Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
When Pia Nalaar enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.
: Target artifact creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
, Sacrifice an artifact: Target creature can't block this turn.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , gildan_bladeborn|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Pia Nalaar occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Pia Nalaar Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, nice start for a budget version.
Consider more one to four drop creatures who can be cast before Jor and who can create an artifact when they ETB? You want creatures on the battlefield before you play Jor to take advantage of attacking with the pump, but you also need three artifacts to get that pump. Creatures with double strike are good if metalcraft is active, but without it they're lackluster. Boros Keyrune is the right idea since it's an artifact first and then it can turn into a creature with double strike.
Pia/Kiran is very good budget creature to curve into Jor since it puts three creatures on the battlefield including two artifacts meaning you only need one other artifact to activate metalcraft. The other two artifact lands: Ancient Den and Great Furnace help a lot when trying to activate metalcraft. Mishra's Factory can turn into an artifact creature for one mana.
Smuggler's Copter is a powerful two drop flying Vehicle. It can be a repeatable source of draw and it's an artifact that turns into a artifact creature by crew 1 (tapping any other creature you control). Hammer of Purphoros gives Jor as well as all your other creatures haste and it can be a repeatable source of an artifact and a creature.
Goblin Welder is great with artifacts as repeatable reanimation since you can sac an artifact you control to reanimate any artifact in your graveyard. It's good with Myr Battlesphere as a way to reanimate it, sac it, have artifact fodder to keep reanimating it.
The manabase can use some budget improvements of dual lands.
- Command Tower
- Battlefield Forge
- Boros Garrison
- Opal Palace
- Temple of Triumph
- Ash Barrens
- Evolving Wilds
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Introducing the synonyms/nicknames system to alleviate all those "wtf was that one land of that one cycle named?" problems that plague you.
This system is simple. It is designed to redirect terms that you typed out that match a synonym/nickname of a card, to that card name. This lets you never have to remember the name "Seachrome Coast" and can instead just type out "WU Fastland" (as an example). Note that this only works in text edit entries on deck lists and inventory, not the live edit or the card search forms.
There is a lot of other things that are utilised here as well.
- Godzilla Names
- Non-American Spellings
- Common Nicknames
- Common Misspellings
- Redirections of Misspelled Submissions
- Each side of a split card as a synonym (unless they already exist as a card).
Not needing to know the name of each card in a land/artifact cycle is a big boon, but you still need to know the nickname of that cycle and the syntax. For lands/mana rocks/the swords of X and Y at the present moment it is always "XY Nickname" or "YX Nickname". Examples:
- WU Fastland
- GR BFZ
- GW ABUR Dual Land
- BW Fetch
For 2 colour lands, it is always the two colour letters, followed by the nickname, and then followed by the option to have the world land either connected to the nickname or not. (these are all viable options for example: "WU Fast", "UW Fastland", "UW Fast Land".) For 3 colour lands, it is only the primary order of colour letters you see on cards, or the Alara/Khans name. (WUB Lair, Mardu Triome as examples.) Swords and other artifact cycles follow the same setup (though swords can also be "Sword of GB" or "Sword of G and B"), and mono colour land cycles use the same setup just with only one letter. Note that none of these are plural, so don't put that s in. Colourless cards that are a part of a cycle use C/Colorless/Colourless.
Some of these cycles don't have well defined names yet (like BBD) and some of these cycles have had too many names that people constantly fight over so there was no point in bothering to put them all in and instead I just used the TLA (specifically BFZ).
The primary purpose of this is to make the ability to tag cards and edit decks/inventory far more robust than what it has been. Tappedout doesn't presently have a spellchecker, and to be fair most sites don't. It's not an easy feature to implement. So with this synonyms/nicknames feature, we can alleviate some of those aggravations of misspellings or different ways to spell a word by making them valid targets and redirecting them to the right card name. Another benefit of this is the ability to give cards shorthands or nicknames when the community largely doesn't remember the actual name of a card, just their shorthand. We have all been hit with "wtf is that land's name again?" when we know for a fact that it's just "the blue and white shadows over innistrad reveal land". This saves the step of having to open up a search engine to figure out the card name, and in general speeds up and makes the process of building decks and inventory, a lot more enjoyable.
Cycles that currently have nicknames: Show
- ABUR Duals as ABUR/Duals/ABUR Duals
- MDR Artifact Lands as Artifact Lands
- AKH Bike Lands as Bikes/Bicycles/Bicyclings/Cycle Lands/Cycling Lands
- BFZ Lands as BFZ/BFZ Lands
- RAV Guildhalls as Guildhalls
- SHM/EVE Lands as Filters
- VIS Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- RAV Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- MH1 Lands as Horizons/Canopy Lands
- SOI Lands as SOI Lands/Reveal Lands
- Swords of X and Y as XY Swords/Swords of XY/Swords of X and Y
- Temples as Temples/Scrylands
- Thrivings as Thrives/Thrivings
- IKO Triomes as Triomes/Tricycles/Cycles/Cyclings
A lot of the cycle synonyms are meant to intuitive and robust so that you won't even have to think about knowing what the exact written synonym actually is and still be able to get it right on the first try, though it will take time to reach a point in which this is 100% true. As an example of scope, each recognized nickname for a cycle creates 6 entries for each given card in that cycle. So the AKH lands have 30 entries for each card in that cycle, resulting in a total of 150 entries. The Triomes have the same amount, but if I were to add each individual string combination of the colour letters (WUB, BUW, WBU etc) then that count would increase by 45 for each entry, resulting 75 entries for each one, totalling at 375 entries for the whole cycle.
Nicknames will usually be things like "Snappy", "Bolt", "Path", "Bob", "FoW", etc. They are to be commonly used by the larger community as a whole, not what your FNM/play group exclusively uses (though this isn't a hard set in stone as I'm not omniscient).
Here's a list of nicknames that I have. Show
- Aether Vial: Vial
- Aetherflux Reservoir: Dome Dome
- Assassin's Trophy: Ass Trophy
- Birds of Paradise: Birds, BoP
- Bloodbraid Elf: BBE
- Brimstone Trebuchet: Bucket
- Cavalcade of Calamity: Cavalcade
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip: Baby Chandra
- Chandra Nalaar: Zippotricks McEdgelord
- Charming Prince: Prince Charming
- Collected Company: CoCo
- Dark Confidant: Bob
- Dark Ritual: Rit
- Demonic Tutor: DT
- Dig Through Time: DTT
- Eternal Witness: E-Wit, E-Witness
- Explosive Vegetation: Explosive Veggies
- Field of Ruin: FoR
- Force of Will: FoW
- Ghost Quarter: GC
- Gilded Goose: Goose
- Giver of Runes: Mommy, Stepmom
- Goblin Charbelcher: Belcher, Charbelcher
- Grave Titan: Gravy Train
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel: Gary
- Griselbrand: Grizzy B
- Hypnotic Specter: Hippie
- Inquisition of Kozilek: IoK
- Jace, Cunning Castaway: Sexy Jace
- Jace, the Mindsculptor: Jace, JtMS
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries: Lab Jace,
- Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip: Literal Actual Baby Jace
- Jace Beleren: Party Jace
- Karn Liberated: Karn
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Kiki, Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Kitchen Finks: Finks
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip: Baby Gideon, Baby Gids
- Laboratory Maniac: Lab Man, Lab Maniac
- Life from the Loam: Loam
- Lightning Bolt: Bolt
- Lightning Helix: Helix
- Lightning Strike: Strike
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Baby Lili
- Liliana, the Last Hope: Last Hope
- Liliana of the Veil: Lili, LotV
- Lion's Eye Diamond: LED
- Llanowar Elves: Dork, Elf
- Mother of Runes: Mom
- Necropotence: Necro
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: Baby Nissa
- Oblivion Ring: O-Ring
- Oko, Thief of Crowns: Oko
- Path to Exile: Path, PtE
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Chandra's Parents, Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa, Pia and Kiran, Parents
- Pia Nalaar: Chandra's Mom, Pia
- Primeval Titan: Prime Time
- Prodigal Sorcerer: Tim
- Sakura-Tribe Elder: STE, Steve
- Savage Punch: Bear Punch
- Scalding Tarn: Tarn
- Scavenging Ooze: Scooze
- Sensei's Divining Top: Top
- Settle the Wreckage: Settle
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: Skittles
- Smuggler's Copter: Copter, Thopter Copter
- Snapcaster Mage: Snapcaster, Snappy
- Solemn Simulacrum: Sad Robot
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor: Sad Sorin
- Splinter Twin: Twin
- Swords to Plowshares: Swords
- Tarmogoyf: Goyf, Goyfy, Tarmo
- Tectonic Edge: Tec Edge, TecEdge
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: 5feri, T5feri
- Teferi, Time Raveler: 3feri, T3feri
- The Gitrog Monster: Gitrog, HypnoToad, Hypno Toad
- Thing in the Ice Flip: Titi
- Torrential Gearhulk: Fatcaster
- True-Name Nemesis: TNM, TNN, True-Name
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Eugene, Ugin
- Wrenn and Six: W6, Wand6, Wn6
I have about 200+ cards of non-American spellings added as synonyms in this site, however I'm certain there's like, 5x that much I've missed. If you notice a non-american spelling I do not have in, let me know.
Here's a list of things that is in the works to do. Show
- All triple coloured land cycles (triomes, lairs, trilands) to have an entry for each of their letter combinations. (Example, bant lands would have WUG, GUW, WGU, GWU, UGW, UWG.)
- All dual coloured land cycles will have the ravnican guild names to replace the two colours as an option.
- All land cycles will have the TLA as an option to replace the nickname.
- All land cycles to have "Nickname XY" format.
- More non-american spellings.
- More common misspellings.
- Cards that have or do not have the word "and", to have a synonym of the opposite.
- Synonym that is a version of the card name but without punctuation.
- Nicknames of all the cards with commas that ignores everything past the comma, provided that it is unique.
- Fringe/old land cycles.
- A lot of mana rock cycles.
A card can have any number of synonyms/nicknames. But only one synonym/nickname can be tied to a card. So if a new card/land cycle gets printed that has covers a misspelling (like an UNcard might) or has that nickname as it's actual card name, those synonyms will get removed (as an example, Snapcaster Mage cannot have Snap as a nickname). We are also looking to limit the amount of times a synonym has to get removed so nicknames of cards during their presence in the standard formats are not likely to be put in, as they become forgotten or even re-used when they rotate out. These are also done manually so sometimes a change might just take a while to do if it encompasses a large number of cards or a large number of synonyms.. We also won't be going through alternate language as possible synonyms because WotC doesn't nearly double check duplicate card names for foreign languages as well as they do for English cards.
This is not something on the card submission form, so it is not available to edit for any user.
If you know of something missing like common misspellings or common non-American spellings that will be needed, or cycle syntaxes that you tried to use but didn't work, post them here and I'll review them for possible inclusion in the future.
EDIT: Before you ask for a nickname etc to be added:
- Check if it exists first by trying it out.
- Check if the larger community recognizes it, this is done by going around discords, lgs' and other forums about that nickname.
- Check if it has any nsfw, discriminatory or derogatory terminology, we straight up will not allow these.
This isn't a system for your pet nickname that your local playgroup uses. This is a system that can utilize nicknames that naturally grew organically out of continued use from the larger mtg community as a whole. This isn't a "which nicknames do you think this system could use" but rather "which nicknames that are used across the world that we have missed".
1 month ago
Grind thanks! I actually tend to run the artifact lands in almost all my decks because they all tend to have at least one card in them that synergizes with them. In the cast of this deck, it's Enlightened Tutor, Pia and Kiran Nalaar and Pia Nalaar. Do you ever really want to tutor a land with Enlightened Tutor? Not so much. But just having the option is you're really manascrewed (which in Boros is a distinct possibility) makes it worth it in my opinion. Odds are if a Bane of Progress or something similar comes down, it'll be later in the game when it won't make much difference. Also, Pia and Pia + Kiran can sacrifice artifacts to do something. While the point of having them in the deck is not really to use those abilities, you never know when they might come in handy, so having extra sacrifice fodder ready is nice, especially when you don't have to play anything outside of colored lands to help out.
9 months ago
I play a vehicles deck as well but mine has a stronger emphasis on bonuses from crewing. Creatures like Hateflayer and King Macar, the Gold-Cursed might be worthy of your consideration. Also Aethershield Artificer , Veteran Motorist , and Weldfast Engineer all give a vehicle or two a little boost. Sai, Master Thopterist , Pia Nalaar , Efficient Construction , and Thopter Spy Network are all decent servo/thopter creators; and Master Trinketeer pumps all those creations for better crewing! Then add in Anointed Procession , Parallel Lives and/or ! Doubling Season ! for even more tokens. Start Your Engines and Aerial Modification are good inclusions as well. Some cards that we both need to put in our decks are Padeem, Consul of Innovation , Aeronaut Admiral and Built to Smash . Atraxa, Praetors' Voice and Breya, Etherium Shaper would be great in your deck! Mirrorworks ? Mirage Mirror ?
9 months ago
Since I don't know your deck's colors, I'd suggest to choose one from this list of beautiful redhead ladies:
9 months ago
If you're looking to boost your combo, Tezzeret the Seeker may be able to assist you in getting the cards you're looking for. If you want to make this a competitive deck mainly featuring thopters, Sai, Master Thopterist , Pia Nalaar and Pia and Kiran Nalaar all give you thopters (and things to do with those thopters). You may also consider Thopter Assembly and Thopter Spy Network . And of course Master of Etherium goes well in any artifact deck, particularly one that gets lots of artifacts out.
For lands, Temple of Epiphany gets you some scrying, which is nice whether you're searching for that combo or not.
1 year ago
Since most of your artifacts will be tokens, I don't think Padeem, Consul of Innovation and One with the Machine will be that effective unless you just want hexproof from Padeem. Same with Metalwork Colossus (not much cost reduction) and Traxos, Scourge of Kroog won't trigger that much. I don't think Ancient Stone Idol and Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer really fit the theme.
I don't think you need as many mana rocks since Saheeli discounts everything. I'd shift more to be 2 cost mana rocks if anything so Saheeli gets out faster. You don't really need the ones that cost like 6 and make 3.
Some recommendations: Ghirapur AEther Grid , Pia Nalaar , Broodstar , Darksteel Juggernaut , Steel Overseer , Lodestone Myr , Blinkmoth Urn and Gravitational Shift . Check out cards with Metalcraft too, there might be some good ones and you'll basically always have it active.
1 year ago
More recent cards: Priest of Forgotten Gods , Severed Strands , Rubinia Soulsinger , Niambi, Faithful Healer , Everdawn Champion , Pia Nalaar , Sly Requisitioner , Bloodbond Vampire , Windrider Patrol