Creature — Spirit
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, if that player has two or fewer cards in hand, Lavaborn Muse deals 3 damage to him or her.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Lavaborn Muse Discussion
2 months ago
Since you’re using a discard strategy have you considered cards that punish opponents for having a low hand count rather than Megrim effects? Cards such as this list:
- Hellfire Mongrel
- Lavaborn Muse
- Nezumi Shortfang Flip flipped
- The Rack
- Wheel of Torture
- Quest for the Nihil Stone
- Shrieking Affliction
- Storm World
- Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
With these types of cards your opponents will be taking damage even if they haven’t discarded. The problem with megrim type cards is if opponents have nothing to discard the megrim type cards are just dead cards at that point. The cards I suggested on the other hand will be doing damage every turn. I’m not saying use all of them just saying some of them could replace megrim type cards. Myself though, I’ld make room for all of them because I go all in when it comes to certain themes.
2 months ago
e, thanks for the comment! I agree, Kess, Dissident Mage could be a good commander. She could easily be swapped in. I'm sure i'll switch it up occasionally but I like Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip for now at least.
Pain Magnification says 3 damage from any source. So anything that deals 3 damage to an opponent, including anything from another opponent. So Lavaborn Muse's ability would activate this. Any attack from one opponent to another that does 3 or more damage, etc. I haven't tested it enough to say that it is staying in the deck forever. If I end up not liking it I may swap it for Wheel of Torture or Shrieking Affliction. If I ever end up getting Bloodchief Ascension that would also be a good replacement for it as well.
6 months ago
Mj3913, Dromar is the only primordial dragon who has not yet been reprinted, so he is long overdue for a reprint, in my mind.
10 months ago
- Playing a deck like this will inevitably lead to your opponent without much of a hand.
- This will leave the spells that damage your opponent for discarding mostly useless.
- At the same time, this means anything they happen to come across, they will play almost immediately, meaning your discard strategy won't be nearly as effective.
- The Rack type effects are best for this kind of deck.
- Examples of viable rack type cards are Paupers' Cage , Skullcage , and Bulwark .
- You are already using these in the forms of Lavaborn Muse and Hellfire Mongrel
- Black Vise type effects could be useful if you plan to force feed your opponent, but since you're making them discard, I don't see much point in that.
- If your goal is to discard, running mill cards isn't going to help your strategy. You're reducing the deck's consistency by including them.
- You're going to want to run Painful Quandary simply due to its taxing nature.
- Lastly, you have a lot of mana rocks, but no artifacts that serve any utility, and more questionably, no Chromatic Lantern . While you have some X and higher cost spells, all that mana could be a dead draw, especially considering you're running 37 lands already.
Add in something like Strionic Resonator , or anything else that can make use of your permanent's abilities.
Keep in mind you're using a strategy that is considered low-power unless it is executed in a specific way. I don't see you having very much fun with this deck as it currently is, but who knows, maybe you are.
11 months ago
Lavaborn Muse and similar seem bad for the same reason. Poor synergy with your signature spell. Consider lowering the curve, adding more 1-drops to kill off opposing planeswalkers early
1 year ago
Damage to opponents from discard effects is good but what bout when they have no cards left to discard? Got a few ideas for ya to check out that will damage them for having an empty hand:
1 year ago
Have a few card ideas for ya to mull over:
1 year ago
Painful Quandary is huge for this kind of deck, as well as Oppression. Cyclonic Rift and other spells like it help bounce unwanted permanents to hands, and give fuel to the fire. Also consider cards like Lavaborn Muse and Hellfire Mongrel to make opponents suffer even when their hand is low. Torment of Hailfire is a great finisher/removal for a discard based deck. I feel this deck is similar to my commander deck based on Crosis, the Purger, so if you would like more recommendations, just let me know. :)