mtg, mtg cards, magic the gathering, gaming, geeks
Target opponent sacrifices a creature. You gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
Id say Tribute to Hunger is better but maybe thats just my personal preferance.And instead of Read the Bones maybe use Consult the Necrosages since it can be used offensivly aswell and doesnt take any life from you. Serum Visions is another good draw card that also lets you scry.
Thanks for your response!The Ghastlord seems rather nice, I didn't actually know that card ;) I did prioritize not to use Tribute to Hunger though, because of the higher mana-cost. Something I have considered, which mankes up for this, is removing the Devour Flesh and putting in an extra Geth's Verdict since I almost always use the first mentioned on an opponent's creature. However, it is a rather nice trick to sacrifice your own Nighthowler (or the creature it's bestowed on) to gain huge amounts of life, so I'm not sure this would be a good change.
I was actually suggesting more like 24-25 lands.
I've ran Percy & Obliterator in the same modern deck for quite some time now. I can tell u that Percy is a quicker clock & will likely win u more games.
Though that being said, there is a reason I run Percy myself. IMO he's the best black beat stick there is. Dark Confidant is probably the best black creature though..
Smallpox trumps Geth's Verdict all day but I am a fan of both cards. Smallpox hits the opponent in a multitude of ways that can often be hard to recover from. Especially if your side is 1 sided because u have a Bloodghast or Gravecrawler or Vengevine u can dump in the graveyard and get back. Fan of Tribute to Hunger as well.
I made a very similar deck to yours that included Obliterator when I first got into magic, but he wasn't the star Sheoldred, Whispering One was xD
Avatar of Woe is mostly just good in milling decks.And instead of devour flesh why not Tribute to Hunger ?Also if you want a really good card that also gives you alot of devotion then consider the Spirit Avatars like Ghastlord of Fugue Divinity of Pride
Is this supposed to be Modern or Casual deck?
For now here are my modern recommendations:
1. Drop the mutavaults in favor of Nephalia Drownyard . It can end games extremely well especially if dragged into lategame.
2. Up the count of Path to Exile to 4 in place of so many Go for the Throat .
3. Condescend and Dissolve are okay-ish, but if you want better counters go for Mana Leak (it's way better than Condescend, especially early game) and perhaps Cryptic Command (if you can afford it), or Remand (cheaper), or Rewind (even cheaper).
4. Drop one Thoughtseize for another wrath effect... choose between Hallowed Burial (which is nice because it can get rid of indestructibles and pretty much anything with no graveyard shenanigans in place, but makes milling more difficult with Nephalia Drownyard ), or Wrath of God (which deals with regeneration).
5. Drop Silence , it's quite bad especially without an Isochron Scepter . Instead make room for either Esper Charm (very versatile card) or Spreading Seas (messes with opponent mana).
6. I'm not a big fan of Sorin Markov in mainboard. Play a bit with Blood Baron of Vizkopa and see how good he is in modern. Maybe he works... Or Sphinx of the Steel Wind is another interesting option. Very powerful once he hits the board, especially against red and green protection.
7. You need at least some basic lands, or else Blood Moon is going to smash you. Sideboard some enchantment and artifact hatred spells, as well as some sacrifice (Devour Flesh is okayish here because it's cheaper than Tribute to Hunger but both work).
8. Sideboard Leyline of Sanctity to deal with burn and discard strategies.
9. Propaganda or Ghostly Prison are surprisingly good, even though they cost 3 mana. I would only sideboard them though because they don't work against ramp heavy or creature-soft decks.
10. Sideboard some graveyard hatred (either Extirpate or Tormod's Crypt or Rest in Peace will work).
11. Trickbind is great against activated or triggered abilities which you cannot otherwise counter.And the split second will ensure it can't get countered.
If you want to play around devotion I suggest you put in to more Gray Merchant of Asphodel Look into getting Nightveil Specter most people put them in black devotion because they pump ramp and they can give extra lands if need be. You should try to put in som draw so you don't have to play off your draw. One great card for this is Phyrexian Arena , if thats to expensive maybe try Underworld Connections . If you have more Vampire Nighthawk run them, they are great protection, pump devotion and can gain you life if you are running low. Lastly get rid of Tribute to Hunger and run get some Gatekeeper of Malakir , if you use the kicker they have the same mana cost, kill a creature and are great for devotion.
I am building a Thrax deck too! :D I would add these for the sac fuel for Thraximundar ... Tribute to Hunger and Barter in Blood and thes fun card... Animate Dead ... some graveyard hate Relic of Progenitus protection from armies of dudes Crawlspace and board wipes Bearer of the Heavens , Nevinyrral's Disk , Void , Devastation Tide , Cyclonic Rift , Whelming Wave , Chain Reaction those are just some budget ones if u decide to do stuff like Damnation Good work so far tho :D Hope I could help