|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
Whenever a dragon creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Thunderbreak Regent deals 3 damage to that player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (28)||ironax , Fiolek , MythicWinter111 , NobleSlay3r , davidmassee , , malachislick , , damo_rox , marcus638 , Riders_of_Brohan , Metaphisyk , clayperce , meowCat1234 , Nightdragon779 , Myllyes314 , mlouden03 , ducttapedeckbox , mymanpotsandpans , Mortiferus_Rosa , YossarianLives , Friedrice24 , TehDelta , joshw335 , thetechzombie , MlgMan67 , johnsongrantr , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (19)||Killer_Tofu , VampSlayer , Djricci97 , Lotus230 , wegotdahooch , mgoodwi5 , hotdoglord123 , MxStoneheart , Tokaido , RhobearST , kovellen , AgentCrazyDiamond , vFudge , Axertin , RoninH3RO , Danielj111 , Twigg79 , Slymaster9 , rco|
Thunderbreak Regent Discussion
4 days ago
So, landwise I do not like the Valakut, and would recommend either Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Flamekin Village or an Utility land like Buried Ruin. Also not a fan of Brave the Sands and Dowsing Dagger. just too cute for me. Still a fan of Scroll Rack when you play Land Tax though :)
Creaturewise I think Dragonmaster Outcast is just too low impact, also Moonveil Dragon and Skyship Stalker are a bit weak. Even though Dragonspeaker Outcast provides great ramp I am struggling with that one. There are a few dragons which merit further exploration I think, but can depend on what you are facing.
Thunderbreak Regent (A rattlesnake and nicely costed)
Thundermaw Hellkite (can clear the way for your non-trampling attack)
Scourge of the Throne (it is perfectly easy to get an additional attack out of this at least once)
Rimescale Dragon (would require moving to snow lands, a bit clunky manawise)
Kilnmouth Dragon (good utility dragon, but with the nr. of dragons you are running may be awkward)
Hellkite Charger (additional attacks? would pair nicely with neheb :)
Flameblast Dragon (no need to hit a player to dish out damage)
Wardscale Dragon (defense during your attack)
Nesting Dragon (The egg tokens are a good thing against board wipes)
Some Card Draw Dragons
Hoarding Dragon (Without the ability to misuse the ability may be a bit weak)
Eternal Dragon (more slow moving)
Dream Pillager (good effect, setup to high maybe)
Skyline Despot (well draws at least one cards and monarch makes stuff move)
Runehorn Hellkite (this one I really like. Usable EOT before you have your turn makes this really good)
2 weeks ago
I went into a game store and a dishevelled looking guy was sitting alone at a table, shuffling a deck - he hopefully asked me "You gotta edh deck?" I replied "Yeah, sure man, let's have a game". He revealed Markov as his Commander and muttered that it was basically just the precon...I said that my Ur-Dragon Tribal was basically the precon too because I didn't want to make him feel bad about his current situation in life.
My Third Turn: Coin flip- Zero Damage, play and crack Polluted Delta for Volcanic Island play Dragon Tempest, play Mystical Tutor search for Mana Vault play Mana Vault, cast Scourge of the Throne. Swing in for 10 damage with Thunderbreak Regent and Scourge of the Throne.
The guy looks at me completely deadpan and says: "That is NOT just the precon dude."
2 weeks ago
Haha you're welcome! Honestly I ran your deck through some playtests and really enjoyed it. Really feels more like a dragon tribal deck than my own Ur-dragon tribal deck! If you can, you may want to test some of the following changes:
- (2) Dragon Hatchling
- (4) Furnace Whelp
- (5) Hunted Dragon
- (5) Lightning Shrieker
- (6) Shivan Dragon (though I understand if you leave this in cause its the OG dragon)
- (6) Shockmaw Dragon
- (6) Freejam Regent
- (7) Dream Pillager (Draw is important but I feel that the body is not good enough, especially since it has to connect)
- (8) Bogardan Hellkite (the effect is underwhelming imo, though it does get better with the Conjurer's Closet)
- (Technically 3) Moltensteel Dragon (can be played for cheap and has a free pump your opponents have to play around)
- (4) Thunderbreak Regent (efficient and good ability)
- (5) Hoarding Dragon (one of the few red tutors, if people waste an exile effect on this its fine)
- (5) Thundermaw Hellkite (gives the ability to alpha strike!)
- (5) Stormbreath Dragon (can blast people with big hands)
- (6) Warmonger Hellkite (forces everyone to attack!)
- (6) Flameblast Dragon (lets you burn out utility creatures, blockers, players. Late game it can burn out someone on its own!)
- (7) Spawn of Thraxes (great with the Conjurer's closet, has an even higher ceiling than Bogardan)
- (7) Skyline Despot (Here's your draw! Not sure who's going to attack into the guy with a board full of DRAGONS. Also brings the monarch subgame that promotes combat!)
4 weeks ago
@seuvius I think there's a number of cards you could trim copies off. Trinisphere, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, and Simian Spirit Guide are the 3 main ones I'm looking at. Trinisphere is usually a worse Blood Moon, but obviously does have situations where it can be better. Chandra, Torch of Defiance is obviously powerful, but if you're adding another 4 drop, maybe shaving a 4 drop is right. Lastly, Simian Spirit Guide can lead to explosive starts, but drawing it past like turn 3 usually isn't great, and you have a lot of mana acceleration anyway. You're also looking to one for one until you can deploy your threats, which having multiple spirit guides can turn off.
Overall those are my 3 that I might cut, but I do like adding the 4th Thunderbreak Regent for sure, I think it will improve your deck.
1 month ago
Spellbound Dragon will really help with draw, especially if you have two of them out.
Destructor Dragon is also really nice because he lets you take out lands if he gets killed, which makes him a really valuable wall.
I really do enjoy the deck design though :) Dragons are tied at #1 with my favorite tribe, right there with Minotaur.
Hope my suggestions helped! :D
1 month ago
Hc_Clan My meta sounds pretty similar to yours, and that one of the issues I was trying to solve, how to get value out of cards before they get removed. I do play against a Hivelord sliver deck, a narset, an alesha stax combo, and other similar either lockdown decks or exile all your fun stuff decks. However our meta has enough different decks where no one deck is the most powerful.
I'll share my deck link, but also I'll give some of my favorite dragons.( Discarding Dragon Specters )Dragon Mage + Nesting Dragon + Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Thunderbreak Regent are probably my favorite dragon cards. I run a large amount of wheels in my deck to try to get reoccurring value from Megrim + Liliana's Caress and the like. Most of my other dragons are the token creator ones for more value if they can stay on the field. Usually the token creating ones receive the most hate--which allows me to plop down a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and wheel 5 times and close the game out.
Hopefully this help!
1 month ago
1 month ago
- It really depends on how how greedy our manabase is. I personally love Frank Karsten's recommendations on Lands because it makes the deck run (much) more smoothly in the early game. The trade-off is the deck is more likely to get flooded out in the late game. But we can mitigate that with mana sinks/things to do with excess Lands. Scrying Sheets and Sarkhan's Looting ability are great here, but Kicker on Verix is IMO even better.
- It also depends on what our opponents are using for removal. Thunderbreak is great in many metas, since 6 damage from a Bolt-Snap-Bolt is brutal and 3 damage from a Path, Celestial Purge, or (soon) Assassin's Trophy can certainly add up. But if our meta is crawling with Terminus/Settle the Wreckage/Wrath of God/Liliana of the Veil/etc., Verix gets a little better.
- I'm a big fan of Dragon Tempest and though I don't really like it in Skred Dragons I play it whenever I think I can get away with it. If it's anywhere in the 75, Verix for sure! :-)