Creature — Plant Wall
, , Sacrifice a creature with defender: Draw a card.
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Portcullis Vine occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Portcullis Vine Discussion
1 month ago
Notes: This deck has an absurdly low curve, and wants it's ramp in it's 1 slot, if it has much at all. Most good options are going to be a bit expensive if they're any good. Card draw shouldn't be a problem...pay attention to what problems you run into while playing. Are you stalling for a way to push through? Do you need creature removal that isn't board clear? ETC.
2 months ago
7 months ago
Recommendations: Zetalpa, Primal Dawn - 4/8 double striker means 16 flying, indestructible damage a turn whenever Arcades is out.
Sylvan Library - Independent, cheap draw engine that gives you value even before you drop Arcades.
Rhystic Study - See Sylvan Library.
Birds of Paradise - It's just a good turn one play that gets you ahead in both ramp and fixing.
Orator of Ojutai - Draws you two cards on ETB whenever Arcades is out.
Portcullis Vine is slower than Wall of Mulch , but can provide extra draw from your Walls once they're on the battlefield if you can't find a way to blink or bounce them, consider this a weak recommendation.
Soulsworn Jury - Functions as a card draw early, can then be used to deter opponents from making splashy plays.
Wall of Kelp - Gives you a repeatable source of card draw when Arcades is out.
In general this doesn't seem like a combo list, so the low average CMC isn't as important as it would be with a deck that wants to set up and win the game in the same turn cycle. I'd recommend running more bombs to give you impactful plays in the late game, and maybe some cards like Containment Priest or Lavinia, Azorius Renegade to allow you to get to that late game.
8 months ago
Vlasiax there is no real reason for not running Portcullis Vine , I just think it is not that good :) I put Dragon's Eye Sentry out in favour for Resolute Watchdog . Like THCue said, I also don't run dorks because I don't think that they aren't needed so badly and have a big target painted on their head (espeacially Noble Hierarch ) I think I'd rather play a defender for one mana instead of a dork, to put pressure to the table. I'm torn between Lightning Greaves or protection in general or counterspells. I can't say what's more effective. But greaves can be very good, I agree. Struyk how many counterspells do you run?
8 months ago
Also I run Birds of Paradise and Avacyn's Pilgrim for fixing (since I can't afford Noble Hierarch for now). They really speed up the clock of our gameplan and make casting color-intensive spells easier. Probably they're better option than Skyshroud Claim in such a 'low to the ground' deck.
9 months ago
Heliogabale: Dude, no prob! :D
Have you considered Wall of Mulch as well as Portcullis Vine , btw? It says you've considered Portcullis, but I highly recommend it. One drop cantrip with Arcades and turns your other walls into draw in the event of a boardwipe.
10 months ago
I had some time for deckbuilding and did small changes.
Check out the new stuff!
10 months ago
Hello, your deck looks quite good but I'd make a little changes here and there:
- First of all, you probably don't need these 6 CMC cards as they come really late and don't impact the board that much. It would make room for Beast Whisperer and Orator of Ojutai that you have in maybeboard
- Also Tempt with Discovery ? 4 CMC is where your curve actually ends so you don't need that much ramp, especially when your 2 CMC ramp package is alright. If you can afford Breeding Pool and Canopy Vista you can easily set yourself up with Nature's Lore .
- For another 2 CMC ramp swap - Gatecreeper Vine is not that great, you're waaay better off with Sylvan Caryatid , you won't belive how many times it's hexproof screwed my opponents tring to remove it.
- Another little swap - Tower Defense is way cheaper than Solidarity . But if you want to swap it or use both its up to you. Maybe I'd cut Slagwurm Armor for another copy of this effect because artifact is easy to remove compared to instant speed combat trick.
- For further lowering curve I'd add some utility walls: Resolute Watchdog is amazing for protecting commander and Portcullis Vine alongside Wall of Mulch make great card draw engine (use them with Wall of Kelp tokens or defenders that are about to die and... thank me later xD)
- As you lower the curve maybe you won't need signets. Also I see you lack some interaction in form of counterspells but I guess your playgroup isn't that removal heavy.
That's it from me, hope this helps. Let me know what you think about these changes and take care