Ray of Command
Untap target creature an opponent controls and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn. When you lose control of the creature, tap it.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska (DDM)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Uncommon|
|Battle Royale Box Set (BRB)||Common|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Common|
|Ice Age (ICE)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ray of Command occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Ray of Command Discussion
2 months ago
A few I haven't seen yet:
- Time Reversal (pretty sure at least one of those is a moon)
- Opportunity (7th)
- Dreamborn Muse (Legions, 10th, Commander)
- Higure, the Still Wind (Betrayers, Planechase)
- All Sun's Zenith cards (Mirrodin Besieged)
- Etched Champion (Scars)
- Strionic Resonator (very debatable) (M14, Commander 2019)
- Gustha's Scepter (Alliances)
- Solarion (Fifth Dawn)
- Precursor Golem (Scars)
- Flying Carpet (Revised, Arabian Nights, 4t, 5th, 6th) (on the minaret)
- Oblivion Stone (Mirrodin, Commander)
- Doomsday (arguable) (Masters 25)
- Mortivore (9th, 10th, Odyssey, Commander)
- Ihsan's Shade (Masters 25)
- Dralnu's Pet (Planeshift)
- Ribbons of the Reikai (Betrayers)
- Somnophore (arguable) (Urza's Saga)
- Jace, the Living Guildpact (2015 Core Set)
- Elvish Ranger (Alliances)
- Descendants' Path (Avacyn)
- Burn at the Stake (Avacyn)
- Chaos Imps (Return to Ravnica)
- Enlightened Tutor (right cheek tattoo) (Mirage, 6th)
- Mother of Runes (in the hieroglyphics, top left) (Eternal Masters)
- Nevermore (Innistrad)
- Bottle of Suleiman (Arabian Nights)
- Silent-Blade Oni (Planechase, Commander 2018)
- Angel of Despair (Guildpact, Commander, Ultimate Masters)
- Glacial Fortress (Magic 2010-2013)
- Darkslick Shores (Scars)
- Plateau (arguable) (Alpha-Revised)
- Caged Sun (New Phyrexia, Commander 2014)
- Berserk (on the belt) (arguable) (All editions but A/B/U)
- Brutalizer Exarch (New Phyrexia, Planechase)
- Lotus Cobra (Zendikar, Iconic Masters)
- Homeward Path (Commander, Commander 2013, Commander 2016)
- Lake of the Dead (arguable) (Alliances)
- Tribute to the Wild (Commander, Commander 2015)
- Serene Heart (Mirage)
- Tranquil Domain (arguable) (Mirage)
- Guard Gomazoa (Rise of the Eldrazi, Commander)
- High Tide (Fallen Empires variant 2)
- Ray of Command (Mirage, Commander)
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon (arguable) (Scars)
- Thrummingbird (Scars)
- Hand of the Praetors (Scars)
- Sword of Light and Shadow (Modern Masters)
- Sword of Body and Mind (Scars, FTV: Relics)
- Sword of Feast and Famine (Mirrodin Beseiged)
- Sword of War and Peace (New Phyrexia)
- Mana-Charged Dragon (Commander)
- Crucible of Worlds (Fifth Dawn, 10th Ed, Core 2019)
Couple tips when looking for moons: Both actual moons and moon symbols count, so keep an eye out for moons on things like books, texts, and manufactured things in the art. There is no limit on how small they can be, though it's obvious it has to be large enough to make out. Some cards have very small, very sneaky moons hidden in them this way.
6 months ago
Temporary Possession (Common)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, exile a creature you control.
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. When you lose control of the creature, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner’s control.
I remembered Ray of Command as the only temporary mind control effect at common and instant speed and how temporary mind control effects shifted to red and sorcery speed over time, e.g Hijack . So I decided to give it a drawback and make it more expensive to balance it for instant speed. The drawback can be turned into an advantage with a bit of buildaround (ETBs) and still fits the effect of the card thematically and is on color, compare it to Teferi's Time Twist for reference. Don't forget, if this spell gets countered, your creature is gone.
Create non- or +whatever color sorcery cantrip.
9 months ago
I can't advise you on specific cards to add because my set knowledge stops at around 2011.
I ran this against Psychatog and got smashed 100% of the time. A good contemporary standard deck should beat Psychatog.
Your mana curve is horrible. You have a win condition that feels like it wants to be aggressive but it doesn't start building until turn 3. You're missing a 2-drop. What your deck kept wanting to do was turn 1, vampire, turn 2, vampire, turn 3 Radiant Destiny , turn 4 sit on counterspells and combat tricks
You have too much boost for not enough creatures. Time after time, Squire's Devotion kept getting stranded in my hand waiting for a critter to put it on, only to get killed by a Repulse (remember Psychatog was once standard). As a general rule, creature enchantments suck. Unless it's on the order of Rancor don't waste the space.
You have a serious color problem. Picture this: your three drop is Benalish Marshal and your 4-drop is Essence Capture . The only way to pull that off is by skipping an early clock to play a guildgate, which neutralizes the marshal. You want that on turn 3, you're attacking with 5 damage.
You have absolutely no board control. I have always argued in favor of maindecking Disenchant (obviously the variant that's current in this format) based on the observation that decks that tend to win major events tend to do this. That and spot removal for creatures, planeswalkers, and problematic lands is useful.
You're not using blue. Not really, anyway. Divination is poo. The power of a good draw spell is that it's an instant so it gives you something to spend when your opponent fails to walk into your counterspells and it's cheap so it helps you early on to dig for creatures when your opening hand is weak. Think: Impulse For a sorcery draw spell it needs to fill my hand. As for counterspells, yours are just not versatile to be worth it. You're going to end up with a Negate When your opponent kicks a Desolation Angel or an Essence Capture when your opponent throws out a Wrath of God . Or whatever the contemporary version of these events, you get the idea. If you can ramp up your creature assault you might look at something like Remand , Memory Lapse , or some other form of Time Walk often mistaken for counterspells.
If there aren't any good draw/counter spells in this environment or decent tricks like Ray of Command you're probably better of going mono-white.
This concludes my TED talk =)
1 year ago
To add further explanation. Ray of Command takes control of a creature after it is on the battlefield and its ETB effect has already gone on the stack. In order to do what I assume you wanted to do you need to cast something like Aethersnatch which takes control of a spell (any spell, even their commander) while it is on the stack and when it resolves if it was a permanent, it will enter the battlefield under your control and you will get the ETB.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Because I've just playtested your deck and the late game is about drawing cards and removal, but no pay-off. And a single Bojuka Bog main? I don't want to sound harsh but your deck desperately needs help IMO. Put some Striped Riverwinder or something. And land-lifegain is fun but 4 Radiant Fountain AND Ash Barrens is quite an unhealthy land-base.
I see on your profile that you have a lot of Pauper decks. I presume you're familiar with the format XD But this deck is quite unfinished. It's cool thought to see a UR deck that doesn't run Delver of Secrets Flip nor is blitz storm, so you have my upvote. This format needs more midrang-ish deck if you ask me, we need more flavor, keep it going :D
1 year ago
Add:Rabid Bite, Radha, Heir to Keld, Radiant Flames, Rageblood Shaman, Raging Kavu, Raging Regisaur, Rakka Mar, Ral Zarek, Rampaging Ferocidon, Ranging Raptors, Raptor Hatchling, Rapid Hybridization, Rattlechains, Ravenous Daggertooth, Ray of Command, Razorfin Hunter, Reach of Branches, Realms Uncharted, Ramunap Excavator, Reckless Bushwhacker, Reforge the Soul, Regisaur Alpha, Rekindled Flame, Repeating Barrage, Resilient Khenra, Rhonas's Monument, Riddleform, Ridgescale Tusker, Riding the Dilu Horse, Rings of Brighthearth, Ripjaw Raptor, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Roaring Primadox, Rush of Blood, Ryusei, the Falling Star.
Cuts:Rite of Passage, Rhystic Deluge, Root Elemental, River Serpent, Renegade Doppelganger, Reality Smasher, Ruination, Ring of Immortals, Rush of Ice, Rushing River, Rites of Refusal, Resuscitate, Reset, Read the Runes, Regenerate, Rampaging Hippo, Reach Through Mists, Relentless Assault, Remote Isle, Rhox, Riverwheel Aerialists, Reduce in Stature, Rakshasa's Disdain, Reality Spasm, Refocus, Repeal, Repopulate, Rescind, Rescue, Revolutionary Rebuff, Rewind, Rise of Eagles, Retribution, .
1 year ago
If you want to steal creatures, then I think Memnarch is an auto include, along with threaten effects in . Ray of Command type cards are great, along with Bribery, Gilded Drake, and the like. If you can run some ways to bounce the Drake (like Capsize), folks will get sick of you real soon. Play the Drake, steal a Commander, Man-o'-War the Drake, steal another Commander, and pretty soon, no one likes you!
Just some options to think about. I'm sure there are better ones out there, too.