Creature — Elemental
Trample (This creature can deal excess combat damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking if lethal combat damage would be dealt to all blocking creatures.)
Haste (This creature can attack and as soon as it comes under your control.)
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Ball Lightning.
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||Rare|
|Premium Deck Series: Fire and Lightning (PFL)||Rare|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Rare|
|Masters Edition (MED)||Common|
|Beatdown Box Set (BTD)||Rare|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Rare|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Rare|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Rare|
|The Dark (DRK)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ball Lightning Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
goodair Teshar is pretty decent, there are 22 Historic spells in the deck including the commanders. Teshar is a great backup for when Ravos has been destroyed late game.
It also somewhat gives Tana, the Bloodsower a use.
2 months ago
I feel like Chandra, Novice Pyromancer and Ball Lightning have a place in this deck, but they don't synergize with Cavalcade, so that's your call. Maybe as a Plan B in case Cavalcade gets popped? Pretty vicious build already. +1 from me. Cheers!
3 months ago
Ball Lightning just doesn't really do anything, outside of being sac fodder, and I'm really not hurting for good sac fodder.
I definitely agree that I need to make several adjustments to the mana rocks.
I'm probably going to run Aftershock and Bedevil both. Being able to hit lands is sometimes relevant. And giving Greven +3/+0 is not nothing. There are definitely cards in here I could cut over Aftershock.
Malevolent Whispers is only in here because I was running Traitorous Instinct, but I realized the Whispers was a straight upgrade. It's absolutely getting replaced with Tentative Connection as soon as I can get my hands on some Ikoria cards.
And as for Skirge Familiar, that thing has been on the aquireboard basically since I first laid eyes on Greven. I just haven't found one.
3 months ago
As an additional cost to cast this spell, tap any number of untapped snow permanents you control.
Sun Pillar deals damage to any target equal to the number of permanents tapped this way.
lets add more weird weather cards, continue the theme.
3 months ago
Edit: I'm also considering making a sideboard switch from Risen Reefs etc to Lightning Skelemental and Ball Lightning kinda stuff?? Is that a good idea? The reason is so that I don't get blown out by Surgical Extraction
3 months ago
Thank you, abbatromebone. I value this input.
First, there are two reasons I'm not running fetches. 1- the way this deck combos off requires me to consistently topdeck mana-producing lands, and the fetches are not that. 2- the primary purpose of the fetches, mana fixing, is irrelevant in this deck, as it's nearly mono-red. You're probably right about the basics, I just don't want to scoop to Blood Moon if I can't cast my Reef.
Next, I have the companion because why not? It doesn't require a card slot in my deck so it really makes no difference at all. If I have the mana maybe I'll cast it. 19 out of 20 games, I won't.
Next, I have considered sideboarding in a whole different gameplan, as I have a good idea of what my opponents would board in against me (Deafening Silence, Eidolon of the Great Revel, heaps and loads of removal, or Surgical Extraction effects). It would be a HUGE blowout to have them name Reef and whiff out of nowhere. Do you think ball lightning tribal is the way to go? I think it shows promise, if nothing else!
Next, sideboard suggestions are EXACTLY what I'm asking for here. Suggestions are greatly appreciated! My worst matchups are Jund/control/any deck that's rather heavy on removal (and that includes Thoughtseize). Any ideas on what to pick up for those matchups? I think Vesperlark would probably be quite good.
Also, thank you, GoblinElectromancer. I am constantly looking for ways to further improve this deck. Maybe some day it'll be just as fun to pick up and visit a tournament with.
3 months ago
- Theres a lot to say
- . So the big thing is this is the biggest brain deck you could imagine, and its hard to play. I like to consider myself a strong magic player and this deck is challenging for me. If you have no idea how the deck works here watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6S-llbx3M4
- Lets start with your mana base. Competitive decks run about 3 basics. They also tend to run 3 shocks, they do zap your life total. Now shock lands can be found by fetch lands such as woodedfoothills. It looks for a mountain NOT a BASIC mountain, which is why it works to find stomping grounds or steamvents. I would recommend running about 6. The total number of lands is based on your curve or how high you to get. Right now your telling me you want 4-5 mana spells. You could probably reduce the number needed to 19-21.
- Mana costs are the next big deal. You have a compaion which costs 5. I would recommend not playing it beacuse in modern a 4 mana spell should just win you the game. A great example of this is Collected Company Its a great top end, and gets you so much vaule. You have enough creatures to run it. You want Lurrus of the Dream-Den so you can keep casting your two drops. (provided you dont take the next recommendation).
- Elementals are super fun however Lightning Skelemental is super fun to play, and looks bad but theres also cards like Unearth and Thunderkin Awakener. You can also consider Ball Lightning. It also lets you run Kolaghan's Command which is super powerful.
- As for a SB you need to ask yourself "What's my worst match up" and put in cards that help solve that matchup. If adding cards does not help that match up DO NOT add cards, you only have 15 cards to use, invest on imporving another match up.
- You have no interaction which can be a problem (ive only seen this work in 1 deck and thats KCI, which is now banned for a reason). You are running Red so bolt is great, searing blaze, searing blood, you have blue for counter magic as well. It does not hurt to cut the deck a little bit from max damage to get some survivablilty.
- If you have any questions or want more help please let me know