|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
Legendary Creature — Human Pirate
First strike, menace
Whenever Kari Zev, Skyship Raider attacks, create a legendary 2/1 red Monkey creature token named Ragavan that's tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (31)||rikertchu , tragic_slip , ZombieFood , Lindough , Ellyreia , Nemesis , sirbar , Snydog17 , KB2187 , darthnuchi , Candyman949 , Aquacomics , TheRealPeaches , GeminiSpartanX , Lucretian , RPG_FOX , spineywoodchuck , Vasbear1 , gildan_bladeborn , Sparky41 , Spinalripper , duff87 , LeroyJones , saj0219 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , MathieuHarvey0555 , philktoken8998 , rakdos24 , rockleemyhero , firemind12 , golgarigirl|
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider Discussion
5 days ago
Pirates looks to have two possible builds: Treasure-Combo or a more aggressive combat-centric deck. I'd be inclined to focus on one over the other. Right now it's a little split between the two which is giving it that "Jack-of-all, Master-of-None" feel.
Focusing on the Revel in Riches win condition, you can utilize the creation and sacrifice of artifacts as the main mechanic of your deck.
- Marionette Master allows you to deal 4 damage to each opponent with the sacrifice of each Treasure.
- Disciple of the Vault, Underhanded Designs, and Reckless Fireweaver or often ignored because of the meager amounts of damage they deal, which adds up over time or when you burst out a handful of treasures a turn.
- Quicksmith Genius is a favorite of mine, allowing you to "rummage" away late-game lands or dig for Revel whenever you create a treasure.
- Cranial Plating can leverage your treasure count to boost your attack power.
- Pirate's Pillage is a good treasure generator.
- Time Sieve let's you buy a whole new turn with 5 treasures.
- Inspiring Statuary let's you effectively tap your treasure for mana without having to sac them.
- Never underestimate people's willingness to cash in on a Curse of Opulence. It may not make treasures, but the Gold will synergize with all the other pieces of this build.
- Confirm Suspicions similarly creates Clues. Not synergistic with Revel, but great with these other mechanics... and well... they draw cards!
- Hellkite Igniter can pump for hilarious amounts of damage depending on your treasure count.
- Herald of Anguish can fling treasure at smaller utility creatures or several treasure to bring down huge creatures. He also has improvise and discard. He's kind of nuts.
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Tezzeret the Seeker , Tezzeret, Master of Metal, Tezzeret the Schemer and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Daretti, Scrap Savant all synergize with expendable and numerous artifacts.
Focusing more on leveraging Admiral Beckett Brass's abilities we could go with more of an aggressive build. Since the pirate tribe is on the weaker side combat-wise, you're going to want combat buffs and lots of evasion.
- Urabrask the Hidden is great at getting in some quick damage and makes it difficult for your opponents to mount a defense. Doesn't synergize perfectly with Raid since they don't like haste, but it's worthwhile to keep everyone's shields down.
- Siren Stormtamer is an evasive early-game creature that allows you to trigger early game raid, counts for Admiral's ability and can save her from removal.
- Taurean Mauler counts as a pirate and can get HUGE.
- Dire Fleet Ravager is good start on reducing life totals. You're going to have more creatures than your opponents, and they're going to need to deal with his menace body, which means you're less at risk from losing life to his ability.
- Dire Fleet Poisoner might as well give one of your guys unblockable, as people will rarely want to trade down with a Pirate.
- Coastal Piracy is on flavor but Bident of Thassa is an upgrade.
- Kari Zev, Skyship Raider has menace and first strike. She may require some equipment to abuse her first-strike ability. But the menace will allow you to get damage through consistently.
- Vanquisher's Banner gives your team a mild boost coupled with some card draw.
- Similarly Herald's Horn can draw you extra pirates and makes them cheaper.
- It works great with Heirloom Blade, a card that gives you a pirate back when your pirate dies! Also +3/+1 for 1 to equip is pretty dang good for an aggro deck.
- Kindred Discovery is an insane draw-engine especially in a deck that likes to attack.
- Archetype of Imagination is a possible candidate for making your team unblockable.
Good In both Builds
- Deadeye Tracker is great at dealing with cards in graveyards, something that every EDH deck should have to combat those powerful reanimator, dredge, and combo decks out there. Additionally, this guy can grow or draw cards doing so... which is all upside.
- Deadeye Navigator can allow you to trigger Raid or create treasures repeatedly for a mere 1U. He scales in effectiveness with however many Raid and ETB effect guys you end up with. Similarly Conjurer's Closet and Panharmonicon can lean you towards a more ETB-centric build using Raid to pad out your other options.
Determining what to cut would involve going "All-in" on one of the mechanics, and effectively removing the other.
3 weeks ago
Hey, looks good. Interesting version of Izzet.
Consider cutting 2x Hellion replacing them with 2x more Crasher? Both are aggressive creatures, but Crasher's ability to make a creature unable to block I think is better than the Hellion who requires energy to be good and since you're not making energy Hellion seems like a waste.
Champion of Wits is a powerful card, but it looks out of place here. There's an aggressive curve happening with Earthshaker into Crasher into Hazoret/Chandra into Glorybringer. Champion doesn't really fit into this curve. I suggest cutting Wits and replacing it with 2x more Chart a Course and 1x more of Hazoret or Phoenix or Sprinter. Chart can give you more card advantage since you'll be attacking more than not attacking. Chart is a good reason to add blue to an already mostly mono-red curve.
Consider switching the numbers of Abrade and Strike around? Abrade is overall more versatile because it can destroy an artifact which is good when Heart of Kiran, God-Pharaoh's Gift, Walking Ballista and Torrential Gearhulk are popular artifacts right now in Standard.
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
so Fanatical Firebrand is basically a mini munitions himself that doesnt cost anything. if you drop him on turn 1 you could get 2-3 damage out of him, and even if you top deck him, hes a 1 for 1 damage, which isnt great, but he would be that anyway. Id rather drop the Grasping Scoundrel for something like the buccaneer or Rigging Runner, which would be a better top deck.
I honestly think Makeshift Munitions doesn't quite do enough to win you the game, but, if you can double the damage that comes from it it becomes real scary real fast, and Angrath's Marauders is the only card that does what it does. Lightning Strike is a 6 damage nuke, in retrospect now that i read it again, i thought Sword-Point Diplomacy would potentially deal 18 damage through angrath, but damage isnt dealt to the opponent, they pay life, so im down to swapping that out for another Ruin Raider
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider is an auto include if but for 1 reason, when i build decks, i build them cycle proof, meaning i dont use the set that will cycle out next. I like the Hijack idea, and i think if i added Fathom Fleet Captain, would definitely consider Dire Fleet Neckbreaker over Angrath's Marauders, but then what do i replace? dont think there is a spot for both in the main-board, but maybe it can be a side-board option.
Captain Lannery Storm completely negates Makeshift Munitions i believe, as im pretty sure the sacrifice they are talking about is when treasure sacks to itself for manna. so you have to choose between pumping the captain and getting manna or doing damage. I dont like the idea of throwing away my win-con to pump a creature that can get fatal-pushed in the face. If she had trample, sure, but not like this. i think she is overrated tbh.
1 month ago
I like the idea. Angrath, the Flame-Chained seems a lot better with Makeshift Munitions and some early pressure. Also Sword-Point Diplomacy seems a lot better with some early pressure. Because of that I would focus a bit more towards early pressure - something like Captain Lannery Storm.
Angrath's Marauders seem too slow even with treasures, especially since treasures are also a valuable ressource for other parts of your deck. Treasure Map Flip is also too slow imo. Pirate's Pillage I like as a Tormenting Voice that let's you borrow mana from one turn to another - but I don't think that's what this deck wants.
Daring Buccaneer: More early pressure then Fanatical Firebrand.
Fathom Fleet Captain: A mana dump and a way too convert some treasures into creatures with menace. Helps you create pressure to make your late game plan more effective.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider: Gives you free tokens for Makeshift Munitions.
Dire Fleet Neckbreaker: Is almost a Angrath's Marauders ;-)
Looks like a fun deck to play: +1
1 month ago
It seems that you maybe a new player or new to standard but your deck has too many singletons.You want that your deck is as consistent as possible and by first you can choose what you want your deck to do.
Example your deck is BR (rakdos) so it is usually really aggressive so you are seeking cards that cost max 4 mana (With few exceptions).
You should take out Wily Goblin Deadeye Tracker <- (To side) Pitiless Plunderer Lightning-Rig Crew <- (maybe for side) Angrath's Marauders Angrath's Fury Blazing Volley Brass's Bounty Hijack Morbid Curiosity Vraska's Scorn Wrangle Dual Shot Skulduggery Vona's Hunger Treasure Map Flip Vanquisher's Banner Revel in Riches and Blood Sun and Walk the Plank . You should switch Angrath, Minotaur Pirate and Vraska, Scheming Gorgon for Chandra, Torch of Defiance if you are made out of money and if not then Angrath, the Flame-Chained will just done fine
For good 1 drop you should add 4x Fanatical Firebrand because he is useful even when games get long because sometimes that 1 dmg that he can do directly to face mattes some time. 3 more Dire Fleet Captain because they are hard to kill when you got 2-3 pirates attacking with it. 1 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider because she is reliable 2 drop because she is hard to kill and brings buddy when attacking and 2 Captain Lannery Storm because she has haste and ramps little bit for you to make wider board or faster Angrath. 1 more Dire Fleet Neckbreaker should do fine because she doesn't have evasive abilites but buffs pirates so much that they become even more menacing. (Hazoret would be amazing in aggro deck but she isn't pirate so you don't have to include her if you don't want / can't]
For other spells 1 more Lightning Strike 2 Vraska's Contempt 2 Kari Zev's Expertise 1 Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip and 3 Shock (or 1 Magma Spray and 2 Shock ) and if you are able to get then 4 Fatal Push and try to put them in as you like
And add 1 more land and if you can you should get 4 Canyon Slough because they make decks more consistent thanks to that cycling
For side take out Blight Keeper Brass's Bounty Costly Plunder Dire Fleet Captain Dire Fleet Neckbreaker Revel in Riches Skittering Heartstopper Storm Fleet Arsonist Sure Strike Wily Goblin because simply they don't do much in most sitsuations
These are just my thoughts and you don't need to change anything because I say so but these are what I recommend for your deck. If you want / need I can explain why I would take those cards out that I mention and what I would put in
1 month ago
Thanks for your time
Kari Zev, Skyship RaiderIts a good idea especially since it has a low mana cost.
I could swap it in with 2 Stormblood Berserker
1 month ago
No way should you try and make this version of pirates a control deck, this is for sure aggro. You get some of that 1/1 that when it attacks is a 2/1 and some Kari Zev, Skyship Raider and you will be ending games fast