Front:Archangel Avacyn Flip
Avacyn, the Purifier
Legendary Creature — Angel
When this creature transforms into Avacyn, the Purifier, it deals 3 damage to each other creature and each opponent.
Avacyn, the Purifier Discussion
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
drew22 I thought about Panharmonicon, but I like leaving mana open to flash my creatures in and for counterspells.
Essence Flux will be a good addition I think. I just plain forgot about it lol. Bouncing a Reflector Mage, Rattlechains, or even an Avacyn, the Purifier Flip and transforming her back into Archangel Avacyn Flip would be great.
Thanks for the suggestions!
2 months ago
Thanks much for the kudos and the +1!
Yeah, I think UW Flash is now the deck's toughest match-up. I had originally tuned the deck specifically to thump UW, with 3x Pia Nalaar and 3x Smuggler's Copter in the mainboard. But that weakened the deck too much in other match-ups, so I pulled it all. Plus, for whatever reason, UW Flash is barely being played at my favorite LGS.
Some specific thoughts on the match-up (with the caveat that this is based on lots of testing against Joey Manner's White-Blue Flash but no real-world games):
- First things I pull are some pump spells (except Blossoming Defense of course), since we lose so many Creatures in the course of a game, and it rots to have a hand full of pumps but nothing to cast them on. Then it's usually Electrostatic Pummeler, since it's meh without pump spells. As an aside, I LOVE pulling Pummeler if they saw it Game 1, since there's nothing better than having them side in Fragmentize for no good reason!
- First things I add are Appetite for the Unnatural / Natural State, for Stasis Snare and Smuggler's Copter. Then Bristling Hydra, because the built-in hexproof is great. Then Clip Wings, which is super-meh early against stuff like Selfless Spirit, but amazing late against Avacyn, the Purifier Flip or Ormendahl, Profane Prince).
- I like keeping Arlinn Kord Flip in play, but I'm not too sure about that because she's super-weak to Flyers. But I just love her versatility ... even if she only lasts one turn, she's still a "pump and Vigilance + gain four life" or "2/2 token + gain three life" for four mana. Which is decent, but certainly not awesome, so idk ...
- Some thoughts on their sideboard: Unless I know they've tested against Pummeler, I assume they're going to take the usual RW Vehicles and BR Aggro 'board, which is to pull the Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, in favor of Blessed Alliance, another Declaration in Stone, and Fumigate. And like I mentioned above, it's great if they pull in Fragmentize for Pummelers that aren't there! :-)
- If UW Flash becomes a problem in my meta, I think the best approach would be to make room for some Natural State in the mainboard and Essence Flux in the side.
Hope this helps and thanks again!
3 months ago
ODINnorman: Welcome to the format! It turns out that Avacyn is something of an odd exception to that rule. Her back side (Avacyn, the Purifier) has a color indicator that defines her color as being red. That makes her color identity RW, so it's legal to play spells of both colors.
Formally, it's because a card's color identity is the union of 1) all mana symbols appearing on the card and 2) all colors on both sides of the card. This is the same reason that Elbrus, the Binding Blade Flip's color identity is black, or that Transguild Courier can only be played in five-color EDH. For reference, see comprehensive rules 903.4c.
What do you think of the deck? :)
3 months ago
codes A=7037 and A=7038
3 months ago
@Dimir-Acolyte Good catch! I understand colour identity in Commander - I think I had just largely forgotten about Avacyn, the Purifier :P. The front side is good enough as a French Vanilla Creature! Well that makes things easier - I was struggling to make cut. Thanks!
4 months ago
tyler18432: I have considered it, yes. The issue is that once the Lightning Greaves are attached to Avacyn, the Purifier Flip, I can no longer equip (or enchant) anything else to her. I can get around this by having another creature to move the Greaves to, but if I control no other creatures, there's going to be a problem (and, in testing, that happened frequently enough for me to not want to play it).
4 months ago
Hipparchos: T/O just informed me of your +1; there's an irritating latency there. Oh well - not your fault about the lag! :)
I've been loving my Adriana, Captain of the Guard deck so far (though I have not built it IRL yet). It plays like a fusion of this deck, and my Avacyn, the Purifier Flip deck, and my DOA Hazezon Tamar deck. It needs a few adjustments, but it's a fun deck to play, so I'm satisfied.
Honestly, this deck is pretty close to my list IRL. I'd have to check to be sure, but I think I added Descent of the Dragons and something else over Burn at the Stake and...something. I'll get that change logged here ASAP (and I need to make this deck description better).
This deck is basically my janky storm deck. It's capable of unbelievably explosive turns (casting perhaps 40 spells in a turn and storming out), but it's disruptable because it's hard to recover from mass removal, or from repeated removal of Zada herself. I really want to make it more consistent, but that's proven to be difficult. Oh well.
Honestly, this almost IS the deck without budgetary restrictions. I'd maybe add Burning Wish, Blood Moon, Ruination, Mana Vault, and Gauntlet of Might if I had no budget (and no morals)? But there aren't many changes to make here until new cards are printed, TBH. The deck relies on a very specific interaction - targeted cantrips - and unless more of those are printed I think this deck isn't going to change in form much. This deck will never be my most competitive deck, and I've accepted that.
I appreciate your interest in my decks ;)