Artifact Creature — Construct
When Torrential Gearhulk enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant card from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
|Have (2)||gildan_bladeborn , metalmagic|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Torrential Gearhulk occurrence in decks from the last year
- End Step and Clean Up Step Question
- Metallurgic Summonings and Torrential Gearhulk interaction.
- Can I target aftermath spells with Torrential Gearhulk
- Can you return to hand a Creature you just discarded or sacrificed, with Dark Intimations?
- Cast during declare attackers and copy in declare blockers?
Latest Decks as Commander
Torrential Gearhulk Discussion
2 days ago
I think this deck is really well-positioned to become a "draw-go" style control deck that plays instants and flash creatures on others' turns. Pteramander , Augur of Bolas , Brineborn Cutthroat , Threnody Singer , Vodalian Arcanist , Naiad of Hidden Coves , Wavebreak Hippocamp , Murmuring Mystic , and all of your instants (save for the likely too slow 4 mana ones) already fit in such an archetype to at least some extent. The horse fish is particularly insane as a card draw engine, and I'd try to get a playset of it if you can. Stacking them to draw even more cards with Nymris, Oona's Trickster , Baral, Chief of Compliance , Slitherwisp , etc. would also make Ominous Seas more viable, possibly even supplemented by draw payoffs like Chasm Skulker and Nadir Kraken .
For more generally good instants, Counterspell , Mana Leak , Countersquall , Frantic Search , AEtherize , Vapor Snag , Rewind , Cryptic Command , Opt , and Brainstorm (if you're playing with the legacy banned list) are options of varying budgets and power levels for a control deck.
The first cards I'd cut would be anything with suspend or that applies keyword ability counters. I think some amount of counter manipulation would be needed to maximize the value from such cards (with Clockspinning , Jhoira's Timebug , Paradox Haze , and Nikara, Lair Scavenger being a few things that come to mind). Then, I'd cull any sorceries or creatures that would take up all your mana on your own turn for minimal impact. Dead Revels , Frost Lynx , Alirios, Enraptured , and so on.
Sorry it took me a while to submit this after seeing the deck get posted earlier this week. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your build!
5 days ago
Curious as to what everyone thinks about the new set both power wise and flavor wise. Just for fun rate your top 5 picks for the most powerful cards and top 5 picks for flavorful/favorite cards. Of course they can over lap.
All of the magecraft cards...cause we all know Chain of Smog is going to be a thing.
Plumb the Forbidden - aristocrats players are going to love this! However, I'm not sure what the floor is for this card; the ceiling is very high though.
Fervent Mastery - well 4 or 5 mana is a bit steep at sorcery speed but god dang that's a lot of value RNG aside.
(This isn't in any particular order)
1) Rushed Rebirth - it doesn't even have to be you own creature! I see this going into any Birthing Pod /Evolution deck that can run in aswell as just being a snap include in things like Meren and Muldrotha. Hell, any BG deck will probably want this if they're running creatures.
2) Galazeth Prismari - now I know some of you are thinking this is just a worse version or Urza but this dragon still has a strong bit. Having red in its' color identity opens us up to shenanigans with Dockside Extortionist . Also, it can break parity with cards like Winter Orb which I'm sure if you've played against that type of strategy you know how infuriating it is.
3) Beledros Witherbloom - essentially a "free" spell at the cost of 10 life. Makes token fodder for things like Contamination but it's that untap "all" lands you control once each turn that's got my gears turning. Now, I doubt it'll outclass frog but it definitely opens golgari up to some big mana ridiculousness. Honestly surprised canal coffers hasn't spiked.
4) Ecological Appreciation - card is just value town city but we already have other similar cards that don't see much play. This just looks very breakable.
5) Solve the Equation - it's a tutor!
1) ink sheild - I love the art and love that it's a proactive fog! I hope for more cards like this in the future.
2) Yedora, Grave Gardener - they just keep printing cool things to verse 5 for, for Yisan. Granted I think this belongs in the 99 of decks that can blink lands but it's a very cool design space.
3) Rushed Rebirth - I just think this card will set up some really interesting plays
4) Shadrix Silversquall - so one of my favorite play styles in casual is king maker and the alternate art is just awesome
5) Magma Opus - obviously not a fan of this in commander but I can see this being super busted in a pioneer deck with fat caster mage - Torrential Gearhulk even though pioneer is dead at my lgs :( still think it'd be a lot of fun.
2 weeks ago
Do you think I should cut Torrential Gearhulk ? I don’t have all that many instants atm.
3 weeks ago
Ponder might not be a bad idea and I have a few of them, Gitaxian Probe is also decent for knowing when to save a counter spell and I think I have one of those as well. Three Wishes is a really interesting card that I think would be a lot more fun in commander; I have a couple. Frantic Search might also be decent if you don't like what's in your hand. Cyclonic Rift is also really good and despite it being expensive I'm pretty sure we own one. Talrand, Sky Summoner is also a classic for this kind of deck, and there's also Murmuring Mystic . One of my favs that I think would work really well is The Locust God . Jace's Archivist is really interesting as well and can help you if you're top decking and hurt everyone else, another great option for the same thing is Whispering Madness . Torrential Gearhulk might be slightly pricey but he matches well with what you're doing. Lim-Dul's Vault is also super handy and can be pretty zaney especially for it being cheap. Disallow is pretty crazy too for blocking activated abilities. Bolas's Citadel is also worth looking at. Cursed Totem is really expensive but would also be CRAZY in this deck. Also check out Propaganda .
As far as removal goes, Go for the Throat is always a good option.There's also Slaughter Pact and Force of Despair . Preemptive removal like Sadistic Sacrament would be a great idea as well. Decree of Pain is good but it's mana cost is kind of high; Life's Finale is an equally viable card. Unsommon is super cheap, Boomerang , Undo , Snap , do more or less the same thing.
3 weeks ago
Thoughts on these? Phyrexian Metamorph , Altered Ego , Progenitor Mimic , Faceless Butcher , Nightmare Shepherd , Identity Thief , Deadeye Navigator , Path of Discovery , Pitiless Plunderer , Torrential Gearhulk , Illusionist's Stratagem
1 month ago
Mcat1999 - No, please. I welcome any commentary, and I am more than fain to describe my deck building. I stopped using the description for strategy analysis in favour of my turgid writing style some while agone.
So, I enjoy building older commanders, but synergizing can be a little difficult. This is especially prominent in the set Legends. From merely perusing all of them, they are not too powerful and lack much in their colour identity. (As examples, Dakkon cares about lands in Esper and Xira Arien forcing card draw in Jund.) With Halfdane , I had to build an Esper deck that abuses power and toughness.
Due to the general not having Red or Green, I am forced to be creative. The thing I went to immediately were creatures that acquired different stat-lines regarding board states, such as Consuming Aberration . A fair number uses the number of cards I have in hand to tell (around sixteen total in the colour combination), thus I have a deck built around drawing cards.
That brought me the goal of having a large hand size; I then needed to get there somehow. I chose for a control deck with a Flash subtheme, using Nymris and Hippocamp as draw engines. If not, I have a lot of card draw, along with tutors to find the card draw.
This left me with a controlling, card draw deck with giant Flash creatures . It mainly wins by never relenting on any front and slowing my foes to a point of non-progression, all whilst I assail them with 7/7s. Entreat the Angels is honestly just a backup plan if I draw a Mystical Tutor .
This was overlong, but I hope it explained your query.
1 month ago
I think I'm on board/agree with everything you said Grubbernaut... the painful mana base with fetches and shocks and obligatory Thoughtseize really make the deck gravitate towards just playing another Death's Shadow deck rather than an actual control build.
We got Kess, Dissident Mage but maybe if we got another version of that card that enabled to cast spells at instant speed or maybe some kinda protection to go with Snapcaster Mage / Torrential Gearhulk Grixis would be in a better spot? Or does grixis need more of a spell based buff?
2 months ago
Artisan of Forms and Sage of Hours are amazing targets since Artisan of Forms can get you another copy of something and Sage of Hours allows you to get extra turns easily and on a budget. Triton Fortune Hunter is also good if you cast a cantrip on it. Torrential Gearhulk can be a great creature to copy because with it you can storm off and replay every instant and sorcery in your graveyard while creating many 5/5s. Thassa's Oracle is another card I'd consider adding since it can work as a draw 5 when copied and that umber keeps going up due to the two-loyalty the card has. Homeward Path is a card to consider simply because you have Coveted Jewel in your deck. As for cards to cut, Time Warp definitely doesn't seem necesarry considering the little synergy it has with your deck compared to how expensive it is. That said, if you already own it, feel free to keep it in as it is very powerful in general. Definitely cut Salvager of Secrets if you plan on adding the gearhulk, and the rest is pretty much whatever you prefer when playtesting. Overall the deck seems great and I hope I could help.