Artifact Creature — Construct
When Torrential Gearhulk enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant card from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
|Have (2)||Marcelluswtf , metalmagic|
|Want (2)||BindMind , neburyem|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Kaladesh (KLD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
- End Step and Clean Up Step Question
- Metallurgic Summonings and Torrential Gearhulk interaction.
- Can I target aftermath spells with Torrential Gearhulk
- Can you return to hand a Creature you just discarded or sacrificed, with Dark Intimations?
- Cast during declare attackers and copy in declare blockers?
Latest Decks as Commander
Torrential Gearhulk Discussion
2 months ago
Hey, Thanks. If you really want more ways to win, I guess you can add Torrential Gearhulk. You can't really play planeswalkers due to teachings, so not a whole lot of other options. I'm considering a Shark Typhoon or 2 for the board for that exact reason.
2 months ago
3 months ago
I like the inclusion of Drannith Magistrate with all of the Hogaak and Uro decks running around lately. Let me know how you feel about Teferi, Master of Time, Venser, Shaper Savant, and Disallow after you play with them. I used to play Venser and Disallow, but took them out a while back ago. I am skeptical about all three of those, as well as Ajani Vengeant and Narset, Parter of Veils, because of how many decks on mtgtop8 have 30-40 2/2 or smaller creatures that just flood the board and render those cards very lackluster. That's why I've included so many small sweepers in my version. I'm also testing out Jace, Architect of Thought right now. I have been trying to find a cut to include Torrential Gearhulk in my list again. I like Goblin Dark-Dwellers a bit more because you can target sorceries as well, and it doesn't die to artifact removal. Being able to cast the goblin and flashing back a 3 damage red sweeper (or Ancestral Vision for free) feels amazing.
Going into a blind tournament, I'd probably take out one or two of the less impactful walkers for something that either deals with creatures that have 4 toughness or higher, or deals with masses of small creatures. Other than that, I think it looks great!
3 months ago
Back from the Brink? first time seeing this card. i dont think i need it as mimeoplasm is a recursion card himself. the best tutor in this deck is Intuition, using intuition ill grab Underrealm Lich + Necrologia + Torrential Gearhulk, no matter what cards the opponent chooses to go in the graveyard i still can cast all 3 cards using mimeoplasm. its a 3 card tutor for 3 mana
4 months ago
mikeywayne08 Hello fellow control mage. Just gonna give my 2 cents regarding the deck.
With your Mill package you are inadvertently helping Dimir Inverter decks reach their win condition with Thassa's Oracle and Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and is personally too slow. Plus will help fuel Escape cards like Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Delirium strategies. You also do not have much of a finisher outside Doom Whisperer. There is some synergy yes but take that out of the equation and you have a shell.
Having 4x Drown in the Loch feels very awkward especially if you have in your opening hand and the graveyard isnt stacked in the early game. Would suggest to drop down to 2x. Eliminate coming in from M21 does a good imitation of Abrupt Decay plus lines up quite well against decks based on Lurrus of the Dream-Den.
Fatal Push should be one of the premier cheap removal options in the deck against aggressive strategies. This may be more of a personal opinion but Hero's Downfall might be better than Murderous Rider just for the life loss. More of personal preference in that regard.
For creatures The Scarab God feels like a must have for raw power. Even a single copy would swing the game around to your favor, being difficult to remove from the game and the ability to steal a creature from the yard. Torrential Gearhulk as a flash, large body with great synergy with Dig Through Time and Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet to combat the graveyard are some creature options I can recommend to try out and see how they feel.
Hope this somehow helps you in giving you ideas on what to change and for your next approach to your deck :)
4 months ago
Hey, good start for a causal version of Yarok :)
How are you winning the game with Yarok? Even casual decks need a way to win the game. You may be playing a causal deck, but you're also playing many noncasual cards. I ask this because you should build the rest of your deck around how you want to win. One way is with infinite mana to infinite blink Agent of Treachery to gain control of all your opponents permanents. I suggest this way because Agent is an amazing card to abuse with Yarok and blink.
The main enabler for this is Deadeye Navigator who can blink the creature it's soulbound too. Peregrine Drake soulbound to Deadeye is the enabler to make infinite mana by infinite blinking Drake to tap and untap your lands. When you have infinite mana you can soulbound Deadeye to a win condition creature in this case Agent and then infinite blink Agent.
If you add Deadeye then it's safe to say that you should build the rest of your deck around Deadeye and Agent because they're how you win. Deadeye has interaction with many other creatures not just Agent because it's a repeatable source of blink for the soulbound creature. If you're interested in learning about this combo then I can explain it in more detail in another comment. Would you like to know more?
25 cards that are 5 CMC or higher is a lot. This many is making the avg. CMC of your deck very high at 4.2 meaning that the avg. mana cost of the cards in your deck is four mana. You risk not being able to cast a single card until you have four or more mana which could be all game if you get land screwed. An improvement would be to streamline these 24 cards down to 10 or less to start. Yarok is the five drop you want to cast more than the rest which is something to keep in mind when choosing which ones and the number of other five drops to play.
The best high CMC cards here are: Yarok, Agent of Treachery, Rune-Scarred Demon, Tooth and Nail, Sepulchral Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen, Sire of Stagnation, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, Mulldrifter, Conjurer's Closet. All the rest not named could theoretically be cut. If you add Deadeye and Drake then they could replace Nixilis and Stagnation.
Further streamlined example: Yarok, Agent of Treachery, Deadeye Navigator, Peregrine Drake, Rune-Scarred Demon, Tooth and Nail, Mulldrifter. All these cards can help to assemble Deadeye/Drake and then Deadeye/Agent as the win condition. Mulldrifter can soulbound with Deadeye for infinite blink to draw into your deck until you can assemble the combos with protection.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Siren's Ruse: worst blink spell, at two mana to blink only one creature and there's only one Pirate.
- Illusionist's Stratagem: four mana is a lot to only potentially use this spell once.
- Casualties of War: six mana difficult mana cost and a sorcery is in my opinion not worth it.
- Deathsprout: four mana and it's difficult casting cost is not worth what you get.
- Gilded Lotus: can do better than five mana ramp.
- Ulvenwald Hydra: have lower CMC creatures who can get lands and you don't have a specific very powerful land to tutor for.
- Duplicant: this conflicts with lots of other cards here since it exiles opponents creatures. Do you want to exile them or gain control of them?
- Hornet Queen: Myr Battlesphere is more of a threat with the tokens it creates and you could even cut Battlesphere.
- Memorial to Folly
- Villainous Wealth: I would only include it if you also include the infinite mana combo with Deadeye/Drake then infinite blink of Eternal Witness can be infinite casts/recur Wealth which can be a win condition.
- Rishkar's Expertise: six mana draw, you can get more repeatable draw from other lower CMC sources.
- Nekrataal and Shriekmaw: not needed because you have Ravenous Chupacabra, no restrictions on what opponent creature you can destroy.
- Golgari Findbroker: not needed because you have Witness.
- Sower of Temptation: have better creatures that can gain control of opponents creature.
- Entomber Exarch
- Torrential Gearhulk
- Meteor Golem
I have other some suggestions of cards to add which I can make in another comment. Would you like more suggestions?
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.