|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Premium Deck Series: Graveborn (GRV)||Rare|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Archon
Creatures can't attack you.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||gildan_bladeborn , tragic_slip , Enivid , Nemesis , ShishkyBob , Famicomania , , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , Gabeph , TheAnnihilator , Relevantworm , duff87 , damo_rox , mziter501 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , rakdos24 , golgarigirl , Skydra2|
Blazing Archon Discussion
1 week ago
Thanks for the suggestions, NV_1980 - there's some great stuff in there! And yeah, it's always fun and good against pretty much any deck that doesn't run too much graveyard hate or exiling.
I'm definitely going to consider Weathered Wayfarer - my ramp is pretty much all green so that I can weight my lands toward one color for more consistent starts. But the Wayfarer would be great if I can make it work.
All those protection cards are great. I've actually run some in the past and only took them out because they were less valuable in our meta. I'll definitely try to get Aegis of the Gods in the deck though, since it helps against a few graveyard removal cards.
Blazing Archon is fantastic for this deck. I'm using Peacekeeper instead because it's cheaper and it can pad the graveyard if I need Karador out faster. But the Archon is more stable and permanent, so I may swap back.
Do you have any thoughts on cards that might not be pulling their weight? I'd love to try out now if you're suggestions, but the hardest part is always finding something to take out!
1 week ago
I love what you've done here; the deck's balance strikes me as such that it will always be amazingly fun to play, against just about any kind of opponent!
As for suggestions, a ramp card I was thinking about was Weathered Wayfarer; would work very well in a deck without a whole lot of lands. In terms of protection, Mother of Runes, Aegis of the Gods, Tajuru Preserver and Grand Abolisher sprang to mind. And since Karador can reduce costs so much, how about Blazing Archon? Personally I might find a spot for Angel of Serenity; as an additional control option.
1 week ago
Overall, the token theme looks pretty strongly supported. There are a couple really neat niche cards like Viscious Shadows that should make for some pretty cool games.
Some possible adds to consider:
- Either Farseek or Skyshroud Claim are worth considering. They can fetch duals, which can really help you get out of a bind if you get color-screwed early. 4-color decks are so vulnerable to an early Ghost Quarter.
- Sandwurm Convergence is expensive to cast, but it'll help protect you from flyers in the late game, can be a weakness for K&T. Might be better than Blazing Archon.
- Some conditional board wipes would probably be useful while you build your mana base. Austere Command and Solar Tide can wipe away opposing threats while leaving your tokens largely intact.
- If you intend to keep the card draw payoffs, you probably want at least a couple more ways to draw cards. Dictate of Kruphix is a little less scary than Rites of Flourishing if you're looking for an enchantment to help with Sphere. The Locust God would be a really good one to consider as well.
- If you're looking to make a mana jump in the late game to flood the board with tokens, Dictate of Karametra can really do some work. Flash makes a huge difference.
- Omnath, Locus of Rage can be pretty solid in K&T. You're a little lower to the ground, so maybe that's not what you're going for, but worth thinking about.
Cuts to consider:
- You have a bunch of draw payoff (Hoofprints, Crawler, etc), but not many enablers other than K&T. If you don't want to run more enablers, you might consider cutting some of those payoffs to make room for utility.
- I almost always end up cutting Aura/Artifact Mutation from decks. They feel like they have so much upside, but it's so common to have the wrong one, or only be hitting a mana rock. Return to Dust, Krosan Grip or Sylvan Reclamation are almost always going to server better. Or if you want to lose friends, go for Aura Shards
- I'm not sure that Duelist's Heritage is a very strong political card in this shell. People are already not going to be all that incentivized to attack you (prison effects + lots of chump blockers), and if you have an army ready to win with, helping them against another player is probably not going to prevent them from trying to sweep your board. It's also almost completely useless to you, which is a problem once people start dying.
- Jazal is probably better off as Ezuri, Renegade Leader or just an Overrun of some sort. You might just want more overrun effects in general.
- Treacherous Terrain is so rarely going to get there that you're probably better off just running Farseek so you can fix 2 colors off of BfZ duals (speaking of which, Prairie Stream is on-color).
Good luck. Looks like a deck that should make fun games :)
2 weeks ago
What you do for fun in this deck is obviously your choice. I would not recommend you remove things. There are however some suggestions I have based on things I did not see that fit your colors and the synergy of the deck.
Beseech the Queen,Drogskol Reaver,Felidar Sovereign,Dark Petition,Increasing Ambition,Rune-Scarred Demon,Rise of the Dark Realms,Sphinx's Revelation,Open the Vaults,Winter Orb,Static Orb,Hanna, Ship's Navigator,Blazing Archon,Enlightened Tutor,Idyllic Tutor,Academy Rector
You can always run less answers if you have more tutors.
3 weeks ago
Maybe it's not a very common deck. The basic idea is Teeg comes into play early- turn 1 or turn 2. Then he ramps up into cards like Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, Void Winnower, Blazing Archon, Containment Priest, and generally locks you out of the game until no one can do anything but play land. Then, he swings at you with those creatures. It is a well put together deck and draws the most groans when he hits the table.
The only way I've ever won against him was with my Mayael the Anima deck and ramping up faster than he could and punching him out before he could get his lockdown cards in place. I'm thinking so I can play cards that will prevent him from locking the board down. Cards like Meddling Mage, Declaration of Naught, and Nevermore come to mind, but maybe a super fast agro deck would be better? Krenko, Mob Boss, Iroas, God of Victory, Xenagos, God of Revels are all decks I could build really quick.
3 weeks ago
I saw your post so here's some suggestions. In some of them, the flaming/fire sword definition is taken rather liberally.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Thanks guys for the suggestions guys!
Besides the thought of curses and Blazing Archon I think this deck is close to being built and play tested...