|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Untap target creature.
Draw a card.
4 months ago
I haven't fleshed out the description for the new list yet, but the general gist is it takes the ideas from this list and trims down the CMC (TappedOut doesn't do CMC for split cards correctly, so the number it reports is wrong), adds protection effects, efficient standalone token producers, efficient targeted clone spells, and tries to go instant speed where it can, and it removes the slow, narrow, and situational cards. In general, it's faster and more resilient with fewer dead cards and more potential to win out of nowhere.
Notable removals from this deck:
- Mentor effects: Talrand, Sky Summoner , Docent of Perfection Flip, Metallurgic Summonings : Mentor effects are slow, removal magnets, and generally not as good as efficient standalone token producers (the same four mana for Talrand gets you five creatures immediately off Hunted Troll ) or clone spells. These three were cut because they're the most expensive, plus Talrand and Summonings don't have the same synergy with the added clone effects.
- Targeted token makers: Adverse Conditions , AEther Mutation , Supplant Form : Expensive, replaced by cheaper clones like Quasiduplicate . Clones have additional synergy with Hunted creatures and the few ETB utility dudes ( Eternal Witness , Imperial Recruiter , Spellseeker ).
- Wincons: Berserk , Confront the Unknown , Fiery Gambit , Willbreaker : Berserk and Confront have been replaced by Appeal / Authority , though Confront might still be better. Gambit is a 3-mana wincon that's annoying to resolve and still doesn't win through infinite life like LabMan does. It's been replaced by Kari Zev's Expertise , which is a wincon, untap/haste effect for Earthcraft, Cryptolith Rite, and Natural Affinity, and also has the insane ability to cast a spell from your hand for free for each creature, and each of those spells then gets copied as well. Willbreaker is painfully slow, requires you to cast another spell to actually do anything, and doesn't even give the haste/untap from red threaten effects. If the deck needs to pass the turn after it tries to go off, Willbreaker's likely going to get removed anyway.
- Synergy: Isochron Scepter and Unsubstantiate : Too slow, and your cheap instants are redundant enough that you don't really need to be able to repeat a specific one. Plus, most of the time you'd want to put a cantrip on it, and Scepter actually increases the cost of those. These are slow win-more cards that look clever but don't actually end up doing much in practice because the deck is already plenty redundant.
- Hexproof equipment: Swiftfoot Boots and Champion's Helm : Cut for Lightning Greaves . Shroud looks anti-synergistic, but the zero equip cost means you can move it over to a token on your turn when you're ready to do things and it can be used to give a mana army haste for Cryptolith Rite or Natural Affinity. If you need to protect Ink-Treader while actually going off, shroud is worse than hexproof, but generally you'll just wait to go off until you have a protection spell ready.
- Cantrip: Shadow Rift : This was actually the hardest cut. Instant-speed targeted cantrips are what makes the deck tick, and for a while I had Refocus in. I eventually decided that the difference between 10 and 11 1-mana cantrips was negligible, and Shadow Rift is the worst one (it does literally nothing; everything having shadow is the same as nothing having shadow). All of the others have at least some utility or synergy.
There's actually an infinite combo in the deck with Spellseeker + Earthcraft/Cryptolith Rite: With one of the rampchantments and Inktreader in play plus some mana to start, cast Spellseeker into Twinflame . Twinflame (radiated) copies Spellseeker and gets more hasty dudes to tap for mana. New Seeker gets Regrowth , which gets Twinflame back. Twinflame again gets you even more dudes, plus two new Spellseekers. One of those seekers gets Eladamri's Call into Eternal Witness , which gets Twinflame back, the other seeker getting a cantrip. The next Twinflame not only gets you four more seeker-tutors, it also gives you another Witness, which can get back Twinflame again, and further Twinning makes multiple Witnesses so you can get back your graveyard, all while drawing your deck through the cantrips you've seeker'd up and getting an infinite army of hasty dudes for attacking and mana (you're tapping two for Twinflame mana every iteration, but each cast doubles your army size).
The most exciting single new card by far is Electrodominance . For a long time I had Savage Summoning in the list because instant speed is so important for combo decks, and this just replaced it. Dominance has the downside of not being able to cast Ink-Treader from the command zone, but it works on all spell types instead of just creatures, can be used as removal in a pinch, AND it's targeted, which means it has the Kari Zev's Expertise effect of casting a free spell for each creature on the field that then also get radiated. We play targeted indestructible effects for protection and Pongify anyways, so you're likely to not even reduce the creature count from the Dominance damage. EOT radiated Electrodominance for X=3 is generally game.
7 months ago
good card for them to replace are :High Tide, Distant Melody, Airborne Aid, Shared Discovery, Mizzium Skin, Gigadrowse, Sage's Row Denizen, Rhystic Study, any of the cantrips. theres a bit of protection, control and card draw. but i suggest you take out Sudden Storm, Aerial Formation, Piracy Charm, Hubris, Jace's Scrutiny, Refocus, Reach Through Mists, Tidal Bore. for more useful cards like Gush, Hoodwink, Man-o'-War, Snap, Volrath's Curse, Relic of Progenitus and more counters like Dream Fracture, Faerie Trickery, Arcane Denial, Logic Knot oh and See Beyond seems like a good enough hand filter.
9 months ago
I would recommend fewer copies of Mistcutter Hydra and possibly more copies of Protean Hydra as the protection from blue that Mistcutter has is kind of a nonbo with Refocus, Vorel and Hadana's Climb Flip
11 months ago
Cerulean Wisps? It cantrips, and it can power out a little bigger spell. Refocus doesn't seem as good- its a poor Manamorphose at best. Ornamental Courage might work as bolt protection. Second Wind is interesting in that it can power out quite a large spell the turn after its played, but it isn't a 'go infinte' option. Thassa's Ire is interesting in that it isn't an aura, but the mana requirement makes it hard to work with. I've never made Thousand-Year Elixir work.
11 months ago
Immobilizing Ink is nice spell, because its synergies with many other things like untapping Tidehollow Strix with Viridian Longbow, or untapping Disciple with Retraction Helix. Now, when i add this to my deck, I'm thinking to add more 1-2 CMC cards that working with tap\untap mechannics.
I was playing with Refocus several times. Usually, i use it as emergency counterspell summoner. I keep mana open, and in danger use Refocus to untap Disciple and find counterspell. If no danger appears, i can "transmute" refocus itself to find another combo piece.
Comparing with Dream's Grip, Refocus is better, because we can untap Disciple usually on 3th turn, and we still have one mana left for Dispell. But Refocus also will return a card, what Grip can't. Still, i need to think more, because Grip can lower the mana curve, and i targeting to have most of spells 1-2 mana.
1 year ago
I'm still new to the format, but Immobilizing Ink and Refocus both looked a bit meh and am not sure how effect they are. Focus seems fine since it cycles, I just wasn't sure how often it ends up being dead in hand. Ink, however, looked costly since you have to pay 2U and discard two cards in-order to tutor one. I'm Still collecting the cards for the deck to get in my first game (12 to go) so thanks for your insight on Narcolepsy.
1 year ago
Doesn't look like it works like you're wanting it to. You have two artifacts that say Tap, but no Untap. That leaves you with only untapping on your upkeep, and letting your opponent play his cards freely on his turn after you do. So while you get the initiative you don't really get to abuse it fully.
Add land untapping indirectly with Slab Hammer.
Add Flash cards so that you can tap and play on opponents' turns, allowing you to Untap for free on your turn, after you untap your mana maybe? Ask the rule guys about that.
Add Quicksilver Amulet to play Flash creatures of any mana cost when Winter Orb is tapped. Creatures cannot be countered as they aren't cast.
Add Brain in a Jar to play your 1, 2 and 3 mana spells, for one mana. Reset for 3 mana or just stop using it, or up your spell mana costs for powerful game winning spells.
Add Horribly Awry to abuse opponent's limited mana access.
1 year ago
Add:Rabid Bite, Radha, Heir to Keld, Radiant Flames, Rageblood Shaman, Raging Kavu, Raging Regisaur, Rakka Mar, Ral Zarek, Rampaging Ferocidon, Ranging Raptors, Raptor Hatchling, Rapid Hybridization, Rattlechains, Ravenous Daggertooth, Ray of Command, Razorfin Hunter, Reach of Branches, Realms Uncharted, Ramunap Excavator, Reckless Bushwhacker, Reforge the Soul, Regisaur Alpha, Rekindled Flame, Repeating Barrage, Resilient Khenra, Rhonas's Monument, Riddleform, Ridgescale Tusker, Riding the Dilu Horse, Rings of Brighthearth, Ripjaw Raptor, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Roaring Primadox, Rush of Blood, Ryusei, the Falling Star.
Cuts:Rite of Passage, Rhystic Deluge, Root Elemental, River Serpent, Renegade Doppelganger, Reality Smasher, Ruination, Ring of Immortals, Rush of Ice, Rushing River, Rites of Refusal, Resuscitate, Reset, Read the Runes, Regenerate, Rampaging Hippo, Reach Through Mists, Relentless Assault, Remote Isle, Rhox, Riverwheel Aerialists, Reduce in Stature, Rakshasa's Disdain, Reality Spasm, Refocus, Repeal, Repopulate, Rescind, Rescue, Revolutionary Rebuff, Rewind, Rise of Eagles, Retribution, .
No data for this card yet.