Knight of the White Orchid
Creature — Human Knight
When this enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls more lands than you, you may search your library for a Plains card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
|Have (4)||Morpho-peleides , , Obsolete , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
|Want (2)||tynk , RevengeT|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Knight of the White Orchid Discussion
3 days ago
abbatromebone Intersting insights. What would you recommend instead of Steppe Lynx and Knight of the White Orchid? Any recommendations for sideboard replacements or will I need to just play with the deck before I go there?
3 days ago
- I dont think there are any bounce lands legal in modern but you want affects like this in you deck Murasa Rootgrazer. Im aware you dont want green and want it mono white so i would recommend cycles of these cards Wildfield Borderpost there's one for every 2 color combo, and could help if you want to splash a color or want something for your sideboard.
- Another tech you could consider is Dryad Arbor its a land and a creature so you could make a loop that bounces it back to you hand and play it. It would also go off of Emeria, The Sky Ruin pretty well. They are like 3$ a copy so not very cheap.
- you might not need Leyline of Sanctity unless your playing against a burn like deck or maybe some discard deck.
- There is an issue with Knight of the White Orchid and running 25 lands. Odds are by turn 3 youll probably have 3 lands in hand but its no guarantee that your opponent will. So it will most likely just be a 2/2 with first strike which isnt bad, but isnt great.
- I dont think you need Steppe Lynx Its an 0/1 on everyone elses turn, and you dont need to be the agressor you have the late game with you other creatures. If you need to stall i recommend wall of omens.
- Eternity Vessel is a cool card but its draining your budget and lets assume you have 6 mana what would you rather cast Eternity Vessel or Admonition Angel?
- Fabled Passage is expensive budget wise, so it might be worth considering to see if we can get a better synergy out that money. Being we cant get it consistently. The deck doesnt have enough card draw, tutoring, or filtering to get it. You might get more out of cards like Wildfield Borderpost
- This might seem like a meme but its pretty solid Mana Tithe. No one sees it coming, and can be back breaking.
- White has good hate cards like Stony Silence and Rest in Peace however what graveyard and artifacts are killing us? also RIP is a anti-synergy with Emeria, The Sky Ruin. These cards can strain your budget and arent always as helpful as you think.
- Anyways cool deck idea havent seen mono white landfall and hope this helps. Ping me anytime you need help with a deck
4 days ago
pretendingtoalright As long as I'm not spending like more than $10 per replacement card then I am up to the possibilities. If it's a Legendary Creature that is better than the commander I just replaced Maja with then I may be up to spending up to $25 on it. I "think" I want to make it have more big creatures now that I have replaced the commander. I currently have both of the Elf recommendations you gave me available. I don't have Knight of the White Orchid. However, with the new commander replacement they shouldn't be needed.
5 days ago
are their any budget considerations?
immediately I think u could do with some creatures that etb and bring out lands. Farhaven Elf, Wood Elves, Knight of the White Orchid, serve as ramp, get u more tokens and unlike Steve, stick around to benefit from Maja's buff.
3 weeks ago
Hi, can I check how competitive you'd like to be? Casual tables, FNMs, Tournaments?
I've got a few landfall ideas on the back burner that you might be able to make work with this. White black will rely more heavily on supporting cards than other landfall lists as 'lands matter' hasn't been printed on many cards in those colours. Overall, I'd look at being a lot lower on the curve, playing 1/2/3 drops that affect the boad - bodies, killing creatures or similar.
Try to focus budget on lands. Especially with landfall. Evolving wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Warped Landscape for pure budget, the more expensive fetches when you can. Shocks can let you cheat on the exact colours of the fetches. Lands are the most important part of (almost) any deck, and with landfall that is emphasised somewhat.
Steppe Lynx. Most of the other options are in other colours, but decks it is in basically just 'play 1 drops, attack, crack fetches, maybe burn'.
Knight of the White Orchid is a great body with ramp, while Loyal Warhound a solid extra 4 copies. If you can turn them on, they make 'being on the draw' games a lot better - something not a lot of cards can say. Solemn Simulacrum is good. Especially if you get it back from the graveyard.
Felidar Retreat/Retreat to emeria are incredible value engines if you can turn them on. The rest of the deck would be setting up for that and making use of it.
Unearth + graveyard matters stuff, self mill and bloodghast shenanigans.
Black has land destruction, which is almost like ramp - a deck that gets itself lots of basic lands and casts Smallpox will work.
3 weeks ago
Hey, well done for a first deck on such a low budget. I haven't seen this Commander before.
When you're just starting out building decks in Commander it can be helpful to have some basic deck structure guildlines to follow.
- 36-38 lands (Exotic Orchard, Path of Ancestry)
- 20-25 creatures (Soulherder, Brago, King Eternal)
- 10 ramp sources (Arcane Signet, Knight of the White Orchid)
- 10 draw sources (Brainstorm, Palace Jailer)
- 10 removal/board wipes/counterspells (Swords to Plowshares, Cleansing Nova, Counterspell)
This is just a basic structure to get things started. It doesn't cover everything and your final deck may have different numbers for each part of the structure such as you might have more creatures. Some cards can cover more than one area such as Palace Jailer who is creature removal and can be repeatable draw which is really helpful.
Ramp is something all Commander decks need since you don't want to only rely on lands/land drops to make mana. You have Sol Ring which is really good, but that's where the ramp ends here. Only Sol is not enough ramp.
I always explain to new Commander deck builders that you need to be able to sacrifice (cut) some of the fun cards to add ramp to your deck. Since doing this will help gameplay so that you can more easily cast your Commander and the other big fun cards you want to play. In the case here my advice is consider cutting at least 9 cards to add more budget ramp?
- Arcane Signet
- Knight of the White Orchid
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Fellwar Stone
- Azorius Signet
- Orzhov Signet
- Mind Stone
- Commander's Sphere
Some cards to consider cutting to add more ramp are creatures who don't do enough for their mana cost: Gods' Hall Guardian, Living Tempest, Dread Rider, Shepherd of Heroes, Kor Celebrant, Ronom Unicorn, Brinebarrow Intruder
Like ramp all decks also need draw that comes from single draw effects and more importantly repeatable draw sources. Currently your deck has three good single draw effects Baleful Strix, Champion of Wits, Cloudblazer and one repeatable draw source Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. There's a reanimation theme here that can get you more draw from these creatures which is good, but consider more draw?
- Palace Jailer
- Sea Gate Oracle
- Thorn of the Black Rose
- Arguel's Blood Fast Flip
- Notion Rain
Jailer and Rose can be repeatable draw sources with the Monarch Emblem. When you have the monarch then you draw a card at your end step. Only one player in the game at one time can be the monarch and it can change players. As long as you are monarch you get the repeatable draw at your end step which is a big advantage.
For an opponent to become the monarch they have to do combat damage with a creature to you or play a card/effect that makes them the monarch. When this happens you loose the monarch and that opponent becomes the monarch. You can get back the monarch though by doing combat damage with a creature to the opponent who is the monarch or playing a card/effect that makes you the monarch.
The area of your deck that you have a lot of is removal. I count 23 single effects of removal here. You can afford to cut some removal to improve other areas of your deck: Withercrown, Befuddle, Iron Verdict, Smite the Monstrous.
If you're interested I offer more advice in another comment. Including explaining how blink from single effects or repeatable such as Soulherder and Brago, King Eternal can be powerful here. Would you like me to continue with more advice?
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey, well done, nice update especially the cutting of Knights for more Dragons. Nice upgrades of cards that care about Dragons, but you could expand on this further. You've doubled your budget by adding only three Dragons.
Streamlining is the process of cutting out filler cards leaving you with cards that matter more for your deck. Blood Knight and Silver Knight are vanilla Knights who don't really help gameplay thus my advice is avoid these types of Knights. You're still playing too many Knights that are not helping gameplay.
My advice is don't include a Knight because it's a Knight, being a Knight is a bonus. Instead include it because it has other good abilities that can help Dragons or efficiently make Sylvia better. Taurean Mauler is an exception, it's just a three drop Dragon that's also a Knight. It's both types of creatures as well as can grow big in multiplayer Commander when have many opponents which is good with double strike. Instead of playing many four drop Knights play four drop Dragons?
You also use streamlining to better the mana curve which helps gameplay by reducing the curve which happens when you cut out unnecessary high CMC cards such as Rowan's Stalwarts, Worldgorger Dragon, Ancestor Dragon, Caged Sun. Worldgorger Dragon is only good in decks that want to combo with Animate Dead to make infinite mana and infinite ETB triggers of creatures. You can't combo with Worldgorger, all it's doing here is exiling all your permanents including all your lands until it leaves the battlefield which would hurt gameplay more than help it. Rowan's Stalwarts tutoring for Rowan, Fearless Sparkmage is not worth it since Stalwarts is a really bad card for five mana and Rowan is subpar for five mana too.
Example of a streamlined midrange creature base with Dragons and some Knights (sorted by CMC):
- Slumbering Dragon
- Puresteel Paladin: good with equipment for Sylvia.
- Knight of the White Orchid: ramp for Dragons, it can search for Sacred Foundry.
- Taurean Mauler: is a Dragon and a Knight.
- Dragonspeaker Shaman: ramp for Dragons.
- Chaos Dragon
- Acclaimed Contender
- Bloodsworn Steward: anthem for Sylvia and Khorvath.
- Vengeful Ancestor
- Opportunistic Dragon
- Thunderbreak Regent
- Terror of the Peaks
- Nesting Dragon
- Scalelord Reckoner
- Lathliss, Dragon Queen
- Scourge of the Throne
- Balefire Dragon
The few Knights in this example give you more than just being a Knight and the emphasis is even more on Dragons not Knights. More four and five drop Dragons to take more advantage of early game ramp and Sylvia's double strike.
In the example the high CMC Dragons have been reduced to the best ones you have. Khorvath is also a high CMC Dragon who you want to cast. Worldgorger Dragon, Ancestor Dragon, Demanding Dragon, Eternal Dragon, Sunscorch Regent, Runehorn Hellkite, Skyline Despot are subpar compared to the other high CMC Dragons here thus you don't need them. In the place of one of these Dragons consider adding Sarkhan's Triumph? It's an instant tutor to search for any Dragon letting you choose the best Dragon at that point of the game.
Shall I continue in another comment about how to streamline other areas of your deck?
2 months ago
Kinda shocked how few mana rocks you're running, would definitely reccomend more of the staples like Arcane Signet and Mind Stone, as well as Skullclamp and the good equipments like Umezawa's Jitte and the swords. Also Stoneforge Mystic would fit right in and I think Knight of the White Orchid is a must in white decks without green.