|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Vedalken Wizard
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Mizzium Meddler enters the battlefield, you may change a target of target spell or ability to Mizzium Meddler.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (38)||VGJustice , ironax , Kravian , Wazerwifle , RPG_FOX , ninjasupahsquid , Pelli , Mousemke , LegendDeer , saj0219 , pskinn01 , mazrimtaim , jstn.mrrtt , chrishuffman95 , MattN7498 , meowCat1234 , mziter501 , Mortiferus_Rosa , golgarigirl , spike1395 , failurechild88 , Lindough , carsickpanda273 , Ellyreia , KipIsKosher , Regulus1010 , aeonstoremyliver , NobleSlay3r , voidruby , RazortoothMtg , the.beanpole , CampbellStev , JasYper , DudeMan1031 , philktoken8998 , rakdos24 , Unlife , ThisIsBullshit|
Mizzium Meddler Discussion
3 months ago
You're basically playing U/R Delver. Cut your creatures down to:
Then, switch a few of your spells around:
You also won't need so many lands. The ones you have are also kind of a problem because a lot of them always come into play tapped. Modern tends to have fewer turns than other formats, so you having lands that can never enter play untapped will lose you a lot of games. Any lands that do enter the battlefield tapped need to do something really good to warrant this. Therefore, I'd change:
-4x Swiftwater Cliffs
-4x Izzet Boilerworks
-0-1x Halimar Depths
+4x Wandering Fumarole OR Sulfur Falls OR Steam Vents OR Shivan Reef OR Spirebluff Canal
+1x Desolate Lighthouse
+1-2x Island (depending on if you cut Halimar Depths)
You have more blue cards than red in your deck, so you'll want to play more blue lands than red ones if you can't get a hold on any dual lands.
You may find Turn / Burn to be a bit heavy on the mana requirement. Consider replacing these with low-cost counter cards, such as Dispel, Negate, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, Squelch, Chart a Course, or Remand. If you do cut Turn / Burn for one of these other cards, remember to cut another Mountain or two and replace them with Islands. Otherwise, you'll have too many games where you can't cast anything despite having 90,2183,989 bajillionzillion lands in play.
Lastly, you'll need a sideboard. These are the cards that are useful for your deck, but only against specific kinds of threats. You're allowed to swap cards in and out of your deck between games after the first in a match (tournaments are best 2-out-of-3).
An example sideboard would look like:
2x Mizzium Meddler (for Boggles)
1x Counterflux (stops control and midrange)
1x AEtherize (you'll want these against aggro decks and tokens)
These four just get moved to your sideboard from your main since you only want them in specific situations2x Abrade (vs. Affinity)
3x Ceremonious Rejection (vs. Tron, Affinity, and Eldrazi)
1x Dispel (vs. Burn and control decks)
1x Magma Spray (stops Kitchen Finks and Dredge)
3x Tormod's Crypt/Relic of Progenitus/Grafdigger's Cage (you bring these in against any graveyard bullshit shenanigans)
2x Spell Pierce
(These last three are for beating Control, Combo, and Midrange decks, along with Burn)
From here, you should have a decent deck to take to your local shop to play with, but there's still some things you'll need:
- Serum Visions is beast mode in Delver because it's one of the most consistent ways to flip Delver of Secrets Flip in Modern. They're a 4-of, but fluctuate between $2 and $8, depending on the market. They're pretty cheap right now due to being reprinted in Eternal Masters, but they've definitely been higher. You should be playing these over Peek and if they're within your budget right now, go get them.
- Snapcaster Mage is a card that cranks up the power level of your deck. End of your opponent's turn Lightning Bolt -> Snapcaster Mage -> Lightning Bolt -> untap -> attack has ended a lot of games in Modern.
- Scalding Tarn + Steam Vents will fix almost all of your mana problems. You can play off-color fetchlands as long as they're blue and you have Steam Vents (such as Flooded Strand). Not only can you save on your life total by fetching up basic lands, this also opens up the option for a 3rd. color or maindeck Blood Moons. Fetch lands also act as fuel for Grim Lavamancers and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip.
- Speaking of which, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip functions as the 5th. through 8th. copies of Snapcaster Mage. He can also be somewhat of a "budget" option, although he works best when you're playing both cards.
- Sword of Fire and Ice and the other swords in the cycle can go a long way. An Insectile Aberration is nothing to fuck around with. An Insectile Aberration with +2/+2 and protection from 2 different colors will end the game.
- You'll also want Remands (likely 2 or more) at some point, but it's not high on the priority of cards to get. They act like Time Walks when your opponent taps out to play something and misses a land drop. This buys you time to lay down the beats with your small critters.
- Ancestral Vision is also a solid pick. You're looking to stall the game out long enough to kill your opponent with 3/2s and 1/1s, why not refill your hand halfway through the game?
Hope this helps! I'm sure I'm missing something that experienced Delver players can recommend.
7 months ago
9 months ago
Mystical Tutor might help you a lot when it comes to game winning spells. Especially if you need to find a good counter spell soon.
Thing in the Ice Flip (or TitI) is always a fun add for mono blue counter decks (especially since it's 2 cost for a cheapo beater). Also some common spot removal like Boomerang or Unsummon might be great.
9 months ago
Tidal Force, Thought Reflection, Merfolk Looter, Juxtapose, Illusionist's Gambit, Dismiss into Dream, Master of Predicaments, Temporal Cascade, Breaking Wave, Tromokratis, Temporal Distortion, Brainstorm, Relearn, Redirect, Aura Graft, AEtherplasm, Thieving Magpie, Sisay's Ingenuity, Windfall, AEtherspouts, Mizzium Meddler, Daring Thief, Spin into Myth, Mystic Remora, Telepathy, Sunken Hope.
10 months ago
Protean Hulk is banned in EDH I think.
Some of the cards I really have fun with in my Animar deck are Nullstone Gargoyle, creatures with Flash (like Mizzium Meddler) and Scuttlemutt (cheap to play, mana if you need it and you can play with Animar's Protection ability)
11 months ago
Scuttlemutt can come out for free, tap for mana and change some poor schmuck to black or white so Animar's Protection comes into play.
1 year ago
You're right. You can only change targets for a spell or ability if the new target(s) would be legal. This is true even if the current targets are illegal. Mindslaver's ability targets a player, so it can't target Mizzium Meddler. Your opponent can target Mindslaver's ability with Mizzium Meddler's ability, but nothing will happen.
You're also correct about Stifle and the like.