|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret (DDF)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Wall
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Steel Wall Discussion
1 month ago
Thanks for the suggestion and nice words, Haarva91. I've considered adding white for Wall of Omens and Perimeter Captain, though I think it would destabilize my budget mana base. I've gone back and forth a lot over Traproot Kami - it's only better than a Steel Wall if I'm playing against fliers/if I get more than 4xForest down - but adding white would certainly make Traproot Kami much less viable. I've also been thinking about dropping Kin-Tree Invocation, dropping the splash of black and going with a w/g build. Maybe I'll explore that in a new build. Cheers!
2 months ago
2 months ago
4 months ago
Welcome to Modern! Please take all these comments with healthy skepticism, as I have no idea what your meta is like nor your personal playstyle. :-)
First, I know you asked about sideboard, but I wanted to mention ...
- You might consider Cathedral of War. I'm not sure what the right number is, so I'd start testing at 4x and work down from there if you can't stand it.
- Vines of Vastwood is amazing, and I rec' running 4x (instead of a split with Blossoming Defense). Also, in case you're not aware: Because of the way the card is worded, it's actually better than hexproof ... you can use it on your opponent's creatures, to prevent them from targeting their own dudes with pump spells and various abilities (like Equip, Modular, and Crew).
- Though Groundswell is great is a 2-color deck (because of the Fetchlands), I personally think it's kind of meh in a Mono-G deck. If you haven't already done so, you might try testing 2x Groundswell and 2x Giant Growth and just see which you prefer. You could also try it with an extra land or two.
On sideboard, I try to always consider the following areas:
- Extra Protection: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider some extra Vines of Vastwood, Blossoming Defense, or Apostle's Blessing. Also, though it's not really protection, Shaper's Sanctuary is intriguing. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to testing it once XLN is released and the price normalizes.
- Extra Evasion: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider extra Trample and Unblockable (e.g., Apostle's Blessing) effects.
- Removal: 1x Dismember is great. If too pricey though, any Green fight card is solid. I like Nature's Way, personally.
- Gravehate: 2x sounds about right. I'm on Tormod's Crypt lately, because it's the only thing that's fast enough vs. Vengevine.
- Artifacthate: I'm not personally a fan of Nature's Claim in the side, but that's because there's a lot of Eldrazi Tron in my meta and they run 4x Chalice of the Void in the main ... and Chalice with X=1 will shut Infect down hard. I like Seal of Primordium but Deglamer/Unravel the Aether may be better depending on the meta.
- Extra land: If I find myself bringing in high-CMC cards from the sideboard, sometimes adding an extra land makes sense.
- Burnhate: If there's a bunch of Burn in your meta, you may want some disposable blockers and some lifegain. Spellskite (blocker + protection) and Kitchen Finks (blocker + lifegain) are amazing, but super-pricey. Maybe something like Wall of Roots, Steel Wall, or Wall of Tanglecord. I've no idea on the lifegain ... Nourish maybe? Or maybe Jaddi Offshoot (though I'm not sure it's worth it with 20 Lands).
4 months ago
I would add a Wall of Frost, maybe in the place of Wall of Denial or (probably) Steel Wall. If possible, I would add AEther Membrane, and I don't think splashing green for Axebane Guardian and Overgrown Battlement would be a horrible idea.
4 months ago
Since the secondary ability of Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs only works with deserts and I'm trying to modernize this deck, I found some potential replacements, as there's no point in including slow lands for a single creature.
- Steel Wall
- Oona's Gatewarden
- Perimeter Captain
- Order of the Stars
- Consulate Skygate
- Wall of Tanglecord
- Cathedral Membrane
- Thing in the Ice Flip
- Returned Phalanx
- Murmuring Phantasm
- Ludevic's Test Subject Flip
- Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch
- Jeskai Barricade
- Geist of the Lonely Vigil
- Fog Bank
- Angelic Wall
- Vertigo Spawn
- Wall of Omens
- Wall of Essence
I really like Kaijin of the Vanishing Touch because of how bouncing enemy threats is a big theme of this deck, but I could also see Thing in the Ice Flip being a replacement for both Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs as well as Striped Riverwinder though it doesn't get Hexproof. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
5 months ago
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! You are completely right; it won't work! D': I'll have to update with another card that will work; thanks for catching that for me!
-- went with Renegade Tactics for now.
So many suggestions, thank you! :D
Because of the card draw combo with Mirrorwing I'm going to keep it in the mainboard, which works against the Avaricious / Rakdos combo. It's a good idea for later if I decided the Mirrorwing isn't working out for me, though.
Kiln is going to be super slow, even for a dragon, and I'm certainly considering the Moonveil Dragon in its place, but losing Crash Through makes it a bit less appealing, since my creatures can still end up blocked and Kiln simply doesn't care about that. Actually, no, you know what, yes, yes Moonveil is going in, because I don't have to rely on having other cards in my hand for it do its job like I do with Kiln. Reliability > power. Thank you. >: D
I considered the Stormbreath Dragon, but I don't have a really good place for it in the deck, sadly. I could fit it into the sideboard, but I'm not sure what to replace there, other than Burn from Within.
Predator Dragon has the ability to swoop in for a lot of damage, and possibly eat up dragons that are tied up by opponent effects and auras, but I generally don't think I'll have a lot of good targets for that in this deck -- it'd have to eat two creatures to make up for just the Regent. That said, the idea of the dragon eating a steel wall is just hiiiiiiiiiiilarious to me, I want you to know that.
Scourge of Valkas is awesome, and it really should make the core of this deck, but it is a bit on the pricey side for me if I want to pick up multiple copies and I don't know what to replace with it yet. This will be an easy upgrade to the deck later on, though. :D
I added Burn from Within to my sideboard for those people I know playing various Gods in their deck, but I'll have to think about the others a bit more -- it is 3 am and I need to head off to bed. :p
Thanks again for the suggestions, and for catching that mistake, Match. o_ o /