|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Docent of Perfection
Creature — Insect Horror
Whenever you cast and instant or sorcery spell, put a 1/1 blue Human Wizard token creature onto the battlefield. Then, if you control three or more Wizards, transform Docent of Perfection.
Docent of Perfection Discussion
5 days ago
Ral, Storm Conduit and Fated Infatuation for a more casual deck that can still combo off if provided enough time. Run Mirrorwing Dragon, Zada, Hedron Grinder and Docent of Perfection Flip to combo with infinite wizards. Not the most original but it won't combo off turn 3 or 4 like Expansion / Explosion .
1 week ago
Also Metallurgic Summonings will reduce thoughtcast's commander tax to zero.
2 weeks ago
Evolving Wilds placeholder for Bloodstained Mire
Swamp placeholder for Drowned Catacomb
Swamp placeholder for Polluted Delta
Island placeholder for Soldevi Excavations
Swiftwater Cliffs placeholder for Sulfur Falls
Island placeholder for Temple of Deceit
Island placeholder for Temple of Epiphany
Mountain placeholder for Temple of Malice
Izzet Charm placeholder for Hinder
Faithless Looting placeholder for Frantic Search
Kindred Dominance placeholder for Cyclonic Rift
Docent of Perfection Flip placeholder for Kolaghan's Command
Increasing Vengeance placeholder for Reiterate
Dualcaster Mage placeholder for Spell Crumple
Suffer the Past placeholder for Exsanguinate
Clone Legion placeholder for Insurrection
Jace's Ingenuity placeholder for Mind Grind
Memory Plunder placeholder for Torment of Hailfire
Dark Ritual placeholder for Tunnel Vision
Worn Powerstone placeholder for Vandalblast
4 weeks ago
Before we get into this, I just want to say that if I sound like a know-it-all and a dick, it's toatally unintentional and I apologize for it. Also, I have never played Jeskai in EDH, so please take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
It's kind of hard to find a good Jeskai Commander that is based around creatures, so I think you have two options:
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest , which will have to be more spell based, to trigger his abilities,
Of course, you could have both in your deck, and switch them around as the meta/playgroup changes, but it's best to choose one now. I'll provide options for both.
The ramp and land package wil be roughly the same, so I'll start with that. I use TCC's manabase template, but feel free to change it.
TCC's template for a manabase is this, but feel free to change it to fit your budget etc.
3 OG Duals (Can be replaced by Check, Scry or Man lands)
3 Zend-Onslought Fetch (Can be replaced by Panoramas)
15 total basics and utility (9/6 split)
3 Filter Lands
3 Pain Lands
4 Any Colour Lands
1 Tri Land
3 Other Lands(more utility, duals, Lairs, etc)
Here's a deck that I drafted if you want Shu Yun, Silent Tempest as your commander. I left three slots for the cards already in your deck
That ends my very long post. Feel free the change anything you want about the decks I made, as they are only a first draft.
1 month ago
I haven't fleshed out the description for the new list yet, but the general gist is it takes the ideas from this list and trims down the CMC (TappedOut doesn't do CMC for split cards correctly, so the number it reports is wrong), adds protection effects, efficient standalone token producers, efficient targeted clone spells, and tries to go instant speed where it can, and it removes the slow, narrow, and situational cards. In general, it's faster and more resilient with fewer dead cards and more potential to win out of nowhere.
Notable removals from this deck:
- Mentor effects: Talrand, Sky Summoner , Docent of Perfection Flip, Metallurgic Summonings : Mentor effects are slow, removal magnets, and generally not as good as efficient standalone token producers (the same four mana for Talrand gets you five creatures immediately off Hunted Troll ) or clone spells. These three were cut because they're the most expensive, plus Talrand and Summonings don't have the same synergy with the added clone effects.
- Targeted token makers: Adverse Conditions , AEther Mutation , Supplant Form : Expensive, replaced by cheaper clones like Quasiduplicate . Clones have additional synergy with Hunted creatures and the few ETB utility dudes ( Eternal Witness , Imperial Recruiter , Spellseeker ).
- Wincons: Berserk , Confront the Unknown , Fiery Gambit , Willbreaker : Berserk and Confront have been replaced by Appeal / Authority , though Confront might still be better. Gambit is a 3-mana wincon that's annoying to resolve and still doesn't win through infinite life like LabMan does. It's been replaced by Kari Zev's Expertise , which is a wincon, untap/haste effect for Earthcraft, Cryptolith Rite, and Natural Affinity, and also has the insane ability to cast a spell from your hand for free for each creature, and each of those spells then gets copied as well. Willbreaker is painfully slow, requires you to cast another spell to actually do anything, and doesn't even give the haste/untap from red threaten effects. If the deck needs to pass the turn after it tries to go off, Willbreaker's likely going to get removed anyway.
- Synergy: Isochron Scepter and Unsubstantiate : Too slow, and your cheap instants are redundant enough that you don't really need to be able to repeat a specific one. Plus, most of the time you'd want to put a cantrip on it, and Scepter actually increases the cost of those. These are slow win-more cards that look clever but don't actually end up doing much in practice because the deck is already plenty redundant.
- Hexproof equipment: Swiftfoot Boots and Champion's Helm : Cut for Lightning Greaves . Shroud looks anti-synergistic, but the zero equip cost means you can move it over to a token on your turn when you're ready to do things and it can be used to give a mana army haste for Cryptolith Rite or Natural Affinity. If you need to protect Ink-Treader while actually going off, shroud is worse than hexproof, but generally you'll just wait to go off until you have a protection spell ready.
- Cantrip: Shadow Rift : This was actually the hardest cut. Instant-speed targeted cantrips are what makes the deck tick, and for a while I had Refocus in. I eventually decided that the difference between 10 and 11 1-mana cantrips was negligible, and Shadow Rift is the worst one (it does literally nothing; everything having shadow is the same as nothing having shadow). All of the others have at least some utility or synergy.
There's actually an infinite combo in the deck with Spellseeker + Earthcraft/Cryptolith Rite: With one of the rampchantments and Inktreader in play plus some mana to start, cast Spellseeker into Twinflame . Twinflame (radiated) copies Spellseeker and gets more hasty dudes to tap for mana. New Seeker gets Regrowth , which gets Twinflame back. Twinflame again gets you even more dudes, plus two new Spellseekers. One of those seekers gets Eladamri's Call into Eternal Witness , which gets Twinflame back, the other seeker getting a cantrip. The next Twinflame not only gets you four more seeker-tutors, it also gives you another Witness, which can get back Twinflame again, and further Twinning makes multiple Witnesses so you can get back your graveyard, all while drawing your deck through the cantrips you've seeker'd up and getting an infinite army of hasty dudes for attacking and mana (you're tapping two for Twinflame mana every iteration, but each cast doubles your army size).
The most exciting single new card by far is Electrodominance . For a long time I had Savage Summoning in the list because instant speed is so important for combo decks, and this just replaced it. Dominance has the downside of not being able to cast Ink-Treader from the command zone, but it works on all spell types instead of just creatures, can be used as removal in a pinch, AND it's targeted, which means it has the Kari Zev's Expertise effect of casting a free spell for each creature on the field that then also get radiated. We play targeted indestructible effects for protection and Pongify anyways, so you're likely to not even reduce the creature count from the Dominance damage. EOT radiated Electrodominance for X=3 is generally game.
2 months ago
+1 Scry 1.
0 Look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card. If an instant or sorcery card is revealed this way, transform Delver of Secrets.
+2 Put the top card of your library into your graveyard. If it’s an instant or sorcery card, put a loyalty counter on Aberrant Researcher.
-4 Create a 1/1 blue Human Wizard creature token. Until the beginning of your next turn, whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/1 blue Human Wizard creature token.
-5 You get an emblem with “Wizards you control get +2/+1 and have flying."
Next: Another :)
2 months ago
DerektheRed I thought about Archaeomancer but haven’t done any games with him in the deck, so maybe I’ll try that out. Nameless One is one that I haven’t seen before and seems pretty good especially if I get Docent of Perfection Flip out on board.
Docent of Perfection occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%