Venser, Shaper Savant
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Venser, Shaper Savant enters the battlefield, return target spell or permanent to its owner's hand.
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
|Want (4)||Baconpiestudioz , 23ChickenWings , PagHimself , Lovet0209|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Venser, Shaper Savant occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Venser, Shaper Savant Discussion
1 month ago
Tomorrow is so neat. Possessed Portal is strong with him (you'll get cards thanks to Tom's replacement effect while your opps won't) though it'd definitely draw hate haha.
You might consider these too: Uba Mask (similar to Possessed Portal; only poops on opps while Tom is out), Shared Fate, Zur's Weirding, Temple Bell, Geth's Grimoire, Jace's Archivist, Windfall, Teferi's Ageless Insight, Alhammarret's Archive, Thought Reflection, Worn Powerstone (gets Tom out on turn 4), Coalition Relic, Venser, Shaper Savant
1 month ago
I would recommend maybe some of these creatures:
Brood Monitor, Caligo Skin-Witch, Duplicant, Entomber Exarch, Gilded Drake, Palinchron, Phyrexian Ingester, Rune-Scarred Demon, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Solemn Simulacrum, Terastodon, Thought-Knot Seer, Vendilion Clique, Venser, Shaper Savant,
As well as these cards that can help abuse ETB affects:
Deadeye Navigator, Followed Footsteps, Mirror Mockery, Rite of Replication, Strionic Resonator, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling,
If you want more suggestions, feel free to look at my deck:
Commander / EDH
61 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
1 month ago
2 months ago
Ok, that clears up the pond much more, thank you.
In that case, some strictly good copy/clone targets include:
- Biovisionary: Simply giggily. No explanation necessary.
- Sphinx Ambassador: Being able to straight up steal creatures from your opponents' libraries for guessing a random creature is fun!
- Woodland Bellower & Fierce Empath: They grab each other, and can grab other creatures! Great for a more "toolbox" utility to your deck!
- Temur Sabertooth & Kogla, the Titan Ape: Stuck with a clone that is just not good enough? Well, these two beasties can reset those etb's!
- Deadeye Navigator & Peregrine Drake: Yes, of course, they combo. yay. However separately, they can be quite useful. Being able to reset Clone targets is always useful to have in the pocket. With the P Drake, you can net mana depending on the clone being used!
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder: She isn't the most mana effective way of drawing cards per se, but the value you can get off of her ETB is just bonkers.
- Frilled Mystic, Mystic Snake, & Venser, Shaper Savant: Beyond being just some nice control on a creature body, Venser can get around those sticky "Cannot be countered" spells!
- Bane of Progress & Reclamation Sage: Simply lovely Enchantment and artifact removal!
- Meteor Golem: need to blow up anything? Golem boi can handle that. (Insert Staples button here)
Let me know if any of these help at all!
3 months ago
Venser, Shaper Savant is a very powerful card with Yarok out. It's a repeatable control spell since it can bounce itself, too. It's an answer to most everything except for hexproof.
3 months ago
I like the decks theme of tokens and the life gain sub-theme. In terms of protection and removal, I would point you to my own Brago deck.
He is more of a control deck (or at least, tries to be) until I can get my little engines online to go for the combo win.
Venser, Shaper Savant, Man-o'-War and Exclusion Mage and some neat creatures that work like the Reflector Mage that you already run. Venser can also be used to bounce any other permanent, which includes lands, if you want to be that guy!
Venser is also a beautiful addition, as it can also put spells back into players hands when it enters. This allows you to stop the uncounterable spells, along with Narset's Reversal.
I hope there are some cards in my list that you may consider adding to your own for more protection. You have a couple in your list that I will be considering for mine. +1 for another fellow Brago player!!
3 months ago
Oh wow, that's a lot of suggestions. Thanks king-saproling!
Lunar Force is an interesting idea that definitely synergizes well with Venser. However to use it properly, you'd be required to use a lot of mana (3 mana on the Force, while saving up another 4 for Venser). Though I think if the ability was a may-ability, it would totally be worth it.
Speaking of "mays," would the same trick work with Perplexing Chimera? I'm not familiar with the fine-print of the interaction, but I believe you could return Chimera to your hand as its ability triggers, and basically steal their spell with no downside (besides paying a total of 9 mana for the exchange)? If that would work, that would be pretty nifty indeed.
Okay, so the Ghostly Flicker/Displace cards are for the combos with stuff like Naru Meha, Master Wizard? Interesting. I haven't thought of that. Does this kind of fall in with your Sigil Tracer suggestion?
I've been keeping Equilibrium in the back of my mind for quite some time now. On paper it's a really good card, but I've found that most of the time, I'd rather be playing something else, and it becomes a dead card in my hand. It does synergize really well with Venser, but it's also pretty mana intensive.
Cloudstone Curio. Now that is a suggestion! I'm still not entirely sure about all of the implications of this card, but right away, I can see that it can potentially make Venser bounce one extra thing every time he hits the board. I suppose that it also makes it easier to bounce Venser back to your hand with another creature if you don't have one of the Gourmet Bagels out. It also allows you to infinitely bounce a Great Whale with a Peregrine Drake (or a Glasspool Mimic Flip/Clever Impersonator/Spark Double/Phyrexian Metamorph for that matter). A definite include.
4 months ago
- This reminds me of some jeskai builds.
- Venser, Shaper Savant Brazen Borrower Snapcaster Mage Vendilion Clique help provide a clock as well as help your deck.
- Wall of Omens is great card draw and helps keep you alive vs aggro decks
- Lightning Helix is also great to get on scepter, it heals and deals.
- Being your heavy on blue Force of Negation really helps
- Path to Exile is also really good here
- Celestial Colonnade is a tempting land it filters and is a win con on its own.
- Field of Ruin can also really set your oppunets back while you set up.
- Manamorphose is great on septer but otherwise not amazing in the deck much better in decks like storm.
- Dovin's Veto > Deprive. On scepter you CAST the card so keep that in mind (read oracle text if you don't trust me). "If you cast a spell “without paying its mana cost,” you can’t choose to cast it for any alternative costs. You can, however, pay additional costs. If the card has any mandatory additional costs, those must be paid to cast the spell."
- running a few Mystic Sanctuary seems good, and if you want like 6 fetchlands.
- cards like Failure have a cmc of both costs so its cmc 3 so cant go on scepter.
- Green doesn't add much to this deck, it might be best to be a UW deck and cut red all together.
- Let me know if you want more comments