|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Wall of Tanglecord
Artifact Creature — Wall
G: Wall of Tanglecord gains reach until end of turn. (It can block creatures with flying.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Wall of Tanglecord Discussion
1 month ago
Welcome to Modern! Please take all these comments with healthy skepticism, as I have no idea what your meta is like nor your personal playstyle. :-)
First, I know you asked about sideboard, but I wanted to mention ...
- You might consider Cathedral of War. I'm not sure what the right number is, so I'd start testing at 4x and work down from there if you can't stand it.
- Vines of Vastwood is amazing, and I rec' running 4x (instead of a split with Blossoming Defense). Also, in case you're not aware: Because of the way the card is worded, it's actually better than hexproof ... you can use it on your opponent's creatures, to prevent them from targeting their own dudes with pump spells and various abilities (like Equip, Modular, and Crew).
- Though Groundswell is great is a 2-color deck (because of the Fetchlands), I personally think it's kind of meh in a Mono-G deck. If you haven't already done so, you might try testing 2x Groundswell and 2x Giant Growth and just see which you prefer. You could also try it with an extra land or two.
On sideboard, I try to always consider the following areas:
- Extra Protection: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider some extra Vines of Vastwood, Blossoming Defense, or Apostle's Blessing. Also, though it's not really protection, Shaper's Sanctuary is intriguing. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to testing it once XLN is released and the price normalizes.
- Extra Evasion: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider extra Trample and Unblockable (e.g., Apostle's Blessing) effects.
- Removal: 1x Dismember is great. If too pricey though, any Green fight card is solid. I like Nature's Way, personally.
- Gravehate: 2x sounds about right. I'm on Tormod's Crypt lately, because it's the only thing that's fast enough vs. Vengevine.
- Artifacthate: I'm not personally a fan of Nature's Claim in the side, but that's because there's a lot of Eldrazi Tron in my meta and they run 4x Chalice of the Void in the main ... and Chalice with X=1 will shut Infect down hard. I like Seal of Primordium but Deglamer/Unravel the Aether may be better depending on the meta.
- Extra land: If I find myself bringing in high-CMC cards from the sideboard, sometimes adding an extra land makes sense.
- Burnhate: If there's a bunch of Burn in your meta, you may want some disposable blockers and some lifegain. Spellskite (blocker + protection) and Kitchen Finks (blocker + lifegain) are amazing, but super-pricey. Maybe something like Wall of Roots, Steel Wall, or Wall of Tanglecord. I've no idea on the lifegain ... Nourish maybe? Or maybe Jaddi Offshoot (though I'm not sure it's worth it with 20 Lands).
1 month ago
MeoYorick Overgrown Battlement and Sylvan Caryatid are also good replacement options for Wall of Tanglecord. Carddraw wise, planeswalkers like Garruk Wildspeaker, Garruk, Primal Hunter and Jace, Architect of Thought are good options for long game value, as well as potential Harmonize.
1 month ago
first of all thanks for your Feedback!
I like spring / mind and Garruk Wildspeaker! I will give it a try.
I know, my english isn't good, sorry!
1 month ago
Invisible Stalker and Sixth Sense seems like they dosen't really help doing what the deck is trying to accomplish. Spell Shrivel is a bad counterspell, while Garruk Wildspeaker and Thragtusk looks great here.
1 month ago
Since the secondary ability of Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs only works with deserts and I'm trying to modernize this deck, I found some potential replacements, as there's no point in including slow lands for a single creature.
- Steel Wall
- Oona's Gatewarden
- Perimeter Captain
- Order of the Stars
- Consulate Skygate
- Wall of Tanglecord
- Cathedral Membrane
- Thing in the Ice Flip
- Returned Phalanx
- Murmuring Phantasm
- Ludevic's Test Subject Flip
- Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch
- Jeskai Barricade
- Geist of the Lonely Vigil
- Fog Bank
- Angelic Wall
- Vertigo Spawn
- Wall of Omens
- Wall of Essence
I really like Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch because of how bouncing enemy threats is a big theme of this deck, but I could also see Thing in the Ice Flip being a replacement for both Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs as well as Striped Riverwinder though it doesn't get Hexproof. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
3 months ago
Switching out Stalwart Shield-Bearers May not be a bad idea. Also, since both Assault Formation and Tooth and Nail are wincons, I'd suggest doing 4 of each. The odds of finding the first reaches 60% by turn 6 instead of 10 and you have a 52% chance of seeing the second by turn 4 as opposed to 42%, which is a big swing (up to 60 - 63% when using Wall of Omens.
Also, you shouldn't do 2 emrakul, you're better off with just 1. This deck has very restrictive requirements and the gain of a second emrakul just isn't worth it. Although it works when Emmy is thoughtseized, since it's legendary you can't tutor 2 if xenagos gets discarded, setting a 2 turn clock with lone emrakul as opposed to 1 turn with the wurm helping.
Also, be careful with 4x on sideboard since it limits your options, though you'll side in Autumn's Veil in most of matchup and Heroic Intervention in many cases (as it protects xenagos from Dismember during combo).
I'm sure you know how this plays better than I do, but I'd suggest Creeping Corrosion since it kills affinity, Condemn or Dawnglow Infusion to gain life against burn and scapeshift, and Mwonvuli Acid-Moss to disrupt eldrazi tron while ramping yourself. When sideboarding, cut either Perimeter Captain or Wall of Tanglecord depending on the matchup since they don't ramp or cantrip.
3 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions, @TheVectornaut! I love the Umbral Mantle + Axebane Guardian combo. Sadly, Umbral Mantle and Genesis Wave are a little bit out of this deck's price range (the goal is to stay around the $30 mark).
I like Wall of Tanglecord more than Carven Caryatid simply because it costs one fewer mana and is an incredible defender in the early game, although the card draw does make Carven Caryatid an attractive option.
Feed the Pack and Sheltering Word are great suggestions. I'm definitely going to add Sheltering Word to the sideboard, and I'll put Feed the Pack in the maybeboard for now. As for Colossus of Akros, I'm very tempted to add it in, but I think this deck has enough potential win conditions as is, and adding another might make it too unfocused.
3 months ago
I run a mono-green wall deck with my win condition being Genesis Wave off of Umbral Mantle + Axebane Guardian or Overgrown Battlement. Besides Assault Formation, Colossus of Akros and Feed the Pack are strong finishers. Blue also has Freed from the Real which is pretty nice and red has Banefire. One card I'd suggest for any green defender list is Carven Caryatid. It ups your defender count while replacing itself, unlike a more vanilla wall like Wall of Tanglecord. If your meta is slow enough, Traproot Kami might be an alternative to Wall of Vines as well.
For the sideboard, I really like Sheltering Word since it slows down burn and protects against single-target removal.