|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret (DDF)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Wall
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Steel Wall Discussion
1 month ago
Welcome to Modern! Please take all these comments with healthy skepticism, as I have no idea what your meta is like nor your personal playstyle. :-)
First, I know you asked about sideboard, but I wanted to mention ...
- You might consider Cathedral of War. I'm not sure what the right number is, so I'd start testing at 4x and work down from there if you can't stand it.
- Vines of Vastwood is amazing, and I rec' running 4x (instead of a split with Blossoming Defense). Also, in case you're not aware: Because of the way the card is worded, it's actually better than hexproof ... you can use it on your opponent's creatures, to prevent them from targeting their own dudes with pump spells and various abilities (like Equip, Modular, and Crew).
- Though Groundswell is great is a 2-color deck (because of the Fetchlands), I personally think it's kind of meh in a Mono-G deck. If you haven't already done so, you might try testing 2x Groundswell and 2x Giant Growth and just see which you prefer. You could also try it with an extra land or two.
On sideboard, I try to always consider the following areas:
- Extra Protection: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider some extra Vines of Vastwood, Blossoming Defense, or Apostle's Blessing. Also, though it's not really protection, Shaper's Sanctuary is intriguing. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to testing it once XLN is released and the price normalizes.
- Extra Evasion: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider extra Trample and Unblockable (e.g., Apostle's Blessing) effects.
- Removal: 1x Dismember is great. If too pricey though, any Green fight card is solid. I like Nature's Way, personally.
- Gravehate: 2x sounds about right. I'm on Tormod's Crypt lately, because it's the only thing that's fast enough vs. Vengevine.
- Artifacthate: I'm not personally a fan of Nature's Claim in the side, but that's because there's a lot of Eldrazi Tron in my meta and they run 4x Chalice of the Void in the main ... and Chalice with X=1 will shut Infect down hard. I like Seal of Primordium but Deglamer/Unravel the Aether may be better depending on the meta.
- Extra land: If I find myself bringing in high-CMC cards from the sideboard, sometimes adding an extra land makes sense.
- Burnhate: If there's a bunch of Burn in your meta, you may want some disposable blockers and some lifegain. Spellskite (blocker + protection) and Kitchen Finks (blocker + lifegain) are amazing, but super-pricey. Maybe something like Wall of Roots, Steel Wall, or Wall of Tanglecord. I've no idea on the lifegain ... Nourish maybe? Or maybe Jaddi Offshoot (though I'm not sure it's worth it with 20 Lands).
1 month ago
I would add a Wall of Frost, maybe in the place of Wall of Denial or (probably) Steel Wall. If possible, I would add AEther Membrane, and I don't think splashing green for Axebane Guardian and Overgrown Battlement would be a horrible idea.
1 month ago
Since the secondary ability of Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs only works with deserts and I'm trying to modernize this deck, I found some potential replacements, as there's no point in including slow lands for a single creature.
- Steel Wall
- Oona's Gatewarden
- Perimeter Captain
- Order of the Stars
- Consulate Skygate
- Wall of Tanglecord
- Cathedral Membrane
- Thing in the Ice Flip
- Returned Phalanx
- Murmuring Phantasm
- Ludevic's Test Subject Flip
- Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch
- Jeskai Barricade
- Geist of the Lonely Vigil
- Fog Bank
- Angelic Wall
- Vertigo Spawn
- Wall of Omens
- Wall of Essence
I really like Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch because of how bouncing enemy threats is a big theme of this deck, but I could also see Thing in the Ice Flip being a replacement for both Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs as well as Striped Riverwinder though it doesn't get Hexproof. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
2 months ago
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! You are completely right; it won't work! D': I'll have to update with another card that will work; thanks for catching that for me!
-- went with Renegade Tactics for now.
So many suggestions, thank you! :D
Because of the card draw combo with Mirrorwing I'm going to keep it in the mainboard, which works against the Avaricious / Rakdos combo. It's a good idea for later if I decided the Mirrorwing isn't working out for me, though.
Kiln is going to be super slow, even for a dragon, and I'm certainly considering the Moonveil Dragon in its place, but losing Crash Through makes it a bit less appealing, since my creatures can still end up blocked and Kiln simply doesn't care about that. Actually, no, you know what, yes, yes Moonveil is going in, because I don't have to rely on having other cards in my hand for it do its job like I do with Kiln. Reliability > power. Thank you. >: D
I considered the Stormbreath Dragon, but I don't have a really good place for it in the deck, sadly. I could fit it into the sideboard, but I'm not sure what to replace there, other than Burn from Within.
Predator Dragon has the ability to swoop in for a lot of damage, and possibly eat up dragons that are tied up by opponent effects and auras, but I generally don't think I'll have a lot of good targets for that in this deck -- it'd have to eat two creatures to make up for just the Regent. That said, the idea of the dragon eating a steel wall is just hiiiiiiiiiiilarious to me, I want you to know that.
Scourge of Valkas is awesome, and it really should make the core of this deck, but it is a bit on the pricey side for me if I want to pick up multiple copies and I don't know what to replace with it yet. This will be an easy upgrade to the deck later on, though. :D
I added Burn from Within to my sideboard for those people I know playing various Gods in their deck, but I'll have to think about the others a bit more -- it is 3 am and I need to head off to bed. :p
Thanks again for the suggestions, and for catching that mistake, Match. o_ o /
2 months ago
You have some solid picks but i'm going to suggest some stuff that i used when i had a mono red dragon deck, i hope they are worth to you.
If Semblance Anvil is being a bother to you in terms of exiling your good cards, why not Generator Servant? Sure, it's ramp instead of cost reduction, but it's an early creature, it functions as ramp and it gives haste to any dragons that don't have it. Oh yeah, if you wish to go a bit more hardcore: Seething Song is also good.
Crucible of Fire is a win more card imo. You already have Tempest dealing damage and dragons to eat your enemies, giving them +3/+3 is a waste of slots. i would put another Tempest and another Servant in place. Swiftspear could be replaced for something like Steel Wall for a big-ass defender in the early game and a helper for the Hellkite's alternate win condition in case you're playing against a friend with a lot of artifacts. I would take out Kilnmouth Dragon and put the Mirrorwing Dragons into the sideboard. Kiln is just too slow (believe me, i tried to use him a lot ever since i got 2 during Onslaught block and when i came back to the game years later) and Mirrorwing is best as a surprise for game 2 imo. Here are some suggestions of dragons for you:
- Moonveil Dragon: a 5/5 with a anthem-pump that is surprisingly strong.
- Stormbreath Dragon: You know what's annoying? That friend's Angel deck with Pacifism. This one gives the middle finger to white's dangerous enchantments and removal.
- Predator Dragon: My favorite modern dragon. It was my final beater most of the time. He wolfs down your tired monsters like tic tacs, gets a massive power boost and attacks on the turn it came out.
- Scourge of Valkas: Dragon Tempest's Father.
- Avaricious Dragon together with Rakdos Pit Dragon can be interesting. You get card draw and also a double striker that pumps.
Whew, that was a lot of stuff eh? Don't worry,i shall finish now with the last support cards that i would suggest:
- Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker: Guy who has a dragon boner and can become an indestructible dragon with haste.
- Banefire: Can be useful as a final burn spell and it has Sarkhan transforming his hands into a dragon.
- Sarkhan's Triumph: Dragon Tutor.
- Carbonize: Burn that stops regeneration and it exiles the victim.
- Burn from Within: I would put this one on the sideboard. Indestructible creatures deserve death too.
3 months ago
Funkydiscogod: The 4 times I played against aggro in my LGS tournaments, it wasn't that much of a loss. My turn 3 usually stabilized, and my mid game was better.
4 months ago
Trump would be proud! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSAhNZnisk (not that I'm a supporter of him but this should be in the description XD)
The only thing is that I would put Steel Wall instead of Wall of Heat because you could "keep the drugs out"XD (aka reliable defence on turn 1) it's also easier to cast than Wall of Heat since you don't need red or green mana specifically.