Enchantment Creature — Horse Fish
Whenever you cast your first spell during each opponent's turn, draw a card.
|Want (2)||wongsys , akhsim|
Printings View all
|Theros Beyond Death (THB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Wavebreak Hippocamp Discussion
3 days ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
3 weeks ago
Nitpicking - IN! (41 cards) Goblin Electromancer God-Eternal Kefnet Guttersnipe Niv-Mizzet, Parun Wavebreak Hippocamp Ral, Storm Conduit Ancient Grudge Arcane Denial Commit / Memory Conqueror's Galleon Flip Cultivator's Caravan Electrodominance Expansion / Explosion Expedite Fact or Fiction Fire / Ice Foil Fury Storm Impulse Krosan Grip Mizzix's Mastery Mystic Confluence Nature's Claim Peek Primal Amulet Flip Radical Idea Rapid Hybridization Snap Springleaf Drum Stubborn Denial Thaumatic Compass Flip Thousand-Year Storm Game Trail Holdout Settlement Mountain Valley Reliquary Tower Rogue's Passage Sheltered Thicket Survivors' Encampment Temple of Abandon Temple of Mystery
3 weeks ago
MTGGoldfish - In! (29 cards) Rampant Growth Farseek Sakura-Tribe Elder Search for Tomorrow Expansion / Explosion Thassa's Intervention Young Pyromancer Reverberate Ral, Storm Conduit Increasing Vengeance Pull from Tomorrow Fact or Fiction Reality Shift Snap Springleaf Drum Thrill of Possibility Spell Pierce Wavebreak Hippocamp Once and Future Submerge Nature's Claim Narset's Reversal Return to Nature Magmaquake Forest Opt Saheeli, Sublime Artificer Survivors' Encampment Holdout Settlement
3 weeks ago
Enjoyed playing against this the other day! Many thoughts:
- Woah - 33 lands?? Sounds low, though 6 1-drop accelerants + 7 2-drop accelerants probably help. Arbor Elf seems bad with the low forest count though. And minor upgrades to 2-drop slot may be possible - new Commander decks have had Arcane Signet & Modern Horizons had enemy colored Talismans.
- You mentioned cutting/trimming the reanimator package as probable improvement - woah! That sounds crazy; Reanimate effects are one of the more broken things black can do, since you get to cheat on mana, possibly recur something that's been removed, or steal someone else's thing (but mostly cheat on mana). Eg by spending 2 on Animate Dead to get back Muldrotha or 2 on Dance of the Dead to get back Seedborn Muse.
However, there may be some clunky pieces which were stuck in your hand.
Two possible solutions:
Replace the clunky pieces with ones that have better floors when they're not great. Example - Aetherflux Reservoir - yes this is a win condition with Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal but so are lots of other things... another mana rock in that same spot would let you make infinite mana, which with Tasigur lets you mill your whole deck & put it all into your hand. Winning from there should be trivial (Laboratory Maniac does it).
Improve card selection to help you not have those pieces in hand as often.
Some draw/discard spells can help you do both - increase selection & provide a discard outlet for reanimatble fatties. There are tons of blue cards that do this:
Finally, some cards have come out that help out the Seedborn Muse / 17 instants part of the deck:
1 month ago
Neat idea! Few things came to mind.
Looking at the list, Hushbringer seems a nice compromise between Tocatli and Hushwing Gryff.
Wavebreak Hippocamp seems like it would be a nice include, as a second Rashmi that also counts as an enchantment for the purpose of enchantresses + Kestia triggers.
One that might be worth running--even with the Rest in Peace--is Gryff's Boon for the cheap CMC evasion + the ability to recur if it ever falls off.
1 month ago
Hey! Sorry it took so long for me to take a look at your deck, but I finally got around to it. I'm not sure what direction you're looking to take the deck, but here are my initial thoughts on your list.
You have a relatively low amount of draw, you definitely want more. You're looking for cheap draw spells to chain in between your other spell casts, so I'd consider playing the classic blue cantrips:
Brainstorm is a great example of a classic, powerful blue cantrip, but without fetchlands to support it, I'd take it out. The real power from Brainstorm comes from its gleaning ability rather than raw card draw power. Despite that being said, Brainstorm synergizes very well with anything that says "when you draw a card", such as The Locust God.
Other very solid draw spells include:
- Chart a Course | particularly good with how often you're going to be swinging with your spirits
- Frantic Search
- Fact or Fiction
I'd consider including ALL of the cantrips from the first list and at least one from the second (100% play Chart a Course).
Your removal suite is very robust, which is good. However, you're playing two unconditional wraths that will affect YOUR board in addition to your opponents. I think having Supreme Verdict is fine, but I'd take out Time Wipe. Lightning Bolt seems weak to me too, I'd play Path to Exile over it. The option to point it to the face shouldn't matter too much; you have plenty of direct damage with a huge Comet Storm, Earthquake, etc. Reckless Abandon seems meh to me as well, I think you could be playing a much more impactful spell in its slot.
Now let's talk about the creature suite you're running. With only eighteen instants and no way to give your spells flash, I think Wavebreak Hippocamp is rather weak. If you were playing Vedalken Orrery or Leyline of Anticipation in combination with the hippocamp I'd be more inclined to keep it. Apart from that, if you're happy with the creatures you've included I wouldn't make any other changes. However, you should consider these as possible includes:
- Baral, Chief of Compliance
- Monastery Mentor
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun | might be too hard to cast without perfect fixing, but an extremely strong and synergistic card
Here are some miscellaneous notes I took while reviewing your list:
I'd swap out the panorama lands. I think you have enough fixing to warrant their exclusion.
I'd cut Approach of the Second Sun. It's slow and will paint a massive target on your head once cast. If your plan is to copy it as you cast it, I'd include cards like Dualcaster Mage or Ral, Storm Conduit.
100% include Aria of Flame; that card is bonkers in EDH. Just don't forget your verse counter triggers!
Consider cutting Gush. The card is extremely strong but can be awkward to cast sometimes.
That wraps it up, I hope these observations were helpful! Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions, I'll do my best to be prompt the next time :P
1 month ago
Hey I really like you deck, I think Kalamax seems like an awesome commander. Here are a couple cards that I think would do good in this kind of deck. Wavebreak Hippocamp for some card draw when you’re casting spells on your opponents turn. Rashmi, Eternities Crafter just for some more value and to keep you rolling. Also Naiad of Hidden Coves helps you cast you spells easier. And finally Seedborn Muse which will just help keep you going throughout your opponents turns.
1 month ago
I like the theme, and I think a lot of cards are in place to make a great and fun deck. I would take out a number of creatures in here and replace them with additional copies of Stinging Lionfish and Wavebreak Hippocamp
Riptide Turtle is pretty great in here because is can trigger those cards along with your instants.