|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool. When that mana is spent to cast a red instant or sorcery spell, copy that spell and you may choose new targets for the copy.
Pyromancer's Goggles Discussion
6 days ago
1 week ago
This deck seems sweet! Looking through the list, I'm much more convinced that the aggro side works!
I don't like: Hero of Oxid Ridge (this card just seems bad) Tormod's Crypt , (there are better graveyard removal options) Journey to Nowhere and Oblivion Ring (these always get removed in my experience) Borrowed Hostility (I think I want my pump spells to either draw a card or be stronger than this)
I'd test: Mirrorwing Dragon Pyromancer's Goggles Primal Amulet Flip (this saves you a lot of mana on the 2+ cmc spells) Zada, Hedron Grinder (synergizes really well) Shelter (draw seems incredibly important for feather) Weathered Wayfarer (staple for boros imo) Crimson Wisps (better than accelerate) Chandra's Ignition Fight with Fire Boros Charm is probably just better than Assault Strobe and should probably come in.
1 week ago
I really like this commander. What a great direction for boros to go.
1 month ago
Also for future reference, you can put card names inside square brackets [ [ CardName ] ] without the spaces to link to the card so people can know immediately which cards you're talking about.
1 month ago
The medallions are okay for cost reduction, but only if you are chaining spells of the same color. Ramp spells Kodama's Reach or mana rocks Darksteel Ingot , more signets might be better. I suggest something like Pyromancer's Goggles to get an extra copy of that game ending Banefire . Why kill two players when you can kill three?
Wort, the Raidmother is another way to get an extra copy.
Early Harvest allows you to get a lot of extra mana for the turn you plan to combo off.
Baral, Chief of Compliance seems weird with only a few counters, I understand you want the cost reduction and I was wondering how consistent has this been for you?
Love the Spellseeker ! Great way to find your x spells.
1 month ago
Ditch 3 lands and about 8 rocks and play more instants and sorceries. I know you're aiming to pay out big for those X spells but you have to few for it to be effective. People will catch on right away to your gameplan and with only 17 spells for damage/lifegain (and a weak creature base for combat), you won't be able to play fast enough to stay alive. Maybe a few more proactive creatures like Angrath's Marauders and Guttersnipe ? Maybe some spell copying too? Spells like Reverberate , Bonus Round and Doublecast .
This is all my opinion and it could be wrong. Have you physically played this yet?
2 months ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
Pyromancer's Goggles occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%