|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Larger Than Life
Target creature gets +4/+4 and gains trample until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Larger Than Life Discussion
1 day ago
I would consider cutting down on the amount of creatures, infect only needs 10 damage to win so having as many pump spells as possible is always a great option. Stuff like, Become Immense, Groundswell, Might of Old Krosa, Larger Than Life, and spells of the like.
2 days ago
I like the idea of a Simic Pummeler build, but I was unable to get a deck that played as smooth as the original RG. I like where your deck is headed and have a few options for you from my experience.
Also, our little robot friend really needs trample to get through any chump blockers. But if you're playing blue, you can simply make it unblockable as you've planned with Open Into Wonder; we also have available Slip Through Space. And Key to the City can also sneak the robot through.
Since you only have 5 trample granting spells (four Larger Than Life plus Rhonas the Indomitable) you're looking at 68% chance of drawing one of those five by turn 5. If you can add 3 unblockable options, you have an 85% chance of getting one in hand by turn 5.
4 days ago
The short story:
- Frankly, I put the deck back on the shelf after the Marvel ban.
- Yes, I will definitely try a Pummeler deck again in HOU.
- There's a ton of flexibility with both the Creature slots and the pump effects.
- Pummeler itself is, by far, the weakest link.
The long story:
- This deck had serious game against Marvel ... I was personally 5-2 (71%) in matches against it. But with Marvel out of the picture now, there's room in the meta for BG Constrictor and Mardu Vehicles, and that's a REALLY bad thing. Facing Walking Ballista is TERRIBLE (because it's an almost perfect Pummeler-killer) and the deck often struggles against Glorybringer and other Flyers (because it has no inherent Flyers nor creatures with Reach).
- As I type this, the vast majority of the meta is a bad match-up or worse: 22% BG Constrictor (4x Ballista), 11% Mardu Vehicles (4x Glorybringer plus 2-4 other Flyers and 0-2x Ballista), 10% Mono-B Zombies (actually a decent match-up), 10% Temur Energy (4x Glorybringer and a bunch of Thopter Tokens), 8% RG Aggro (including the occasional Pummeler deck, but mostly 4x Glorybringer plus 0-4 other Flyers), and 5% UW Flyers (12-14 Flyers). Ugh.
- On cards that could be replaced: IMO, the deck needs 4x Electrostatic Pummeler, 4x Servant of the Conduit, 4x Attune with Aether, 4x Blossoming Defense, 3-4x Harnessed Lightning and 20-22 Lands (depending on your curve) to function. But there's a ton of flexibility on the other Creature slots and the Pump/Trample/Big Damage effects. For example, this deck's got 4x Invigorated Rampage and 2x Rhonas the Indomitable for Pump and Trample effects, and 2x Fling for Big Damage. But during KLD Standard, I ran 3x Larger Than Life, 3x Brute Strength and 2x Arlinn Kord/sometimes 2x Nature's Way for the pump and Trample, and 2x Uncaged Fury for Big Damage.
Hope this helps!
6 days ago
frankly, just build it around Electrostatic Pummeler, because you're gonna be able to just gain a bunch of energy, larger than life it combined with any other +x/+x counters. I had 9 energy from casting 2 Electrostatic Pummelers and a Sage of Shaila's Claim, used a Larger Than Life and 2 Blossoming Defense, gaining +8/+8, so it was a 9/9, spent 3 energy to make it a 18/18. 3 more for a 36/36, then the last 3 for a 72/72... so yeah. then you just need trample so they don't block with a 1/1, but there are multiple spells in here that do that, so just make a small CMC deck, but keep the quantity of mana so you can cast multiple buff spells per turn.
1 week ago
I also took away a copy of Hunter's Insight because it just didn't seem to work as well as I hoped.
Again, thank you for the suggestions and I hope you try out your own spin on the deck!
2 weeks ago
@BeauZoe: it worked out really well, the plus in creatures really makes the deck so much better because you always have a big board presence with at least one or two creatures. You can be much more consistent in threating your enemy even though you lose the fling. My problem with fling is that it can be negated but you have to sac anyway for the costs, it may be a sideboard option, but defintly not mainboard for me
as with the Manticore: it's exactly that, too expensive. point made.
and You defintly need the TRmaple eitehr from Larger Than Life, or my preferred Invigorated Rampage or from Rhonas, and Rhonas is the big thing, since he's indestructible and has deathtouch really help a lot and with Bristling Hydra you get him activated a lot.
2 weeks ago
So in terms of the cards of the deck your already good to go, however I have played this deck and have some advice. clayperce above me has some good advice already and i'm not going to go over his points.
First: I would try and add in a single Arlinn Kord Flip into the mainboard, she is a cheap planeswalker, so keeps the budget down but has very good abilities and is always useful when she comes early or late game.
You may also want to consider Fling it can be used at instant speed and if your opponent doesn't have a counterspell you can do it in response to something being killed. I would add this as a 1 of in the mainboard also.
I would drop x2 Larger Than Life to accomodate these changes.
As for your sideboard here are some cards I would suggest, you will need to find what works for your meta and budget. (I would suggest a few hasty creatures, some artifact/enchantment removal, a few more removal spells and some grindy cards like planeswalkers)
Blossoming Defense, Heroic Intervention, Fling, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Aethersphere Harvester, Natural State, Manglehorn, Magma Spray, Shock, Lathnu Hellion, Glorybringer, Appetite for the Unnatural.
2 weeks ago
Have you considered Heart-Piercer Manticore as a fling replacement? I tried including it, and felt like its high CMC negatively impacted my games.
I also tried swapping out Larger Than Life for Highspire Infusion mainly for an instant speed monster buff, but disappointed myself again when I lost the Trample for Electrostatic Pummeler. Perhaps if Khenra Charioteer returned?... though I admit that Rhonas the Indomitable might be a sufficient fix.