tome of legends but very worthwhile nevertheless
Hedron Archive - Acts as ramp when you need it and card draw when you don't. Pretty useful
Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage - Unlike cathartic reunion which provides virtual card advantage by giving you a better choice of cards, ignite the future provides actual card advantage. Plus, flashing it back is nice when you have ran out of gas. Light up the stage is nice, especially in your build which focuses on little damage accumulating since it can be played even cheaper. Both are highly recommended.
Mind's Eye -While expensive to cast, helps ensure gas in mid-late game. Goes well with Honor-Worn Shaku which should also be added as a strictly better wornpowerstone in this deck, because with Norin + Eye + Shaku, you can tap Norin each upkeep to untap Shake and use it to fuel mind's eye for card draw. Not to mention tapping down purphorous and your planeswalker to ramp feels good too
Solemn Simulacrum - Not necessary but a good staple in most mono red/white builds given it provides you with what you need, card draw and ramp.
Now that we have discussed card draw, it is time to help you ramp out your goals more quickly....
Curse of Opulence - Politics, and ramp with Norin that can start as early as T3. Very helpful. Don't forget, you can use the treasure tokens it makes with goblin welder to bring back an artifact!
Dockside Extortionist - Comes down early, makes lots of mana, very powerful card especially in the right meta. Highly recommended.
Mind Stone - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you don't. Its a baby hedron archive
Ruby Medallion - Ramp, plain and simple
Sword of the Animist - Imagine Norin with the sword attacking and then running away to get a land. Very fun!
There is more ramp but this should be a decent help given your CMC is low enough already despite the chaos cards, especially for a Norin build! Kudos to that! Now let's discuss some utility...
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Ramp, removal, draw and wincon all in 1. Don't sleep on this card
Etali, Primal Storm - What chaos deck doesn't love the chaos dino? It can be a wincon on its own!
Sunbird's Invocation - This card reads, if you don't destroy me, I win in the next few turns. The amount of value this card brings is insane
Sensei's Divining Top - Top deck filter and a rare draw when you need to dig a little deeper.
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Highly recommended with all of your mountains
Lastly we should discuss removal....
Chain Reaction > Storm's Wrath - There are usually many creatures in EDH and this just destroys them all instead of the weaker ones.
Nevinyrral's Disk - I see no way for you to deal with enchantments, having one reset button is crucial in case things get out of hand.
Blast Zone - Another option to deal with enchantments or pesky permanents that fits its way into the land base
Terror of the Peaks - Newest addition to any Norin deck. Synergy and power blended together at a fair CMC.
I have other suggestions and ideas for cuts should you wish. Be sure to let me know what you think of each suggestion. Looking forward to your response.
1 week ago
I'll try to keep my suggestions budget
Chaos Warp - Permanent removal
Dualcaster Mage - Value
Etali, Primal Storm - Powerhouse that works with the chaos theme
Flametongue Kavu - Removal the creature
Genesis Chamber - Army of Myrder
Hedron Archive > Sissay's Ring
Ignite the Future - Card Advantage
Inferno Titan - Burn them all
Light Up the Stage - Card Advantage
Outpost Siege - Card advantage when you need it, removal when you dont
Solemn Simulacrum - Ramp and card advantage
Tome of Legends - BEST CARD IN THE DECK. IF YOU ADD ANYTHING, ADD THIS!!!
Volcanic Offering - Removal and politics at instant speed, very useful
Nevinyrral's Disk - Wipe that deals with enchantments
Sunbird's Invocation - Card advantage. This sticking around means you usually win in a few turns with all of the value if you build your deck correctly
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Hi, I wanting to start building a Mono Red Commander Deck and the Problem is generating alot of Value to compare to others.
So I think Etali, Primal Storm as a Commander does alot of Value. Also I know Sunbird's Invocation thats generate also good Value. Is there more Value Cards for Mono Red something like Draw without Discard?
Further are there good Ramp Cards for Red?
2 weeks ago
Thanks for more suggestions, I might just go ahead and replace field of dead with the Geier Reach for more card draw.
Probably replace Field of Ruin with Tectonic Edge as well. Thank you for the advice on this I really appreciate it! :)
How do you feel about Sunbird's Invocation for a deck like this?