|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins (EVG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Skirk Fire Marshal
Creature — Goblin
Protection from red
Tap five untapped Goblins you control: Skirk Fire Marshal deals 10 damage to each creature and each player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Skirk Fire Marshal Discussion
1 day ago
This is true. It is common for players to describe summoning sickness as the inability to attack with or tap a creature the turn it is played. However, this description neglects key details from the actual rules. Here's the more accurate definition of summoning sickness:
"Informal term for a players inability to attack with a creature or to activate its abilities that include the tap symbol or the untap symbol unless the creature has been under that players control since the beginning of that players most recent turn."
Note that it does not mention tapping creatures by any other means such as in payment of the cost of an activated ability like Captivating Vampire's, Benthicore's, or Skirk Fire Marshal's. It's not really circumventing the rules if they were written in such a way to allow this interaction.
1 month ago
Please link all cards relevant to your question - using the
card: syntax will make sure you don't accidentally link decks or users with the same name: Skirk Fire Marshal
Elesh Norn's ability is a static ability and doesn't use the stack. Because of this, no player may respond until SBAs (state-based actions) have been checked. Those will see a lot of Goblins at 0/0 and put them in the graveyard.
Your opponent's last chance of activating the ability is with Elesh Norn still on the stack, which will deal the damage, but not destroy Elesh Norn.
A creature the suggested play would work with would be Massacre Wurm, which has a triggered ability that can be responded to.
2 months ago
Thanks for the comment, rkjunior! And a lot of these cards have been in and out or have been considered, haha. Great minds think alike, right? I (not too long ago) took out Goblin Offensive and Goblin Rally because of their costs and because ETB generation has more synergy with Panharmonicon.
Goblin Wizard was another sad one I had to give up...as much as I loved that goofy sucker, he just wasn't efficient enough for me. Skirk Fire Marshal and Arms Dealer being similar cases in the sense that they were too self-destructive.
The remaining cards were all considered on and off as well, but just didn't fit as tightly as I would like. Trust me though, I have considered them all at one point! Always good to hear from another Purph player, and thanks again for your comment, friend. Praise be to Purphoros! ;D
2 months ago
Love the deck. I built a budget Purphoros deck during a friends $100 challenge but I'm looking to upgrade it, and this is exactly what I was looking for. While a lot of your synergies were the same as mine, there's a handful of cards I ran and wanted to hear what you thought.
Arms Dealer, Dictate of the Twin Gods, Forgotten Cave, Furnace of Rath, Goblin Lookout, Goblin Offensive, Goblin Rally, Goblin Wizard, Norin the Wary, Skirk Fire Marshal, Smoldering Crater, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, Fanatic of Mogis
3 months ago
I know, but with lifelink on Skirk Fire Marshal I would survive his ability while Repercussion was out. This is what I was talking about, heh. I'll take a look at your Krenko build. Thanks for the input!
3 months ago
You're right. Wake is more of a sideboard card.
As far as Goblin Offensive and Goblin Warrens, I have 3 mana doublers, resolving Offensive under the right conditions (ie: Purphoros, Goblin War Strike, haste, Mob Justice etc etc) can win the game out of no where and even if it doesn't it is a nice surprise attack. Skullclamp, I try to have a couple sac outlets when I play this.
I was thinking,
look at Zo-Zu the Punisher, Skirk Fire Marshal, Siege-Gang Commander, and Goblin Sharpshooter and then look at Basilisk Collar, particularly the lifelink. Maybe there is a smarter way to abuse such an interaction. Do you think it would be safe to run Repercussion? More artifacts like Loxodon Warhammer perhaps? The Warhammer plays two roles in this case, gaining life with the Fire Marshal and getting guys Warren Instigator through.
4 months ago
I would consider Zulaport Cutthroat, since you have Blood Artist. If you plan on doing a sacrifice/Aristocrats subtheme, definitely throw in Dictate of Erebos/Grave Pact, as well as some of the classic sac outlets(Vampiric Rites, Goblin Bombardment, etc.)
It looks like Grenzo is usually going to be cast for 3, so Wort, Boggart Auntie could get you some extra graveyard value. Depending on how many goblins you usually have out, Skirk Fire Marshal could be a decent big red button.
4 months ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.