Whenever you draw a card put a foreshadow counter on Ominous Seas.
Remove eight foreshadow counters from Ominous Seas: Create an 8/8 blue Kraken creature token.
Cycling : (, discard this card: Draw a card.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ominous Seas Discussion
3 weeks ago
Nephalia Drownyard is on-theme, but not that useful.
Moonring Island is somewhat more useful and also on-theme.
Karn's Bastion isn't particularly on-theme, but definitely helps the -1/-1 synergy.
Witch's Clinic might be another land to consider, although not really on-theme.
Lastly I have two on-theme cards I personally enjoy a lot in my Sea-Creatures tribal, but aren't that good, nor really boet-themed, but I'm giving them anyway: Sigiled Starfish and Purple-Crystal Crab.
1 month ago
Hey, well done for a first deck. You have good card sense on a budget and you've even included Rimewood for Farseek, nice. Sol Ring and Arcane Signet are staple budget mana rocks in Commander to consider adding.
I see Retreat to Coralhelm, but I don't see the missing piece to the Retreat landfall combo. Budget Llanowar Scout or Scaled Herbalist tap to put a land from your hand onto the battlefield thus you can untap one of them with Retreat and repeat. These creatures let you put a land from your hand onto the battlefield at instant speed to trigger Aesi on opponent's turn. The last piece of the combo is Simic Growth Chamber or Guildless Commons. The land can bounce itself back to your hand and repeat.
I see Kodama of the East Tree; if you add Meloku the Clouded Mirror then you have another landfall combo. Any basic land can be repeatedly bounced and played to create infinite 1/1 Spirits. Tap a basic land to make one mana, use that mana to pay for Meloku and bounce the basic land you just tapped. This creates a 1/1 Spirit which triggers Kodama, put the same basic land from your hand and repeat.
There's a secondary sea monster theme here which Ominous Seas would expand on. Seas has interaction with Aesi since you put a counter on it each time you draw a card including your first draw each of your turns. Combine Seas with Retreat combo to make infinite 8/8 Krakens. Whelming Wave can be a blowout since Aesi is a Serpent. Bounce all opponents creatures leaving just Aesi and any other sea monsters still on the battlefield. Wave is nice Fierce Empath to bounce it to then cast it again to tutor again.
Teferi's Ageless Insight lets you draw an additional card whenever you draw a card. For each card drawn means that if you have an effect that draws more than one card such as Brainstorm you instead draw six cards. Yavimaya Coast, Bant Panorama, Blighted Woodland are some budget land upgrades to consider.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Llanowar Tribe: too difficult of a casting cost when playing so many Islands.
- Engulf the Shore: too many Forests.
- Arbor Elf: too many Islands.
- Sphinx of Uthuun: not needed and too much CMC for what it does.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar: not needed, have life gaining from other cards that are less CMC.
- Khalni Heart Expedition: subpar source for ramp/landfall.
- Explosive Vegetation: the other two four drop land ramp spells are better.
- Beast Whisperer: a good card, but you can get repeatable draw from other sources that don't require you to cast a creature since the majority of the creatures here are high CMC.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Other Cards that you could consider cutting
- Ondu Giant => Seedguide Ash this card is one more mana expsive and has to die inorder to get the lands, but could be such a good upside. This dieing with your commander reads ramp 3 draw 3 cards and gain 3 life
- Soratami Mirror-Guard I get what you are doing here, but I feel like there are better payoffs for this
- Timbermaw Larva => Rampaging Brontodon trample is 1,000% better on this card
- Wakeroot Elemental 5 greens for a 5/5? way overcosted
- Wave-Wing Elemental again similar argument to Windrider Eel not that big of an impact
- Wild Wanderer good but could have better options
- Aetherflux Reservoir I know this is good in commander but why? No synergy at all, there has to be a better card slot here
- Elixir of Immortality I used to put this in all of my decks too, but it is counter productive to your stragay with cards like Splendid Reclamation and The Mending of Dominaria
- Wayfarer's Bauble There is better ramp than this in green
- I see why you have Jiang Yanggu but I feel like there is stronger cards than that. I cut the card to tutor Journey for the Elixir for him sorry :(
- There are a bunch of other better than Ranger's Path you could add, I'll show them in the recommendations
- Future Sight and Ominous Seas both seem strange here. I get future sight can draw cards, BUT I feel you should use mana sinks rather than off the top of your library draw
- Ghostly Flicker is on thin ice, like yes you have all the etb creatures but sometimes it is a dead card. meh at best?
Other Cards that you could consider adding
This is where the fun begins and your wallet cries
- You want Nissa, Who Shakes the World great card, it is a mana doubler ramp, and also you just win with the ultimate
- I heard you like ramp try Tireless Provisioner and pick up one for me while you are at it please
- Here is a gaint list of green ramp Harrow , Growth Spiral , Explore , Khalni Heart Expedition , Roiling Regrowth , Grow from the Ashes , Urban Evolution , Migration Path , Natural Connection , Nissa's Renewal , Nylea's Intervention , Spring / Mind , Animist's Awakening , Omen of the Hunt
- Keeping your life total at a high level Kazandu Nectarpot , Grazing Gladehart , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot
- Mana Sinks, you are going to have a lot of mana, might as well do something with it Kamahl's Druidic Vow ummm.... yes? Kefnet the Mindful one of my favorite Gods, that doesn't have a place. I look forward to getting attacked by him Sprout Swarm it is really easy for this card to be "free"
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more la
3 months ago
You might like these: Ominous Seas , Hermetic Study , Psionic Gift , Lotus Petal , Snap , Worn Powerstone , Empowered Autogenerator , Coalition Relic , Firemind Vessel , Gilded Lotus , Frontier Siege , Insidious Dreams , Turbulent Dreams , Dawnstrider , Zombie Infestation , Decisive Denial
4 months ago
I've been swimming paces like Poseidon with this deck, and enjoying the flavoured removals with Whelming Wave and River's Rebuke . One thing I'm trying out is adding another ticking-time-bomb-kraken, Deep-Sea Kraken , which is a nice addition if found early, ideally tucking another monster in suspended animation on turn 3, just behind a bubbling Ominous Seas .
The "cheap" Cryptic Serpent are also a nice touch, which come in handy to repopulate the board quickly after the graveyard's been filled with the scrys for card draws. Kudos!
4 months ago
Simply because you could trigger them in two to four turns with those spells.
Like two or three off them in your deck could work wonders. Mainly since your deck isn't a a completely locked out combo deck.
Again, I love your deck. I
When I give advise... I read through the deck description. Then I read through the cards. Then... ...then I ad suggestions from my card knowledge. I am constantly trying to being informed how to this or that could help and I love the criticism because my heart is in Standard. I'm trying to work my aged decks into Modern.
Personally I'll never be able to play in Legacy. Can't afford it.
I'll always try to help everyone get a better deck.
(side note note, I i miss Ice Age and Innistrad)
4 months ago
5 months ago
Jadzi is such a powerful commander! I think she has a lot of potential. You already play Ominous Seas , so you should also play Greater Good because these two cards together can draw you 8 cards as many times you want. After that you could play Journey to the Oracle , dumping all your lands onto your board and after that you can play some creatures and win with something like a Finale of Devastation .