Artifact Creature — Construct
When Torrential Gearhulk enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant card from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
- End Step and Clean Up Step Question
- Metallurgic Summonings and Torrential Gearhulk interaction.
- Can I target aftermath spells with Torrential Gearhulk
- Can you return to hand a Creature you just discarded or sacrificed, with Dark Intimations?
- Cast during declare attackers and copy in declare blockers?
Latest Decks as Commander
Torrential Gearhulk Discussion
3 days ago
You generally don't need to exile all copies; and furthermore, by the time you can cast Crumble, they already have tron assembled. Setting them back 1-2 turns is generally enough when you're playing control.
Regarding replacements: if you're looking for other cards, Kroxa is SUPER good. Taxes them early and wins the game late. There's plenty of other playable options though: Liliana, the Last Hope is good (though best with more creatures to recur), Kalitas, Brazen Borrower , Nimble Obstructionist , Tasigur, even Murktide Regent . Sprite Dragon is also an absolute beating, but would need a significant rework of the deck to get max value.
2 weeks ago
Emrakul, Ulamog and Kozilek
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Titan
~ can not be countered, flying, trample, protection from colours.
When you cast ~, draw 5 cards, then reveal a card from your hand. Exile up to 2 target permanents with mana value equal to or less than the mana value of the revealed card. If you revealed a colourless, non-artifact card this way, take an extra turn after this one.
Whenever a player would sacrifice any number of permanents, if they do not control the required number of permanents, they exile cards from their hand equal to the difference.
ULTRA ANNIHILATOR! Slapping two creatures on one card is not unheard of ( Anax and Cymede for example).
4 weeks ago
I spend a while trying to get a Living Lore / Spellweaver Helix deck built around Raven's Crime / Breaking / Entering working, but losing Faithless Looting killed it, and the split cards rule shifts messed with it more. Its a cool idea that wasn't quite there.
One of the big things I learned was that Cruel Ultimatum loops win games, but getting to the point where a living lore hits your opponent is pretty hard. I had some more success once I looked to use it to cast Time Warp and ran some delve spells in Logic Knot and Temporal Trespass . Big creatures win games. Time walking a gurmag angler is incredible when your opponent doesn't realise you have 4 turns banked up, but the whole deck starts feeling like a pile of cards - lots of hands that are almost good but nothing that really works well together.
Efreet Flamepainter and the discard for a treasure tokens offer a set of eight four drops and cards that ramp to it and pay off in the graveyard, with Torrential gearhulk as another couple, but building for that is going to be a little tricky - treasure tokens and fast mana means that getting them on the battlefield leaves you less cards to keep them alive and run the rest of the deck.
Finding a way to make living lore's comparatively bulky body and love of high CMC spells in the graveyard will pull the deck in weird directions - I hope you have fun hunting down ones that work. Who knows- perhaps its a deck that casts Shape Anew for Torrential Gearhulk . All I know is making it good is gonna get weird.
1 month ago
Honestly though I would pick which ever one you would have more fun playing.
1 month ago
looks like a v solid deck. I'd definitely consider adding the Geist of Saint Traft also definitely the Vendilion Clique you might be able to ditch all 4 of your creatures for 2x of those, and then replace the card draw with Frantic Inventory or Serum Visions something. but everytime I've played against the giest it's been a real strong time-buyer for my opponent. Also the clique is super clutch for getting to run some hand snipes in a U/W control setting, without having to splash black.
Also as far as buying time goes, doesn't get much better than some of the gideon planeswalkers. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is insane, and of the trials is pretty good early pressure as well. I've played with Jace, Architect of Thought before and that card is straight trash let me tell ya
the Mission Briefing IMO fits better in a deck that runs some form of discard, I like splashing these in my B/U control along with Torrential Gearhulk for some graveyard play. You could maybe run Thought Scour and 1-2 Search for Azcanta Flip to get some graveyard pumping going.
Lastly, Elspeth, Sun's Champion is a pretty nice win condition but you could also go for some of those big 10 drop blue creatures (kind of like Thing in the Ice Flip you have sideboarded) or something like Shark Typhoon
oh also Day of Judgment pretty solid in white control decks.
2 months ago
I have other stuff in my binder to add to the deal, I’m trying to complete my Kaladesh set so the cards must be from Kaladesh.
2 months ago
I think this deck is really well-positioned to become a "draw-go" style control deck that plays instants and flash creatures on others' turns. Pteramander , Augur of Bolas , Brineborn Cutthroat , Threnody Singer , Vodalian Arcanist , Naiad of Hidden Coves , Wavebreak Hippocamp , Murmuring Mystic , and all of your instants (save for the likely too slow 4 mana ones) already fit in such an archetype to at least some extent. The horse fish is particularly insane as a card draw engine, and I'd try to get a playset of it if you can. Stacking them to draw even more cards with Nymris, Oona's Trickster , Baral, Chief of Compliance , Slitherwisp , etc. would also make Ominous Seas more viable, possibly even supplemented by draw payoffs like Chasm Skulker and Nadir Kraken .
For more generally good instants, Counterspell , Mana Leak , Countersquall , Frantic Search , AEtherize , Vapor Snag , Rewind , Cryptic Command , Opt , and Brainstorm (if you're playing with the legacy banned list) are options of varying budgets and power levels for a control deck.
The first cards I'd cut would be anything with suspend or that applies keyword ability counters. I think some amount of counter manipulation would be needed to maximize the value from such cards (with Clockspinning , Jhoira's Timebug , Paradox Haze , and Nikara, Lair Scavenger being a few things that come to mind). Then, I'd cull any sorceries or creatures that would take up all your mana on your own turn for minimal impact. Dead Revels , Frost Lynx , Alirios, Enraptured , and so on.
Sorry it took me a while to submit this after seeing the deck get posted earlier this week. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your build!
2 months ago
Curious as to what everyone thinks about the new set both power wise and flavor wise. Just for fun rate your top 5 picks for the most powerful cards and top 5 picks for flavorful/favorite cards. Of course they can over lap.
All of the magecraft cards...cause we all know Chain of Smog is going to be a thing.
Plumb the Forbidden - aristocrats players are going to love this! However, I'm not sure what the floor is for this card; the ceiling is very high though.
Fervent Mastery - well 4 or 5 mana is a bit steep at sorcery speed but god dang that's a lot of value RNG aside.
(This isn't in any particular order)
1) Rushed Rebirth - it doesn't even have to be you own creature! I see this going into any Birthing Pod /Evolution deck that can run in aswell as just being a snap include in things like Meren and Muldrotha. Hell, any BG deck will probably want this if they're running creatures.
2) Galazeth Prismari - now I know some of you are thinking this is just a worse version or Urza but this dragon still has a strong bit. Having red in its' color identity opens us up to shenanigans with Dockside Extortionist . Also, it can break parity with cards like Winter Orb which I'm sure if you've played against that type of strategy you know how infuriating it is.
3) Beledros Witherbloom - essentially a "free" spell at the cost of 10 life. Makes token fodder for things like Contamination but it's that untap "all" lands you control once each turn that's got my gears turning. Now, I doubt it'll outclass frog but it definitely opens golgari up to some big mana ridiculousness. Honestly surprised canal coffers hasn't spiked.
4) Ecological Appreciation - card is just value town city but we already have other similar cards that don't see much play. This just looks very breakable.
5) Solve the Equation - it's a tutor!
1) ink sheild - I love the art and love that it's a proactive fog! I hope for more cards like this in the future.
2) Yedora, Grave Gardener - they just keep printing cool things to verse 5 for, for Yisan. Granted I think this belongs in the 99 of decks that can blink lands but it's a very cool design space.
3) Rushed Rebirth - I just think this card will set up some really interesting plays
4) Shadrix Silversquall - so one of my favorite play styles in casual is king maker and the alternate art is just awesome
5) Magma Opus - obviously not a fan of this in commander but I can see this being super busted in a pioneer deck with fat caster mage - Torrential Gearhulk even though pioneer is dead at my lgs :( still think it'd be a lot of fun.