|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Merfolk Wizard
When Merrow Harbinger enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Merfolk card, reveal it, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
Merrow Harbinger Discussion
2 months ago
So a lot of what you’re doing is solid, there is a pretty great synergy level here, and no real problematic cards though there are some cards that are less than optimal.
For example Ichor Wellspring spring and the Guild Globe . Being in blue means there are just better options for drawing. Card draw can come from Cold-Eyed Selkie , Tatyova, Benthic Druid , Seafloor Oracle or Fallowsage who has synergies with your commander, also Prime Speaker Zegana who is just super good with +1+1. There are also spells which are just super good in blue like Ponder
You also have some room to improve your synergies with +1+1 and proliferate. Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter for example while not a merfolk is just great for the deck.
And there are some amazing lords (creatures that give all of a creature type +1/+1) in the merfolk tribe Like Merrow Reejerey and Merfolk Sovereign which are the inexpensive ones that you aren't already using.
A card that goes super well with your commander is Merrow Commerce .
Tutoring (searching for a specific merfolk from your deck) can increase consistency substantially so Seahunter despite the price tag is incredible, cheaper versions include Tidal Courier and Merrow Harbinger
Ramp is important and there are a couple cards that are used in most green decks, like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach . There is also a handful of cards that speed you up as well like Stonybrook Banneret , and I might consider some artifact acceleration like Simic Signet or Commander's Sphere
Shaper of Nature is a solid mana dump (a card that lets you spend excess mana at will
Beast Within is super strong removal cause it’s in green and blue which don’t have great answers for problem creatures
On the wish list is Hardened Scales cause its so good with +1 +1 and proliferate
10 months ago
Hi Jackh! If building a standard merfolk deck is what you're looking for, then have a look at my list.
SCORE: 182 | 68 COMMENTS | 65984 VIEWS | IN 82 FOLDERS
However, if what you're looking for is a budget merfolk deck that can be built on the cheap, then I can suggest some very fun cards.
Cold-Eyed Selkie Cursecatcher Harbinger of the Tides Kiora's Follower Master of Waves Merfolk Sovereign Merfolk Trickster Merrow Harbinger Prime Speaker Zegana Stonybrook Banneret Thada Adel, Acquisitor Vorel of the Hull Clade Wistful Selkie Spreading Seas
With some more that cost a few dollars each if you're looking to upgrade.
I'm sure I'm missing a few obvious choices, but hopefully you'll find a use for some of these cards. In my experience, some cards you may want to drop to make room are Herald of Secret Streams, River Sneak ,and vineshaper mystic .
Some cards that aren't related to Merfolk per say, but would be beneficial to your deck are: Giant Growth, Mana Leak, Unclaimed Territory , Botanical Sanctum(much cheaper out of standard), Hinterland Harbor, Lumbering Falls, Simic Growth Chamber, Temple of Mystery, Thornwood Falls, and Yavimaya Coast.
Sorry if all of this is a lot of information or if I've listed a lot of cards out of your price range, but there are defiantly some cheap upgrades to be made.
**edit I've noticed that tappedout has some card prices listed incorrectly, so check elsewhere first if you're thinking a card is too expensive.
10 months ago
Hi! Looks like a sweet start to a Merfolk deck (a deck I've wanted to build myself for quite a while)! Here are some recommendations:
- Seafloor Oracle is a pretty powerful card draw engine when you can get it online early
- Merfolk Mistbinder is another 2-mana lord
- Forerunner of the Heralds and Merrow Harbinger are good tutors
- Tatyova, Benthic Druid is just a good card in Commander, and the fact that she's a merfolk is just an added bonus
- Murkfiend Liege, Seedborn Muse, and Paradox Engine help you activate Kumena's abilities many times in a turn cycle.
- Surgespanner can be a house, bouncing tons of permanents each turn, as you can tap it for free
- Cryptolith Rite is good ramp and a strong "tap outlet"
- Lightning Greaves is good at protecting Kumena or any other powerful creature you may have
- Kodama's Reach should be in every green deck
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip can make a ton of mana, and helps you dig towards your creatures as well.
- Beast Within is an extremely powerful removal spell
- Treetop Village and Lumbering Falls; manlands are so much worse in Commander than in 60-card formats
- Remote Isle; blue and green have better ways to draw cards than cycling away your lands
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Grove; green has much better mana fixing
- Bioshift doesn't really do anything
- Tideshaper Mystic is the same; cutting one opponent off of mana doesn't do much, and 1/1s for 1 that die to board wipes are mediocre at best.
- World Shaper isn't really where you want to be; you don't have a ton of graveyard synergies
- River's Rebuke isn't my favorite board wipe in Commander, even in blue/green. I'd play Devastation Tide instead.
- Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep just does too little for 10 mana. If you're spending 10 mana on a single card, that card should be winning you the game.
- Talrand, Sky Summoner, as you don't have a ton of spell synergies
- True-Name Nemesis is good, but mainly in Legacy. In Commander, a 3/1 that just one player can't interact with is bad.
- Shapers of Nature is a decent mana sink, but I think you'd rather just be doing something else with your mana.
Hope this helps! If you'd like me to explain some of my choices more, or if you want help on another deck, feel free to leave a comment on my profile, and I'll take a look as soon as I can!
1 year ago
you have too many creatures and not enough instants/sorceries. I would consider adding more removal and removing cards like Vorel of the Hull Clade which is kind of useless in this deck you don't really use counters at all.
I would also suggest you remove Merfolk Mistbinder, Halimar Wavewatch, Deeproot Elite and Dakra Mystic. and consider replacing them with cards like Merrow Harbinger, Merrow Reejerey, Merfolk Sovereign, Lullmage Mentor or Wake Thrasher
1 year ago
Hey there! Thanks for your suggestions on my deck!
As for just general suggestions, Counterspell, Kodama's Reach, Krosan Grip, Beast Within, Rapid Hybridization, Reality Shift, Lightning Greaves, Plasm Capture, Eternal Witness, and Explosive Vegetation are all very strong.
Finally, if you're looking for cards to cut, I'd consider Arctic Merfolk, Jade Bearer, Jungleborn Pioneer, Merfolk Branchwalker, Storm Sculptor, Vineshaper Mystic, Extract, Enter the Unknown, and Exhaustion.
Hope this helps, and thanks again for your suggestions!
1 year ago
Yeah, I have some ideas. There are a tons of ways you could do it, I'm just going to list a few. Merfolk is too vast to cover here.
I was going to suggest this card, but now i see it is a merfolk which makes it better: Vorel of the Hull Clade. It is worded strangely, but it effectively doubles the counters on the items listed. This would go well with your commander.
Also consider some of these merfolk. Deepchannel Mentor, Fallowsage, Master of the Pearl Trident, Master of Waves, Merfolk Sovereign, Merrow Harbinger, Merrow Reejerey, Silvergill Adept, Silvergill Douser, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Tidebinder Mage, True-Name Nemesis, Wake Thrasher, and Wanderwine Prophets.
1 year ago
Ik denk dat je sowieso naar meer creatures (merfolk) moet gaan. 19 creatures is echt te weinig voor een tribal deck. 30-35 creatures is een beetje de richting die je op zou moeten gaan.
Tips (Ook wat slechtere tips maar om het een beetje budget te houden):Voor untap: Intellectual Offering, Breaking Wave, Retreat to Coralhelm, Quest for Renewal, Merrow Commerce, Dramatic Reversal, Curse of Bounty, Benefactor's Draught (Kan ook tussen opponent's combat!)
Voor creatures:Deepchannel Mentor, Merrow Harbinger, Riverwise Augur, Seafloor Oracle, Surgespanner, Tempest Caller, Tidal Courier, Fallowsage, Drowner of Secrets, Jungleborn Pioneer, Merfolk Sovereign (Lord), Merrow Reejerey (Lord), Stonybrook Banneret, Lord of Atlantis(Lord), Master of the Pearl Trident (Lord), Merfolk Mistbinder (Lord), Coralhelm Commander (lord)
Qua versnelling, ik zag je van de week al Urban Evolution spelen, met alle exploration is dat prima acceleration in dit deck.
dan kan je ook gaan denken aan Explore, Enter the Unknown, Path of Discovery, Summer Bloom, Rites of Flourishing. ik weet niet of je Kiora, the Crashing Wave had maar dat is ook wel een goede voor in dit deck. Hou er wel rekening mee dat het dan een goed idee is om 38 a 40 land te gaan spelen voor een hogere pakkans. Landjes met cycling zorgen er dan weer voor dat je niet te veel land op hand houdt.
1 year ago
Merrow Harbinger occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%