|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
Look at the top 4 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Supreme Will Discussion
4 weeks ago
List of budget and non-budget ones that I think are great additions in a support matchup:
I'd also look at extra turn effect cards like any of them really because they cost 1 less for you and your entire team takes the extra turn, probably 2 or 3 in this deck won't hurt.
what I think is meh and very situational or just bad and slow :
@MyBoringLife if i missed anything this plebian knows all about the
1 month ago
Gotta say, you have a nice deck there. I love it! I've been working on a GAAIV deck for high-power, yet not cEDH, meta for a while and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it; The Nope Pope.
I also have a few specific questions and I'd love to hear from you on these matters;
1) IsoRev combo - how happy are you with it? Where would you or would you not recommend it? Why?
2) Long-Term Plans - is it worth the mana cost and the wait?
4) Terminus - how pleased are you with it? And if you are, is it worth it without Scroll Rack ? My meta can be very aggressive and I want to keep an eye out for any useful piece of removal. Is it worth it without Scroll rack?
5) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria - how happy are you with it? I'm thinking about buying a copy once it gets reprinted in Challenger decks and/or rotates out. Is there a better way to spend 20-ish euros? I've been extremely happy with the walkers I've got in so far and I'm very interested in adding more.
6) Sphere of Resistance - I'm considering it for the deck. My meta isn't awfully fast, but it could help me tax my opponents hard and to make conditional taxing impossible to pay
7) Winter Orb / Armageddon - when would you play these? I included them at first, but I accidentally found myself thriving under opponent's WOrb and it got me thinking; my non-cEDH meta relies on lands a lot. I'm interested in your perspective on the matter.
9) Helm+RIP - I currently don't have Helm. I'm planning on getting it eventually, but I'm interested in your perspective about how important it is. Is it a must-have piece I cannot do without or can I reasonably delay it and, if so, what would be more urgent/efficient upgrades to my deck?
I know this is a lot and I fully understand if you don't cover everything. I'm thankful for any feedback I can get.
And again, a nice deck! I only recently upvoted it, but it was one of my source lists since the very beginning and I respect your work. Which is the very reason I respect and want to hear your opinion.
2 months ago
DimirAgent8 thanks for the feedback!
My thinking with Hieroglyphic Illumination is that, while both its modes are subpar, having both options is actually good for this deck, and in practice I haven't had problems with it. It's pretty nice with hands where you have homunculus and not Gifts, since you can hold up any interaction then cast it at the end of their turn to draw two, hopefully digging you into a Gifts for turn 4. The cantrip 'mode' isn't good, but it does get an instant in the yard on turn one for homunculus to flip. Don't forget about flipped Homunculus' discount - Hiero as an instant speed Divination is actually pretty good. I can totally see the argument for just going with better cantrips, but it's worked decently for me up till now. If I replace it, I actually think Thought Scour would be the initial pick, since the self mill is actually reasonably helpful.
Thirst for Knowledge and Champion of Wits probably seem weird, but there are reasons I have included them. There are hands with this deck where you have a fatty and Unburial Rites in your opening hand, and having discard outlets that discard two cards is actually really helpful there. This is the same reason Collective Brutality is such an all-star in this deck - I have won games by discarding a fatty and Elesh Norn on turn three and reanimating them on turn 4. In addition to giving a little more consistency to the plan, they both dig into the deck. Champion of Wits in particular can be a quasi-finisher that refills your hand at a pretty low opportunity cost.
I do agree that the countermagic is subpar, but it's here mostly to protect the fatties. That's the main reason I'm running Negate - it slots in extremely well into the ideal sequence of cantrip -> homunculus -> Gifts. On turn four, you'll be reanimating for three mana thanks to the discount, letting you hold up one blue mana for the negate to protect against spot removal, board wipes, and surgicals. (Mana Leak also benefits from this.) I do want to try out Logic Knot, but I'm not sure if the anti-synergy with Homunculus is worth it. Supreme Will is an interesting suggestion! I hadn't thought of that and that might be promising.
All that said, I can definitely envision a more control oriented version of this deck using more/better cantrips and counterspells with a higher percentage of removal, and that might be the next direction I take it in. Thanks a ton for taking the time to evaluate my deck :)
2 months ago
This deck is super sweet. Gifts Ungiven is an incredible magic card and this deck really makes use of its value potential. A few things I would recommend:
- Go for the Throat is strictly better than Cast Down against most decks, since legendary creatures are much more common than artifact creatures. You could also play Murderous Cut if you weren't comfortable with the downside, but it does hinder your Curious Homunculus Flip and Torrential Gearhulk package a bit
- Hieroglyphic Illumination is super awkward in this deck since on 1 you'd rather cast Opt and on 4 you'd rather cast Gifts Ungiven . I'd probably cut them for 2 more Opt and another value spell
- Thirst for Knowledge isn't great in this deck since you can't take advantage of the "unless you discard an artifact" clause very often. I'd honestly probably cut this for countermagic or removal but if you were really insistent on playing another draw spell Think Twice is much better, especially in Gifts Ungiven piles. I'd also recommend cutting Champion of Wits in this 3-drop slot since it's sorcery speed and your deck really wants to curve 1-2-4 with Curious Homunculus Flip
- Your countermagic package leaves much to be desired. I'd definitely play some number of Remand (if you can afford it) and make your 1-ofs Logic Knot and Mana Leak , or Supreme Will if you're REALLY lacking in card selection. Negate is just too narrow for modern (though it is a good sideboard option) and Condescend is only really good in hand, and even then feels a bit clunky without Blue-Tron levels of mana acceleration
- Fatal Push would be very good in this deck, and from my understanding is pretty inexpensive right now. I'd pick those up and slot them in if you can.
The deck idea here is sweet, and I think with some minor changes it could make a super sweet budge deck. Good luck tuning it and have fun!
3 months ago
Hi there, I'm from the advertise your commander thread.
I used to have a Nin, the Pain Artist deck based on stealing and copying your opponents stuff. I always liked to win using your opponents cards, so its nice to see a deck with a similar theme.
I think your current build has a lot of room for optimization as there are many cards that have strictly or subjectively better counterparts. These are some suggestions for cards I would replace and what with:
Other cards that fit the theme of the deck: Clone, Stunt Double, Phyrexian Metamorph, Clever Impersonator, Roil Elemental, Vesuvan Doppelganger, Cackling Counterpart & Rite of Replication (Non budget: Bribery & Gilded Drake)
I would probably drop the flicker subtheme you currently have because you dont run a lot of creatures and go down a few lands (37 should be fine) in favor of more draw (Rhystic Study & Mystic Remora are nice). Also, one of the good things about black is the access to tutors. By adding tutors you increase the consistency of your deck, as they effectively serve as an extra copy of all the other cards in your deck. Lim-Dul's Vault, Beseech the Queen and Dark Petition are some good relatively cheap ones. (If you want to invest a bit of money in it, Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor are great.)
I hope this helps and good luck with deckbuilding!
PS. Dont forget to comment on the previously posted deck in the 'advertise your commander deck' thread. ;)
4 months ago
So I have a deck with this exact same commander and combo's except a bit wider price range and its casual-competitive (it can go against comp decks but my goal with every game is to have fun not to win Ex: some games I could get a Doomsday off when im storming and floating mana and could win that way for sure but would rather Mind's Desire or something fun other times I turn 3 Doomsday) If your making it comp I would suggest forgetting about storm entirely except as an engine for combing. Don't put in cards that are good when your storming off put in cards that will enable you to dig asap into your combo's. Cards to drop in favor of ether more draw/ramp would be Capsize Fire Covenant Geistblast Rakdos Charm Supreme Will Rise from the Tides Spelltwine and Wizard's Retort
4 months ago
4 months ago
Love the list! Though I'm curious as to why Supreme Will isn't on the list, as it seems to meet the qualifications. Sadly, Condescend and Syncopate don't seem to meet the 4th criteria, unless you think the option of scrying 2 and/or exiling the spell is worth it.
Supreme Will occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%