Magus of the Will
Creature — Human Wizard
, , Exile Magus of the Will: Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard. If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||Lucretian , Vasbear1 , kaboomeow , Shiromakuro , , Riku580 , AllDayTayTay , Candyman949 , 2austin5 , Sparky41 , Dimarx , teslacoil7992 , , ShishkyBob , Sav547 , Swamy , Kleptozaniac , Pylioz|
|Want (17)||Nerubian , sirvezathebrave , miniramlok , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , kvfd1719 , Pocketmouse , Druidyczny , Piekan , IrishCross88 , BringerOfStorms , cdgalucard , ryuzaki32667 , Flaktastick , Hayliiel , SimonM9d , LagAngel , StormCraftable|
Magus of the Will Discussion
7 hours ago
NOTE: these are just my thoughts, backed up by points regarding both the Magus, & the Original. Be warned.
cEDH is, IMO, a subformat willing to drain you of all of your wallet; with one card. So I'm going to show why sometimes, even a Magus SHOULD be the better buy.
Before we start this fish fry, keep in mind, I know some staples aren't even expensive; but some are just out of even the lady who bought the Stairway to Heaven's wallet (Yes, that's a Led Zeppelin reference. :d).
Before we begin, I just want to show the comparison to the Magus version to the original version of said cards. So? What the heck are we waiting for?
Yep. Fraggin 18 Magus' worth playing in cEDH. Now for their original base cards...
Balance (BANNED AS ANYTHING.)
Mind's Desire (Anyone got something closer?)
Yep, I'm doing JP for the points. Anyways...
- Most of the latter cards are too expensive for some.
While I won't count Blood Moon, Nevinyrral's Disk, & even Future Sight (Thank Bolas that's Consistently being Reprinted.), We have stuff that can reach as far as 4 figures at worst. Ironically, stuffle like Eladamri's Vineyard is surprisingly cheap as well as its respective Magus. Sadly, that's where the point comes in. Most of the original cards in our economy are either:
A: In the 3 Figures >
B: Banned (See Balance; which, ironically, is cheaper than its Magus counterpart.)
C: Something your average decklist is worth in cash (Unless it requires 2 or 3 of them.)
Don't get me wrong, It's not that the card is "bad", it's just I can't just pay for something that I can make the rest of my deck with instead.
- They have the same Manacost/Effect
You may, & must have paid attention to the similarities of the Bases & the Magus'; those without a Land Base have an identical CMC, & even the same manacost regardless of either the Base/Magus. Don't believe me? Look above. The only Magus' to have additional effects are Magus of the Balance, Magus of the Wheel, Magus of the Mind, & Magus of the Will even. Outside of this, Effects are entirely identical to the original. While manacosts are relatively high for Manacosts for Magus' with a Land version Base, nothing wrong with rocks/dorks, I guess...
- They're god-unforsaken creatures!
In the current Meta of all Magic, Creatures are still hard to oneshot, where Arifacts, Enchantments, & even Planeswalkers most recently, are fried. Creatures still persist (No pun intended.) as some of the most resilient card types to this day. Where all 6 (Yep, counting Colorless as well on this.) colors have their own way to kill all kinds of nonland Permanents, there are many ways Creatures can return. While cEDH doesn't always use creatures, this is a unique case, & should be used over their original counterparts unless you want to go Storm & Mind's Desire is your thing...
With that said, there are some things I actually would like to see WotC reprint as Magus'. I mean; Timetwister is expensive as garbage. But if the Magic Group can make a Magus for that, with a cost I guess, I'd be sold; that; & I wouldn't have to worry about exiling other Timetwister Variants. Nether Void is in the 4 figures, so why can't the R&D group do something about it with a Magus? Stuff from Legends, & even earlier have Magus variants already, why not have some more?
Hello, I'm BMHKain. I apologize if I caused any offense, I'm a cheapskate since I started during Scars of Mirrodin. BTW, how can you guys even afford all this, & more? Just wondering...
Thanks for reading... ^_^ I hope I posted this whole post in the right place... Xx
3 weeks ago
Don't know if this has been recommended but Magus of the Will.
3 weeks ago
Each of the colors have three magi from the cycles, one based on an enchantment for each color Magus of the Moat, Magus of the Future, Magus of the Abyss, Magus of the Moon and Magus of the Vineyard) one based on an artifact for each color (Magus of the Disk, Magus of the Jar, Magus of the Mirror, Magus of the Scroll and Magus of the Candelabra), one based on a land for each color (Magus of the Tabernacle, Magus of the Bazaar, Magus of the Coffers, Magus of the Arena and Magus of the Library) and one based on an sorcery for (the new Magus of Balance, Magus of the Mind, Magus of the Will and Magus of the Wheel). There is a fifth blue card called Magus of the Unseen, but that's not part of any cycle since it doesn't reference any single famous card. Probably next set they'll have a green Magus based on a sorcery.
Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sower of Discord on here.
1 month ago
I don't know to be honest when it comes down to grabbing stuff back in the graveyard I've been using Magus of the Will in my variant but it depends on the opponent and how friendly they are to help you out
2 months ago
ShaperSavant I'm practicing for a tournament to win the Commander Anthology box. I have all but 5 cards listed below with cards I plan to substitute. Would you give me your opinion on the substitutes or better choices??
Noble Hierarch >> Drover of the Mighty
3 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
4 months ago
I have an Inalla deck and have some problems choosing between some cards. What cards do you think is the best in my/a Inalla deck?
And is there any of these wizards that you think I should absolutely run, and remove something else? I'm not sure if they are more value than the wizards I already run.
5 months ago
Today's previews are another batch of excellent cards.
Barely one day after I wished for it, I have received the reprint of Eladamri's Call that I desired; I currently do not need it for any of my decks, but it will be very nice to have at a lower price if I ever do need it. This makes it very unlikely that Worldly Tutor shall be reprinted in this set, but that card is usually better than it, anyway.
By far the best card revealed today is Rishadan Port, which many players have been desiring to be reprinted for many years, now. I am very glad to see that this set will have at least one really good land (albeit a colorless one), so I now am strongly hoping for at least one good dual land (I imagine that the entire cycle of filter lands would be too much for which to ask).