|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elemental
At the beginning of each upkeep, you gain 3 life.
Celestial Force Discussion
3 weeks ago
How competitive do you want this to be? Because if this is super casual and playing with friends, this is fine. If you want this to be competitive in some format, there's a lot of changes you probably want to change. I'm guessing you're going for somethin in between, where you can win a few games at your local store, but you're not going to a grand prix anytime soon. If you want an example of a competitice deck that's looking to do something similar to what you are, legacy sneak and show is probably the closest thing https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/level-one-legacy-sneak-and-show/. You obviously don't have to go that route, but that's an example of a competitive deck. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend cutting down on the different types of creatures and then max out on the best ones. For instance, Celestial Force is a really weak card, and is objectively worse than something like Progenitus when cheated in. Generally you want to pick your best 2 or so creatures and run 4 copies (but if this is casual you don't have to worry about buying extra copies of the best creatures, just play what you have). And yes, apex allisaur is illegal, but anybody who sees it in the brew is going to assume it's a deck that is just waiting on apex,so it's fine.
6 months ago
How did Celestial Force work for you btw? It seems a bit high in mana cost
1 year ago
@Force_of_Willb: Twilight Prophet has life drain, card draw, is a vampire... and cost $10 :( Celestial Force is ridiculously expensive but may replace True Conviction, but I feel as if True Conviction offers more value for the cost. Fumigate is good as it combines both gains life and wipes. Thanks
@alexoak: Serra Ascendant is super good, but this is more of a casual deck and the card is very expensive. I originally had Vampire Cutthroat but replaced him with other one drops, and God-Pharaoh's Faithful seems underwhelming, but the rest of the cards good, Authority of the Consuls in particular. Thanks for the recomendations
1 year ago
Fumigate - should be your wrath over day of judgement
Celestial Force - expensive cmc but gains life EACH upkeep - good for multiplayer
Twilight Prophet - card draw + lifedrain not to hard to ascend in EDH
on Oloro Stuff
1 year ago
- Chalice of Life Flip: Isn't the worst card in Oloro, but isn't all that reliable either.
- Darksteel Plate: I've seen you play this card a bunch of times, and most of the time it just sits there, all menacingly. Problem is - your deck doesn't plan to use creatures often, so the plate also won't be used either.
- Dreamstone Hedron: Ramp is great, but expensive ones that produce colorless mana can be iffy since they're often easy targets right after you play them. Gilded Lotus can at least let you cast counterspells after you tap all your lands to play it.
- Orzhov Keyrune: This one is just personal preference from me. I don't like 3 mana artifact ramp most of the time. (Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot are much better) It's up to you if you wanna take it out or not.
- Sun Droplet: This card is very slow and you could easily replace it with something better.
- Subversion: It may seem like a decent drain effect, but it's not that great since it's 5 mana and makes you wait til your next upkeep before it does anything.
- Thought Reflection: Decent card, but 7 mana is pretty costly. Up to you if you wanna keep it.
- Celestial Force: It's nice to instantly gain life each upkeep, but 8 mana for basically just a vanilla creature otherwise isn't really good.
- Pontiff of Blight: Extort is nice for your deck, but your deck doesn't have many creatures to take advantage of the pontiff. Up to you if you wanna keep this guy if you wanna add more creatures.
- Skirge Familiar: I think this card would be a lot better if your deck was more combo focused.
- Azorius Chancery: These types of lands will flat out screw you over if they get destroyed or Blood Mooned.
Cards you definitely should add (won't cost you a whole lot):
- Crested Sunmare: Easily synergizes with Oloro and provides very solid creatures for defensive/offensive plays.
- Aetherflux Reservoir: The win condition you've been looking for. It's a pretty funny card honestly, but works very well with Oloro once you get him going.
- Alhammarret's Archive: Simply synergizes well with Oloro.
- Felidar Sovereign: Not sure how the others would feel about alternative win conditions, but if everyone' okay with it, this guy can most likely win you some games.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council: An awesome card. Can help control the board or becomes a big body to swing with.
- Delay, Counterspell, Swan Song, Negate: Good, cheap counterspells you should at least be running.
- Sphinx's Revelation: Put that ramping to good use.
- Anguished Unmaking, Cyclonic Rift: Must-have control instants.
- Supreme Verdict, Merciless Eviction, Fumigate: Excellent board wipes to go with Oloro.
- Clever Impersonator: This guy's incredibly flexible and can be useful in just about any situation.
- Mana Confluence: Almost exactly another copy of City of Brass.
- Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Temple of Deceit: These will make your mana base a tad bit more consistent while helping you a bit with your next draw as well.
- Diabolic Tutor/Dark Petition/more tutors: Your deck would be more consistent if it had more tutors.
- Brainstorm: Generally a good blue card to manipulate your deck/hand a bit at an instant.
Suggestions (Some are costly, but very worth it for Oloro):
- Grave Titan: Just a powerhouse in general. Just like Crested Sunmare, Grave Titan will give you excellent battlefield presence.
- Whip of Erebos: If you do add more creatures like Grave Titan, this card can be very good for your life gain strategy.
- Sun Titan: One of my favorites. Can grab back some useful stuff, even land.
- Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Auriok Champion: The soul sisters. You shouldn't include all of them at once though. Just keep them in mind since they're good against creature-heavy decks.
- Consecrated Sphinx: Costly, but worth.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation: Punishes spell-slinging decks, and generally nice if he sticks around.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim: She can be good if you can keep your life total high enough.
- Sanguine Sacrament: Pretty nice for the deck's game plan at instant speed.
- Demonic Tutor: Arguably the best tutor you can find, but the price tag will probably turn you away. But... Greatness, at any cost.. Right?
- Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor: Excellent tutors, but expensive (although Mystical Tutor is only around $5; not a whole lot compared to Vampiric Tutor).- Austere Command: Another one of my favorites. Very flexible, and doesn't cost a whole lot either.
- Torment of Hailfire: This card will probably make everyone hate you, but it's a fantastic card nonetheless.
- Leyline of Anticipation: One of the best blue enchantments in my opinion. Allows you to intimidate everyone just by playing a land on your turn.
- Crawlspace: Good against creature-heavy decks.
- Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Progress, Fellwar Stone: Some decent and cheap mana rocks if you want more ramp.
- Decree of Pain: A good tempo swing in your favor if there are a ton of creatures in play. Kinda costly to play though.
- Hallowed Fountain, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave: Shock lands. Excellent at increasing consistency with mana bases. They're even better with the Fetch lands. All of these lands are very costly though.
- Flooded Plains, Marsh Flats, Polluted Delta: Example Fetch lands you could use.
- Ponder, Preordain: Cheap cantrips for a little more consistency.
- Maze of Ith, Kor Haven: Decent control lands.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers: Generates a ton of mana if you get them together.
- Expedition Map: Can help getting the above lands or any land you need.
- Crypt Ghast: Synergizes very well with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, but is overall decent for your deck.
That's all I can think of for now. I can post more for you if I think of anything else.
2 years ago
I really like the deck idea!If I may suggest a few cards that may help with the life gain itself, you should consider throwing in a Pristine Talisman. It's a basic colorless mana rock that goes towards gaining you life as well when using it. Also, Celestial Mantle is very strong enchantment that can get completely bonkers after even one hit. For a high mana cost, Celestial Force can also quickly vamp up your life total, and it can be especially useful in multiplayer with a few friends.
Utilizing life gain to power other cards is another focus that makes life gain fun as well. Especially if that creature's power and toughness is equal to your life. INTRODUCING SERRA AVATAR!!! Serra Avatar is mental. And if your massive/massive champion gets shut down any way, you can use Ayli's ability at instant speed to instantly double your life total.. In addition, Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant is very strong, usually automatically giving your creatures protection.
Awsome deck idea, I like the Commander and can't wait to see how it turns out!
2 years ago
No data for this card yet.