Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Elemental Shaman
Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
Whenever Stigma Lasher deals damage to a player, that player can't gain life for the rest of the game.
1 month ago
I love this deck idea, its one of my favorite!
Here is what I did; I went Mardu for Spark Trooper (lifegain) and some other artifact/enchantment removal options. I know you specified that the Trooper is missed by Unearth but it is not missed by Thunderkin Awakener or Flamekin Harbinger (tutor). My deck is so aggressive that I personally found that my graveyard could run dry, especially when Thunderkin was doing his job, making Unearth sometimes not helpful. So, I focus on Thunderkin as a main reanimation strategy with Unearth being backup.
I found that drawing into new elementals was very important so that my graveyard could be full. But I do this by playing the elementals, not discarding them. To do this I decided to use a card I've always wanted to make work in a deck: Infiltration Lens. this card is really nice because Thunderkin must attack to trigger and him getting blocked is most likely how he’ll die. When he is equipped with the lens, your opponent must choose between a second graveyard elemental (next turn) or two new cards from your library. You can easily draw into more trample elementals or maybe another Thunderkin or an Unearth to reanimate Thunderkin. This repeatable draw gets out of hand really quick.
I just recently replaced Double Cleave (the double strike strategy) with the newly reprinted Twinflame. It makes sense to also use Twinflame on Thunderkin Awakener where double strike didn't. Its kind-of like a 2drop (with "strive") Unearth; it helps emphasize Thunderkin being my main strategy.
I also recently started using Bone Shards because, as other users have pointed out, you can discard to use it before combat or use it after combat and sacrifice one of the elementals that will self-sac anyways.
Anyways, If you are interested, here is the link to my deck for reference.
1 month ago
Really nice! I've been perfecting my elemental Mardu deck for a year or so now. My goal was budget, heavy hitting tramplers, and reanimation. I had many of the same ideas you have here except white gives me access to Spark Trooper for lifegain.
- Stigma Lasher has a very nice place in my deck. It helps fill the early game but also shuts down lifegain decks by turn 3.
- I just recently replaced Double Cleave (the double strike strategy) with the newly reprinted Twinflame. It makes sense to also use Twinflame on Thunderkin Awakener where Double Cleave didn't. I figured 1 instant speed double strike 6/1 was weaker then 2 6/1s from my graveyard. This could possibly be a solution to your search for more Unearth-like cards.
- Speaking of Unearth, may I suggest using the new on-theme version: Unearth
- I decided to protect Thunderkin Awakener with Infiltration Lens because him getting blocked is most likely how he’ll die. This is because, Thunderkin must attack to trigger so why not force your opponents to decide between 1 elemental from your graveyard or maybe two from the top of your deck. Plus, I usually have an Unearth in hand. Or, maybe I'll draw into another Thunderkin.
- Also, Infiltration Lens can also be equipped to the 6/1s to encourage full damage throughput.
- There have been some games I’ve played where my graveyard seemed to run just a little dry. All my reanimation cards felt like dead cards especially when Thunderkin Awakener was doing his job. I found that drawing extra into more elementals was more reliable.
I do like a few cards you are using. I’ll look into replacing my Fall of the Hammer with Bone Shards; I really like what has been said here about it. Also Blood Mist sounds fun; I wounder if its not too slow.
If you are interested, here is the link to my deck for reference. Tappedout thinks its 75% competitive.
2 months ago
I've been perfecting my elemental Mardu deck for a year or so now. My goal was budget, heavy hitting tramplers, and reanimation. I had many of the same ideas you have here except black gives me access to Unearth and hand discard with Lightning Skelemental.
Some key differences:
- I use Stigma Lasher to stop lifegain decks by turn 3.
- I just recently replaced Double Cleave with the newly reprinted Twinflame. It makes sense to also use Twinflame on Thunderkin Awakener where Double Cleave didn't. I figured 1 instant speed double strike 6/1 was weaker then 2 6/1s with lifegain and hand discard effects.
- I also decided to protect Thunderkin Awakener with Infiltration Lens because he must attack for his ability to trigger; Him getting blocked is most likely how he'll die. So, why not make your opponent decide between 1 elemental from your graveyard or maybe 2 from your deck. Plus, I usually have an Unearth in hand. Or, maybe I'll draw into another Thunderkin Awakener.
- Infiltration Lens can also be equipped to the 6/1s to encourage full damage throughput.
- I find that the very persistant and constant barrage of 6/1s to be enough to overwhelm the opponent.
I do like a few of the elementals you have here like Incandescent Soulstoke. I'll have to see if they may work in my deck too.
Anyways, here is the link to my deck for reference. Tappedout thinks its 75% competitive.
7 months ago
I really like the build. There's quite a few cards I can think of that might be nice in here. Basilisk Collar is cheap alternative to Loxodon Warhammer, Blasphemous Act and Toralf, God of Fury Flip have very interesting reactions with Repercussion and Chandra's Incinerator goes infinite with it, Heartstone decreases the cost of Ashlings ability which can really boost her once it's mixed with mana doublers, Leyline Tyrant would let you hold up mana for Ashling on opponents turns and stockpile it for later use, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle seems like a nice choice given your land count and the presence of Vesuva and Thespian's Stage, Walking Atlas, Sword of the Animist and Ghirapur Orrery might help with ramping up for big plays, Stigma Lasher is a bit niche but if you can target it with Chandra's Ignition Lifegain decks are done for the rest of the game. Smoke and Price of Glory are nice stax pieces that shouldn't impact you too heavily given your low creature and instant count. Any one of Mogg Maniac, Brash Taunter and Stuffy Doll should all fit nicely given Ashlings explosive potential. Arcbond is a near guaranteed win against creature heavy decks. The Immortal Sun is a nearly strictly better Staff of Nin. Scrap Mastery might be a nice recovery from late game artifact wipes, or intense mill strategies. Sanctuary Blade is just as good as any of the swords at protecting Ashling and Hammer of Nazahn is nearly essential in such an equipment heavy deck, The Ozolith would help recover if Ashling gets popped before you can blow her up yourself. Harsh Mentor and Spellshock can keep infinite combos out of reach of those pesky combo players. Brass's Bounty and Reiterate can get you to infinite treasures/mana with enough lands in play and of course Ruby Medallion fits in nearly every red deck.
11 months ago
Not curses but curse adjacent flavor in goading: (12 suggestions) 1)Shiny Impetus 2)Psychic Impetus 3)Parasitic Impetus 4)Disrupt Decorum 5)Vengeful Ancestor 6)Bloodthirsty Blade 7)Karazikar, the Eye Tyrant 8)Jeering Homunculus 9)Goblin Racketeer 10)Grenzo, Havoc Raiser 11)Coveted Peacock 12)Kardur, Doomscourge
Other Curse like things with wither: (12 suggestions - some of these aren't very good and can be left out) 1)Stigma Lasher 2)Fang Skulkin 3+4)Nest of Scarabs + Corrosive Mentor 5)Everlasting Torment 6)Needle Specter 7)Midnight Banshee 8)Kulrath Knight 9)Necroskitter 10)Fists of the Demigod 11)Cinderbones 12)Oona's Gatewarden
Add 12 more lands (36 cards suggested total) + 56 cards currently on the list = 92 cards
Remaining 8 slots should be card draw, removal and Board-wipes (15 suggestions here) 1)Rhystic Study 2)Erebos, God of the Dead 3)Wheel of Misfortune 4)Shadowmage Infiltrator 5)Phyrexian Arena 6)Eye of Vecna 7)Blue Sun's Zenith 8)Tragic Slip 9)Go for the Throat 10)Doom Blade 11)Feed the Swarm 12)Ravenform 13)Chaos Warp 14)Damnation 15)Ritual of Soot
1 year ago
If you're going for a more aggro & attack based Alesha build, I highly recommend using a Menace sub-theme. My Alesha deck was more aggro-focused at first, but I recently rehauled it to be more Aristocrats/Combo. Menace can help your creatures get through for damage. I'd suggest checking out:
For evasion help
For creatures that "hit heavy" despite their power, especially if they have Menace or other evasion:
2 years ago
No worries, I figured Mangara was likely a meta-dependent tech choice. One of my meta tech cards is Stigma Lasher, since we do have a few decks in our playgroup that utilize life gain.