Creature — Elf
Creature spells you play with converted mana cost 6 or more cost (2) less to play.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Krosan Drover Discussion
1 month ago
Krosan Drover is another one that I used to rely on quite a bit in older eras. I don't use it so much anymore since there's a lot more options now than just having high-mana-cost creatures, but it might help speed things along for you since I see you've got a few nice ones in there that are over 6.
It could also help open up some other options for you in case you have other creatures who failed to make the cut for this deck due to being too high a cost to cast.
6 months ago
I get that, and that's why I suggested what I did. There's way better ramp than those (although Cryptolith Rite is pretty marvelous), but the ones I suggested are predominantly themed. Even Krosan Drover, who is neither a dragon nor a hydra, nor even mentions either in its text, deals exclusively with big creatures. Which includes both.
Even fun decks deserve to be somewhat competitive. Look at my Fling Squee. Fun, goofy, always entertaining to play, and often screws around and wins.
6 months ago
You don't seem to have a lot of mana ramp in the deck, and it appears to be incredibly slow. Not being the owner of the deck, it's certainly possible that I'm wrong. However, if I may suggest:
6 months ago
Hi! Got to this deck through the Compendium. I was attracted by your promise of a competitive list.
VE seems like a very risky creature to have as your commander. It seems very dangerous, especially in a multiplayer game, to ramp the whole table at the same time. This is especially true if the opponent can kill him on their own turn and get the benefit of the ramp before you do. How has your experience been with this?
That aside, I do have a few suggestions for you.
Ulamog's Crusher is not in your list. Is he house-banned in your group? If not, he should really be in here.
Fierce Empath is whatever fatty you want him to be. Extra good with ways to bounce him or return him to your hand.
Revive and Wildwood Rebirth seem pretty free to have in your deck. Elven Cache is great too. 4 mana is not too much to pay conisdering how you ramp and how important VE is to your strategy. Recasting him for 5 mana seems worth it.
You're missing the classic Green Finisher of PDH: Sprout Swarm. With lots of mana and little creatures, this quickly gets out of hand and wins you the game. I can't recommend it enough.
Knight of the Stampede should really be Krosan Drover. The only synergy you lose out on is with Overgrown Armasaur, but otherwise it does the same thing, but better.
Yavimaya Elder is another classic way to get card advantage in Mono-Green.
Ashnod's Altar is a free sac outlet for your commander that will ramp you +4 on that turn at least. It also gives you something to do with little dorks that are hanging around the battlefield not doing much. Bonus points for the combo with Sprout Swarm.
Primal Growth is another great ramp card for you. It doesn't require the sacrifice if you don't want it, the lands come into play untapped, and it's still very explosive with VE. I think you could play this over Map the Wastes.
I slept for a long time on Elvish Skysweeper, but the card is actually amazing. Works well with your Commander, too. I would definitely play it over some of your other Flying hate.
In terms of cuts, You can definitely trim on the worse fatties, like Tyrranax, Cowl Prowler and Overgrown Armasaur, some of your middling ramp cards like Eyeless Watcher and Scion Summoner, and random cards like Snapping Gnarlid and Copperhorn Scout that only provide situational benefits.
Let me know if you need help finding more cards to cut. I think it's a good start and should make for a fast, explosive deck provided you don't get out-valued by decks that can take advantage of the free ramp.
6 months ago
What's your budget? That would help people make appropriate suggestions.
Krosan Drover could get you to turn 4 Vaevictis (or many other things in your deck).
Harvester of Souls can be pretty good at getting you extra cards, especially with your Commander. Is it out of budget, though? It's a 2$ card.
Bloodgift Demon is a dirt-cheap Phyrexian Arena with a 5/4 flying body attached.
Haunted Crossroads lets you Reanimate fatties every turn with Vaevictis.
Omen of the Hunt lets you ramp and leaves behind either a Vaevictis target or can help find something better on top for your dragon to get back.
Lantern of Insight is 1.50$, but will let you make more informed decisions when deciding whether or not to attack with your Commander.
7 months ago
Nylea's Forerunners seems a bit weak for your deck. You already have a few other trample givers and this one is overcosted. I could see that switch for Surrak if you want. Borborygmos also seems a bit lackluster.
Krosan Drover could be another good way to discount your creatures. Krosan Tusker is a 3 mana instant speed and uncounterable Divination that guarantees a land. It could be interesting to add in more "spell" creautres like that.
1 year ago
Thank you for the reply!
- Archetype of Endurance - I ran this for a short bit, and almost never cast it in lieu of something else. After 10+ games of it essentially being a dead card, I took it out.
- Krosan Drover / Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma - I've never consideres doing cost reduction for this deck, as it doesn't help with kamahl's abilities. I prefer ways to generate more mana as it helps to the flow of the deck. I do run goreclaw in my animar deck though because its an amazing card.
- Quicksilver Amulet - great card, I'll have to playtest it and see how it goes.
- Garruk's Horde - I ran this early on and took it out. At 7cmc, odds are I won't cast anything else the turn I cast this. So my opponents will have extra knowledge of what'd in my hand with no immediate payoff.
- Engulfing Slagwurm - I love this card and ran it for a long time. It never survived a round before getting nuked. I may consider putting it back in though because its fantastic.
1 year ago
Greetings I just wanted to provide some (possibly suboptimal) card that I personally like in my green decks.
- Archetype of Endurance to shield yourself and expose everyone else ( this can lead to fun times )
- Krosan Drover for a nice discount ( or Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma )
- Quicksilver Amulet to cheat things out
- Garruk's Horde Can be a nice thing if you don't mind people seeing what is coming up, you can spam things.
- Engulfing Slagwurm I'm super glad that this card is still a secret. This thing is OP as hell in my book.