Creature — Human Wizard
You have no maximum hand size.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Graceful Adept Discussion
5 months ago
I would remove Cancel for Dovin's Veto, Crux of Fate for Torment of Hailfire, Diabolic Tutor for Beseech the Queen, Diabolic Edict for Go for the Throat, Personal Tutor for Lim-Dul's Vault, Laboratory Maniac for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Graceful Adept for Archon of Emeria, Blood Seeker for Judge's Familiar, Strionic Resonator for Isochron Scepter, Baleful Strix for Windfall, Nadier's Nightblade for Dramatic Reversal, and Revel in Riches for Basalt Monolith
1 year ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
1 year ago
2 years ago
One card I really don't like in this deck is Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive . It seems like you want to pump your merfolk up a bit, but if you do that, Tetsuko's unblockable anthem isn't going to work anymore. Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma 's first ability isn't great in this deck since you've only got 5 creatures that she can actually reduce the casting cost of. I'm betting that when you get her out you probably only see 1 of those creatures appear during a game, unless you get really lucky. That said, I do like her second ability in the deck if you're able to pump your small creatures high enough. In your experience, how has that worked out? Are you able to pump multiple creatures up to power 4 or greater in a reasonable amount of time?
What I do like is your decision to include a lot of card draw and small creatures. I think lots of small creatures is definitely the way to go. I'd suggest also adding in some more tokens. I'm a huge fan of Deeproot Waters for this deck. It's got synergy with all the little merfolk you're running, and creates so many more of them. On top of that, it's an enchantment, and your friend is playing blue and black, which lacks in enchantment removal. Seems like a natural fit for your deck. If you want to keep Goreclaw around, but also want small creatures, consider Benthicore .
I'd also recommend adding in some more "no maximum handsize" spells. You've got options, and some are better than others. Library of Leng would be awesome here against that mill deck, and it's super fast to get onto the board. Also it doesn't cost an arm and a leg in terms of real world dollars. Reliquary Tower is a classic that I include in nearly all of my decks, and I've always liked Thought Vessel for its added colorless mana ramp, but if that's too expensive to purchase, Venser's Journal and Spellbook also do the job, but without quite as nice of a bonus effect (or any bonus effect at all, for Spellbook). I'll mention one more that is in your colors, but is a creature (and therefore can easily be removed), Graceful Adept . The thing here is your commander comes out pretty late, so getting the "no maximum handsize" effect early (so, low converted mana cost) will make it so that you can keep all of the cards you draw before she gets into the battlefield, making her that much stronger when she gets out. Also, if she gets removed, you're not going to want to have to discard 20 cards.
I like your idea with Oran-Rief, the Vastwood , putting counters on creatures as they enter the battlefield. I do that in one of my decks. I'd also suggest Novijen, Heart of Progress , to double down on that strategy. Llanowar Reborn can also give a single creature a +1/+1 counter. That may or may not be worth the "Enters tapped" part of it for you. It was for me, but that's because I have counter doublers and things like that in my deck.
I don't really like Etherium Sculptor in your deck with the lack of artifacts. There are only 5 in your entire deck. That's also really hurting Padeem, Consul of Innovation 's value. You either need to add in more artifacts (with moderate to high converted mana cost) or get rid of those cards.
I hope this helped, and I hope it didn't come off as rude or anything. I'm just trying to find some synergies and improvements for your deck! Good luck to you!
2 years ago
Riku looks like such a fun commander. I might look at Kruphix, God of Horizons or Thought Vessel over Graceful Adept , despite that they can't be sac'd to Prime Speaker Vannifar , just to throw my opinion out there. Also, Mirrorpool lends some additional potential for great big plays; I use it in my Melek deck. It can be just win-more, in which case you might prefer a dual land, depending on how well your color fixing tends to play out, but it can also be exactly the extra value you want from a land card.
2 years ago
Spellbook does only one thing that has no extra effect with multiples in play. The Journal, Reliq Tower and Library should be enough on that front. Graceful Adept as a creature is too fragile for just this effect.
Alabaster Leech is just a free blocker to a non-white deck. Seems narrow enough that it could be cut. Sapphire Leech is sort of in the same boat but blue typically gets played more than white so if you keep one, keep the blue one. I'd personally cut both.
Drogskol Reaver seems a bit out of place here. Your commander should be drawing you more than enough cards plus gaining enough life and you won't often be winning through combat damage.
Spawnbroker seems the worst of this kind of effect so trim and just keep the better versions. Daring Thief could use some support to use reliably; Holdout Settlement , Cultivator's Caravan / Smuggler's Copter [or any other vehicle that it could crew].
My understanding is that a lot of people hate playing against Thieves' Auction as it really drags out a game and can be frustrating if it keeps getting played game after game so maybe cut to preserve your playgroup. Scrambleverse could fall into this category as well. I'd leave Possibility Storm though if you really want this kind of 'chaos' effect in the deck.
Its not 19 cuts but some suggestions that could help you make some decisions on what you really want to have stay.
2 years ago
2 years ago
I think the deck could use 1 or 2 removal spells for some threats, and it would help a lot to have Reliquary Tower, Graceful Adept, or Library of Leng, they're not too pricey and I think they could help a fair bit with not having too many cards in hand, kind of like what Spellbook is doing.