Magus of the Will
Creature — Human Wizard
, , Exile Magus of the Will: Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard. If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||Lucretian , Vasbear1 , kaboomeow , Shiromakuro , , Riku580 , AllDayTayTay , Candyman949 , ShishkyBob , Dimarx , 2austin5 , Swamy , Sparky41 , Azdranax , Pylioz|
|Want (12)||Nerubian , miniramlok , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , kvfd1719 , Pocketmouse , Druidyczny , Piekan , BringerOfStorms , cdgalucard , ryuzaki32667 , Flaktastick , Hayliiel|
Magus of the Will Discussion
2 weeks ago
ShaperSavant I'm practicing for a tournament to win the Commander Anthology box. I have all but 5 cards listed below with cards I plan to substitute. Would you give me your opinion on the substitutes or better choices??
Noble Hierarch >> Drover of the Mighty
1 month ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 months ago
I have an Inalla deck and have some problems choosing between some cards. What cards do you think is the best in my/a Inalla deck?
And is there any of these wizards that you think I should absolutely run, and remove something else? I'm not sure if they are more value than the wizards I already run.
3 months ago
Today's previews are another batch of excellent cards.
Barely one day after I wished for it, I have received the reprint of Eladamri's Call that I desired; I currently do not need it for any of my decks, but it will be very nice to have at a lower price if I ever do need it. This makes it very unlikely that Worldly Tutor shall be reprinted in this set, but that card is usually better than it, anyway.
By far the best card revealed today is Rishadan Port, which many players have been desiring to be reprinted for many years, now. I am very glad to see that this set will have at least one really good land (albeit a colorless one), so I now am strongly hoping for at least one good dual land (I imagine that the entire cycle of filter lands would be too much for which to ask).
5 months ago
I would, they don't do anything without a creature and even off they both came out and attached to a dude it's really a minimal impact on the overall game. I'd add in Recoup and Past in Flames maybe even Yawgmoth's Will or Magus of the Will to take advantage of your graveyard a little more and Winds of Change is a great wheel to add in. Rise of the Dark Realms works especially good with wheels and Malfegor since you are constantly clearing the board.
5 months ago
Magus of the Will since you'll be tossing everything in the yard. Rakdos Signet, Talisman of Indulgence, and Commander's Sphere since Malfy is so demanding on colored mana. Blood Scrivener to help fill your hand fast after you discard to Malfy.
5 months ago
Now, onward to DiabeticFire's questions about their deck and card choices -
The incorporation of filterlands are an excellent start, incredible lands for the price. However, I think you're missing out on the Shocklands, Dual colored cycling lands and Battle Lands. They're all far more affordable than original duals and on top of that they are all typed. That means you can get the most out of your Skyshroud Claim or Nature's Lore.
As for your individual card suggestions, i'll address them all one by one:
Mana Drain => Arcane Denial: I'd consider Forbid over Arcane Denial, the one thing i'm always weary of is giving my opponent cards. Sure, they'll be less salty towards you when you counter one of their wincons, but giving them options isn't always a good thing.
Vampiric Tutor => Demonic Tutor: Aw come on. $10 more and you'd have the vampiric. Honestly, in this case...why not both? But I can understand that it's painful to pay so much for just two cards. Another less costly option would be Wargate, Infernal Tutor or Worldly Tutor.
Engineered Explosives => Blasphemous Act: so the idea here is to have some surgical mass removal. Originally, Harsh Mercy took this slot but it was not very effective. Now given the surging popularity of tribal decks, that card is even less useful. I'd suggest In Garruk's Wake. Also you have the bonus of picking up a sweet promo art version of it.
Mana Crypt => Fellwar Stone: Fellwar was originally in this deck as well. Honestly, I'd suggest you try and acquire a mana crypt anyway due to it's relatively recent printing in eternal masters. I know it's expensive, but the recent re-printing brought the price down to the cheapest i've ever seen. I honestly think that Prismatic Geoscope should take the slot here though.
Scroll Rack => Prismatic Geoscope: So the point to Scroll rack is to have top deck manipulation. Something to get you to the right card at the right time. Geoscope isn't going to do that. Some suggestions would be Crystal Ball, Darksteel Pendant or even Future Sight. That last one was a bit out there, maybe go with the ball.
Sensei's Divining Top => Distant Melody: So, Sensei's is strictly top deck manipulation while Distant melody is all about card draw. Melody is the strictly worse option here due to it being dependent on creatures being in play. A well timed mass removal event can make Melody utterly worthless to you. I'd go for something like Kindred Discovery if you want to go in on draw.
Hope my suggestions were useful to you. If you think any of my thoughts were bad or good, let me know! I always enjoy talking about about Slivers and magic. But mostly Slivers :P
6 months ago
So I have spent a while doing some research, and I have found a few things that I want to pick your brains about.
Third is Cover of Darkness. It makes the entire brood extremely difficult to block, which could come in handy if Sliver Queen or some other combo piece gets exiled and you need to win through commander damage or combat damage.
Urza's Incubator Gives a cost reduction of for only to cast. Seems great to me.
Also, I built my own version of this deck. I do not have the original duals, so I replaced them with the Shadowmoor/Eventide filter lands. In addition, I made the following substitutes for budget reasons. (I tried to get each substitution to fill a similar role but I just dont have the library manipulation cards, so I went with ramp and card draw)
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks!