Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
For each player, choose whether or not they are a friend or foe. Each friend searches their library for a land card, puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles their library. Each foe sacrifices an artifact or enchantment they control.
Profet93 on Kura, Secret Tron EDH
3 months ago
IllWarriors +1 A couple of questions/comments....
- I saw your description for the purpose of the colorless mana rocks, both creature and noncreature. Thought vessel is to prevent discard, but given all of your land tutors, isn't it very likely that you can find reliquary tower should you need it? Do you need/want the redundancy? Are you trying not to tutor for reliquary given you want the tron lands? Would you not be better served by adding additional dorks at 1 - 2 CMC? Heart Warden is like a mindstone. If you were to reduce your reliance on artifact ramp given you're playing green, you could add in a Bane of Progress should you wish to mess with all of the opposing artifacts you want inevitably find on the table.
- Regarding tempt with discovery, doesn't your meta just wise up and tutor for LD such as strip mine/wasteland each time you get a tron land, effectively netting you only 1 untapped land and 3 cards in the grave? Or are there other utility lands your opponents can find (Nykthos, coffers, urborg, eye of ugin, etc....) that they find more valuable than destroying your tron lands?
- Burnished Heart - Given you're playing green, why not add in a Skyshroud Claim, Pir's Whim, Harmonize or another ramp/draw spell?
- Skullclamp - Given you will be sacrificing your commander a lot, you have a fair amount of dorks, and the boardwipes that will be seen, I feel skullclamp can be beneficial to you. You can also stack the triggers of your commander and clamp (should you know your topdeck).
- Eternal Witness > Regrowth (can be clamped, blocker, etc...)
- Lurking Predators - How has this played for you? Given your wincon is Eldrazi, are you okay with losing the casting benefit of the Eldrazi in favor for their static + triggered abilities?
- Are you looking for cuts?
- Your land count seems a bit low, especially if you have cards that allow you additional land drops. I understand your commander is a tutor, do you often find yourself missing land drops, particularly in the early game?
- No fetchlands for crucible of worlds?
- Scapeshift - Land tutor! While it may not be needed, it can easily help you assemble tron, find cradle as well as..... Field of the Dead (note it triggers upon ETB for all lands), Castle Garenbrig.
Would love to hear your thoughts on each suggestion, let me know if you are interested in cuts. Solid deck!
Profet93 on Azusa, Just Lost...
3 months ago
First and foremost you want to find your land count. Players who prioritize a faster build utilize more mana dorks and a lower avg cmc tend to go as low as 38 or as high as low-mid 40's. For those who like to ramp into bigger spells and sacrifice speed for resiliency and late game, low - high 40's. Some players go 50 and above but I find that not needed. Azusa decks tend to cast their commander and then drop all their lands, run out of gas, top deck, play a big spell, have it removed/countered and just are in topdeck mode. You need to establish a good source of draw, whether it be burst or steady card draw, ideally, both. I will get to that later, if I don't (given I'm writing this late at night, please remind me). Also, please remind to mention utility lands, as Azusa decks have a large amount of wiggle room to utilize a landbase to solve difficult challenges. Depending on how you want to make your deck, fast and explosive or slower and more resilient, I can provide you better suggestions. For now, I'll go with the basics. I can suggest cuts in the next comment should you desire.
Sol Ring - Not needed in Azusa, but Turn 2 Azusa with this, into lands allows you to get the "quick" strategy you are looking for.
Mind's Eye - Draw, some people like Memory jar but I find this cheaper and more suitable, especially for your meta.
Greater Good - Extremely powerful sac outlet to prevent theft/exile, fill up your grave (with lands to recur for later, or whatever is appropriate at the time). Seriously, do not sleep on this or crucible of worlds
Sylvan Library - While double your budget, add this to the maybeboard for later as its very useful. It is synergy with Abundance (can outline the detailed synergy later, but its really good), shuffling effects (think fetchlands to shuffle away cards you don't want on top), as well as Course of Kruphix/Oracle of Muldaya effects. Best Turn 2 Azusa play IMO.
Momentous Fall - Used in response to removal, gain life and most importantly, draw cards.
Realms Uncharted - Works best once you get better utility lands. But it acts as a tutor, usually 4 fetches. That way, you fuel crucible of worlds. Bonus points if you add Petrefied Field.
Beast Within - Green's best removal, add this.
Boundless Realms > Reshape the Earth - Given you don't have enough utility lands, this is much better. Even if you did, reshape is very expensive for what it does, more so in this deck.
Pir's Whim - Politics removal and ramp in 1! Not needed but nice to have
Rishkar's Expertise - Best burst draw spell in green. While they can remove your greatest power creature, since it doesnt target, it goes to the next highest. It also helps mitigate tempo loss which is a big issue most draw spells have. Really powerful!
Regarding creatures, its personal preference. I have suggestions but until I know which direction you're going in, I'd rather wait. I personally love Eldrazi, specifically the Kozilek's as they allow you to refill your hand. Distortion allows you to be the blue player and Butcher allows you to, well, slaughter 4 permanents.
Catpocolypse on The Island Awakened
3 months ago
Profet93 Tempt with Discovery is a card that is specific to my playgroup, as almost every time it is played it nets a minimum of 3 lands. In other playgroups a switch to Pir's Whim or Rishkar's Expertise would probably be a good choice, Tempt with Discovery is a hilarious circumstance between my friends that often ends with at least 1 or 2 other people taking the bait
Profet93 on The Island Awakened
3 months ago
Great discourse and swaps, agreed all around. I don't like Zendikar's roil as 5 cmc is too expensive for 2/2's, albeit continuously. Though, there is synergy so I understand why it was in the list. Truth be told, part of me wants to add it back in simply because of the perceived synergy, despite the actuality that it underperforms in most cases.
Regarding Tempt of Discovery 1) What are your primary targets 2) How often do they take the bait. The primary benefit of Tempt is that it brings your land into play untapped, so tutoring for a cradle or nykthos with Tempt is huge. The only impactful lands are yavimaya hollow and maybe the sac lands. I don't feel tempt of discovery is worth it depending on your answers to #1 and #2. A potential swap for it could be Pir's Whim.
"S̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ P̶r̶i̶s̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ O̶m̶e̶n̶ o̶n̶l̶y̶ a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ l̶a̶n̶d̶s̶ y̶o̶u̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ i̶n̶ p̶l̶a̶y̶" - Is this not correct? Or was your point more focused on the end of your paragraph?
Catpocolypse on The Island Awakened
3 months ago
Perilous Forays: Definitely a card I need to slot in, I'm just wondering what it should be slot in for? There doesn't seem to be an easy answer, I'm wondered what your thoughts on it are.
Concordant Crossroads: Undoubtably a very powerful card, I'm just not sure if haste makes enough of a difference in this deck to justify slotting this in.
Crashing Drawbridge: If I am going to slot in haste, its going to be through Concordant Crossroads
Akroma's Memorial: Definitely an interesting suggestion and a possible card to help close out games. It being removed can be a problem though, and I'm wondering what would be swapped out for it
Null Brooch: Having lands into my graveyard is good, but its very hard to get useful creatures or spell backs from the graveyard and I'm not sure if my entire hand is a good trade for one noncreature spell
Stone-Seeder Hierophant: Definitely synergistic, but it works similar to Lotus Cobra, but slower
Animist's Awakening: A very risky card, its possible to hit almost nothing for a very large mana investment, cutting down on some risks has been a point of upgrading this list.
Kamahl's Druidic Vow: Same reasoning as above, but less likely to miss
Traverse the Outlands: Most of the time, it hits about 5-6, which is a decent 1-1 payoff, but it costs more than cards such as Roiling Regrowth and there are other cards I would rather play with 5 CMC
Boundless Realms: If a game goes long, you will probably have more cards on the field than you can search up with this. It's a powerful card, but it doesn't have the speed that this list runs.
Reshape the Earth: Powerful card, great for finding certain lands like Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth, or Lotus Vale, but it is just too expensive CMC wise.
Pir's Whim: I will find a land card, but not everyone else will have an artifact/enchantment to sacrifice, especially in my pod. Its good, don't get me wrong, but there are more efficient cards imo.
Dryad's Revival: This is simply Timeless Witness, but Witness has a body that cards such as Ashaya, Soul of the Wild can use, or that I can sac to Greater Good, etc
king-saproling on The Island Awakened
3 months ago
Thoughts on these? Perilous Forays, Concordant Crossroads, Crashing Drawbridge, Akroma's Memorial, Null Brooch, Stone-Seeder Hierophant, Animist's Awakening, Kamahl's Druidic Vow, Traverse the Outlands, Boundless Realms, Reshape the Earth, Pir's Whim, Dryad's Revival
ViperishGazelem on Gates, Bill
5 months ago
I'll definitely switch out my commander for Garth One-Eye. Pir's Whim would likely come in handy as well. And Terra Eternal is a solid maybe, mostly depending on if I know there's land destruction coming my way and it would contribute to Sphere of Safety.
TheOfficialCreator on Gates, Bill
6 months ago
Garth One-Eye might be slightly better than Kyodai for the commander, just because it can give you removal, card draw, a chonky flier, or, my personal favorite, recursion from the graveyard. Kyodai is a good one too, just thought I'd offer the suggestion.
Terra Eternal and Pir's Whim are good additions for any Gate deck.
|Have (4)||TheRealSpecialK , BillyBalverine , metalmagic , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
|Want (2)||Jhiaxus , Amaterasu312|