Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Return any number of target nonland, nontoken permanents you control to their owners' hands. Draw a card for each card returned to your hand this way.
1 month ago
Thank you for that abravo2060! Looking at the deck, it appears I have 20 Islands, not 19.
I plan on making some acquisitions to upgrade the deck in the near future, I'll share my list with you so you have some more ideas too.
6 months ago
@FireMind42: Yeah in that case, you'll want to go for Underworld Breach or Paradoxical Outcome (or something weird with both). I'd lean more towards Paradoxical Outcome because it lends itself better to straight U/R Storm. Not to mention, it opens up Displacer Kitten + Coveted Jewel shenanigans. Then you won't have to rely on rituals so much (Desperate Ritual, Goblin Electromancer, and Seething Song are especially awkward). You can then fit more artifact mana and draw spells.
You'll still want Bolas's Citadel because you're never going to actually spend black mana to cast it and the card is just the nuts in Storm. Memory Jar is always fun with Hullbreacher and Narset, Parter of Veils, but Bolas's Citadel is like Yawgmoth's Will and Yawgmoth's Bargain in one card that can be Tinker'd for (especially with Sensei's Divining Top, Brainstorm, and Ponder). You'll still need Sphinx of the Steel Wind in your sideboard, which is another card you're never going to actually cast.
Since you don't want Monastery Mentor, you'll have to get by with Laelia, the Blade Reforged. Sometimes you'll want to Grapeshot. Sometimes you'll want to Brain Freeze. Sometimes you'll want to Empty the Warrens. Other times, you need something that can get big quick and an easy way to do that is Laelia, the Blade Reforged, Treasure Cruise, and Dig Through Time. She's mostly for Underworld Breach, but I'm not sure you'll need that with Paradoxical Outcome.
I also don't know how I forgot to mention Mind's Desire in my original post. That's the reason to play pure U/R Storm in Vintage LOL. Personal Tutor may also have a potential spot somewhere in this list. It grabs Tinker, Grapeshot, Time Walk, Mind's Desire, and draw 7s. I'd even consider it over the second copies of Past in Flames and Grapeshot.
6 months ago
sylvannos Oh my god thank you so much! Sorry for the late response, but I really appreciate all the advice. Paradoxical Outcome is absolutely insane now that you mention the Mox synergy, and I have no idea how I missed Tinker in my original deck building phase.
As for your other suggestions, there are two elements of the deck I want to maintain which I forgot mention in the original post.
I want to keep the deck U/R because when I started playing in RTR I was obsessed with the Izzet. In Highschool I had the chance to draft MM13 for a friend's b-day, and after getting passed multiple copies of Gifts Ungiven,Grapeshot,Peer Through Depths, and Manamorphose, I managed to Grapeshot for lethal in nearly every single game. That was when I fell in love with Magic, and I thought Storm was just the coolest archetype because it fully embodies the absolute chaos that is U/R.
As for Thassa's Oracle, I have never really liked "you win the game cards," and I prefer to win with damage for flavor reasons. I love the feeling of counting up Storm count before casting lethal, and imagining I am a Planeswalker wielding fire and lightning to blast my opponent to dust (lol). Plus, cards that just end the game immediately tend to make opponents more frustrated than if they were killed by damage. Although that is just my experience haha
I will be experimenting with this build and I am already thinking of ways I can use your recommendations, I've always been a very casual player but I have a big interest in competitive magic so thanks again for the advice. I will be back soon for some more tips! :)
Thanks for the warm welcome, I am VERY excited to be playing such a complex format!
7 months ago
To start with, there's a few cards that have better Vintage equivalents. Overmaster and Spell Pierce should be the 3rd. and 4th. copies of Force of Will. Leftover space from cutting those can be Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, or Flusterstorm. You don't need Faithless Looting because we have Paradoxical Outcome, Sensei's Divining Top, Gush, Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, and Brainstorm to choose from. Merchant Scroll also belongs in here, because you can use it to grab Ancestral Recall at the very least. Usually you want it to make sure you have protection in hand by grabbing countermagic.
Library of Alexandria isn't good in this deck. And you're not the type that needs 8x sources, so Steam Vents can go, along with a few copies of Volcanic Island (1 or 2). Replace all of these with four copies of Scalding Tarn and basic lands. Or even just play 6x fetches. You need to be able to shuffle after using Brainstorm, Ponder,and Sensei's Divining Top.
From here, you have a solid U/R Storm shell. However, I wouldn't play straight "Modern U/R Storm, but Power 9" dot dec. 2 mana is a lot for Goblin Electromancer, there are easier ways of winning than Grapeshot, and so on. The question then becomes "Where to go from here?"
- Paradoxical Outcome is just the nuts. By bouncing moxen and cheap artifacts, it's a ritual (since you can replay everything for , untapping it all) and it's a draw spell. However, Paradoxical Outcome requires Mox Opals, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, etc. so you'll have to cut rituals (likely Seething Song). The upside is you get an extremely powerful engine that can often end the game with a single Paradoxical Outcome.
- Thassa's Oracle is the new hotness for Vintage combo cards. You can win the game by casting Brain Freeze on yourself, then casting Thassa's Oracle. It also opens up more combos using Demonic Consultation and Doomsday. Sometimes you've just drawn a bunch of cards and have ~3 cards left in your deck.
- Tinker is too good in Storm not to play it. You're either getting Memory Jar, Bolas's Citadel, Time Vault (Voltaic Key is already good in Storm when combined with Mana Vault and friends), or a random wincon like Sphinx of the Steel Wind boarded in for game 2. Bolas's Citadel will essentially flip the top half of your deck into play.
- You can also play draw 7s (Wheel of Fortune, Timetwister, Memory Jar, Diminishing Returns) in combination with Narset, Parter of Veils and Hullbreacher.
- Mana Drain is good, but you may find it too slow if you make any of the above changes. It definitely does more work in a more control-oriented Storm deck with Narset, Parter of Veils, Dack Fayden, Grim Tutor, etc.
- Lastly, there's the question of Underworld Breach, Yawgmoth's Will, Monastery Mentor, or some combination of these. Underworld Breach will mean you can stay in two colors. Playing black for Yawgmoth's Will allows you to play Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Necropotence, Doomsday, Tendrils of Agony, and hardcasting Bolas's Citadel. Monastery Mentor both scales up and goes sideways. A single token is enough to kill someone combined with Paradoxical Outcome or a draw 7. Monastery Mentor is like casting Tarmogoyf and Empty the Warrens for three mana and one card.
Hope this helps! Welcome to MtG's oldest and greatest format.
11 months ago
Little surprised no Paradoxical Outcome when I first was reading the list, but I can see it is not needed in your list. Nice build. Shame about the Mox for those wanting to play in events.
11 months ago
Okay, so cuts first: 1. all the "Diamond" series of mana rocks can go, they're kind of bad. The signets are good, they can stay.
Paradoxical Outcome can go. It's not exactly what you want here since you don't have strong ETB themes.
Keep Safe there are better counters.
Decoy Gambit can go. Not really strong enough to warrant giving people the options.
Sunbird's Invocation is a bit too expensive for what it does in this deck, IMO.
Oona's Grace - not bad, but not worthy of the 100.
Aether Gale - you have other cards that do what this is trying to do, but better.
You've also got what looks like multiples of a couple cards, which could help the count. Hope this helps! Let me know after you've made some edits and I'll help some more.
1 year ago
You need a way to reliably get Thrasta, Tempest's Roar into your hand, as it appears to be the only way you'll be able to apply pressure. Unlike traditional control, you have a lot of Thrasta-enabling pieces clogging up your deck, so I don't think you can rely on keeping control of the game for long before your opponent starts being able to enact their plans. Traditional Storm decks get what they need efficiently by having loads of draw-cards in their decks, so maybe that's a good avenue to explore?
20 lands fees super low, especially when you're running 4cmc stuff like Cryptic Command and Paradoxical Outcome (and you're going to need more than just the to cast Thrasta, Tempest's Roar also... feels like you need to reach 5ish lands??) I would think you'd want 23 lands as a minimum (Waterlogged Grove'd be good additions as you can always draw from them if you're flooding)
1 year ago
-1 Underground Sea is asking for trouble to cast the key black cards. This type of deck can struggle against Wasteland + Null Rod decks, relying on Mox Opal and 1 Underground Sea is not where you want to be.
-Thassa's Oracle does not belong in the deck whatsoever and neither does Noxious Revival. You are already packing Tendrils of Agony and Time Vault which are much more suited to the deck. Noxious Revival is just worse than Snapcaster Mage especially in a deck with Paradoxical Outcome