Creature — Phoenix
Flying Tribute 2 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put 2 +1/+1 counter on it.) When Flame-Wreathed Phoenix enters the battlefield, if its tribute wasn't paid, it gains haste and "When this creature dies, return it to its owner's hand."
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix Discussion
11 months ago
Thanks again! Awesome that you take the time out of your day to really give such an insightful comment.
I have been working on the deck after I posted it and even upgraded it a bit between your comment and me posting the deck, two of them are even cards you recommended! Bonders' Enclave and Gruul Signet. I also added Rogue's Passage to maybe sneak an attacker in.
I did actually buy quite a few cards a few days ago that just arrived and some of them are also cards you mentioned :D
I also added these ones, maybe you have some comments about them?
- God-Eternal Rhonas, it looks like it can combo quite well with Xenagos. Have you tried the cards?
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, I always find myself missing Trample so I thought this guy could help tutoring for it.
- Skarrg, the Rage Pits a worse Kessig Wolf Run but also a lot cheaper, and I am mainly after the trample effect (I think).
- Scavenging Ooze wanted a way to deal with peoples graveyard shenanigans.
- Mind Stone ramp! (basically added it because you mentioned it in Norin :P )
- Solemn Simulacrum there are other ramp cards in green but I just think he is a lot of value.
- I also swapped the Sedge Scorpion for a Deadly Recluse because even though I find it nice to have a early thing on the board that can deter people from attacking me before I have some of my guys out I found that a lot of attacks just went over it.
The things I will be cutting is the Scorpion and
- Mistcutter Hydra (I have other sources of can't be countered and it not doing anything else than that feels a bit week),
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir (too slow. Even though I love the prospect of being able to double the equipped creature and then have it applied to every other creather, it simply doesn't happen often enough and it doesn't provide value as soon as it lands because it would cost + mana for it to do so),
- Solidarity of Heroes (I have used it as a combat trick but it is too situational especially as I plan to cut some of the counter/hydra creatures),
- Twinflame (often when I am thinking of casting this I realize I would rather cast one of my creatures or wish it was a creature),
- Brash Taunter (thought it would be fun, but it is as I expected - way to slow), Flame-Wreathed Phoenix (I wanted a flying creature but and really only put this in for sentimental reasons but it just isn't doing anything, it is very unsatisfying to double it especially if it already have haste),
- Peregrination (don't think it's worth the cost, added other/earlier ways to ramp),
- Nissa's Pilgrimage (same reason as the other)
Let me know what you think about the cuts and if I could have made better ones!
Now for your recommendations!
- Lurking Predators Sounds like a great idea, would love to hear what you think should be cut from the deck too.
- The Great Henge Yeah I want a few of these, to go into some decks. Have on my "buy it on a bargain" list. Hopefully I can pick it up soon.
- Decimate and Hull Breach Looks like great cards, I have noticed that I really need to put some enchantment/artifact removal in and these two looks like great picks for it.
- Life's Legacy Very nice card! Will probably pick it up, but when do one have to much draw?
- Nature's Lore I was going to add one of these a while back as I thought i had one laying around but I couldn't find it and forgot to acquire one. Will put it on my list :)
- Rishkar's Expertise Added this one!
- Skyshroud Claim I like this card too, but I always find 4 mana ramp to be a little late. You think it's still pulling it's weight?
Beast Within Great card, will be adding this at one point
Berserk Never been a fan of killing my own creatures, but I guess the added benefit of being able to use it on an enemy is nice. I could also Berserk it and then sac it myself with any of the card draw cards. Will be looking out for one if I can find a really cheap one.
Momentous Fall Nice one! Will pick this one up for sure
Return of the Wildspeaker Will add this one too, bought a few of them already a week back but they are taking their sweet time arriving.
Lands I have already added the Bonder's Enclave and will be adding a Myriad Landscape as I have an extra one. I will also look to acquire the other ones. I am thinking of also adding Reliquary Tower as it's likely I will get more than 7 cards in hand after a sacrifice, Mishra's Factory as it's one of the only good manlands I have (doubt Kher Keep will do much here) I am also thinking of adding a Tectonic Edge to deal with other people's lands.
Most of the dragons you mention was about to go into the deck, but then I bought a Secret Lair and built a dragon deck instead. Will be looking into getting most of the dragons you mention here.
There's so many here, hard to pick and choose which to add! I will start with the ones I know I want in Eternal Witness because there is always something that's worth casting twice, Kogla, the Titan Ape can remove a lot of stuff in one go as I can give it haste too, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar been looking to add this guy since day one! But they have always been so over priced in my local market about 7-8$! I managed to find one yesterday for $5! So hopefully it will find it's way to me tomorrow :) Reclamation Sage need more removal so this on should be a given, Sakura-Tribe Elder need a bit more ramp so I can get it out more reliable so this one a good one. Was going to add a Fierce Empath when I opened 2020, must have forgotten!
I am also looking to add Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and Lifeblood Hydra but they are hard to find in my local market. The other ones I will add to my list and pick them up if I can get them cheap, to at least switch out for some others and see what fits my play style the best!
Would love a Deflecting Swat (in Norin too), but my local market have it quite high, and I think I can find more impactful cards for cheaper. Oh I will definitely upgrade for a Vines of Vastwood and look for a Blossoming Defense, right now my biggest defense against spot removal is Archetype of Endurance but it's so expensive to cast!
There are a lot of cards here that you have mentioned that I have both already added and want to add now that you have brought them to my attention, so I will have to do a lot of cuts and would love to here your thoughts on what should be removed (and if the cuts I already did where good ones) would also love why you think I should remove some cards over others.
Thanks a lot for yet another deep look at my deck! Really appreciate it :)
1 year ago
I think a life-oriented phoenix is the best option, Garza's Assassin is the most similar, but I think red can flavorfully spend life like that, also if a Phoenix costs life to come back, I think it makes sense that it has other life-related abilities:
Creature - Phoenix
, Pay half your life, rounded up: Return Bloodflame Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
I'd like to see another Phoenix, but neither a phoenix lord or a repeated method of return.
- Akoum Firebird - Landfall
- Arclight Phoenix - Storm
- Ashcloud Phoenix - Morph
- Bogardan Phoenix - Counter
- Chandra's Phoenix - Opponent dealt Damage from Instant/Sorcery or Chandra
- Everquill Phoenix - Mutate & Artifact Token
- Firestorm Phoenix - Delayed casting
- Firewing Phoenix - Mana cost
- Flamewake Phoenix - Ferocious
- Flame-Wreathed Phoenix - Tribute (very weak, why is this mythic?)
- Immortal Phoenix - No requirement
- Kuldotha Phoenix - Metalcraft
- Magma Phoenix - Mana cost
- Molten Firebird - Skip draw step
- Phoenix of Ash - Escape
- Rekindling Phoenix - Creature token
- Shard Phoenix - Mana cost with timeing restriction
- Shivan Phoenix - No requirement
- Skarrgan Firebird - Opponent dealt damage
- Skyfire Phoenix - Commander
- Spellpyre Phoenix - Cycling
- Warcry Phoenix - Battalion
- Worldheart Phoenix - cost
3 years ago
Maybe it's a testament to WotC's design process that we can think of relatively few recent mechanics that haven't worked in either Limited or Constructed. And the ones that have failed (Support, Meld), I've noticed that MaRo and R&D are very cognizant of why they didn't work. RIX, for example, was a great set from a mechanics design standpoint. Ascend (while annoying) wasn't too bad, and there were very few other mechanics introduced (we still had Treasure, Raid, Enrage, etc). All of which address some of the issues we've discussed in terms of strong mechanical designs.
Thanks for the fun conversation, everybody! Cheers!
3 years ago
From what you said Ascend works. It's just annoying because it is effective.
As for Tribute, it may give your Opponent choices, but if the choices are both bad for your Opponent, that is a good thing.
There's almost nothing I like better than watching my Opponent agonise over whether or not to pay Tribute to Flame-Wreathed Phoenix.
I also LOVE the flavour that they must physically place Counters on the Creature, to pay Tribute.
Again, though, that's just my take. You may not have ever played against someone like me who can make those mechanics work.
3 years ago
Homura, Human Ascendant slams down for four; and when you sac it to Tooth and Claw, it will give allow your other creatures to pump Warstorm Surge's effect by two. Then a 4/3 Norin the Wary will be blinking out and popping in 3/3 Myrs from Genesis Chamber!
3 years ago
In this scenario, I have a Flame-Wreathed Phoenix in play and tribute was not paid for it, giving it the return to hand ability. Let's say I also have Marchesa, the Black Rose giving it dethrone. I attack the player with the highest life giving it a +1/+1 counter, and it later dies while Marchesa is still in play.
I now have two triggers, one to return the phoenix to my hand from its own ability, and one to return it to the field from Marchesa. Can I stack my triggers in such a way that it returns directly to play rather than my hand, or once it hits the field will it's own ability resolve returning it to my hand anyway?
4 years ago
After taking a look at your deck and some others I changed mine around to mono-red.
The win-con with mine is simple: blow up opponent's land early with a Simian Spirit Guide, Darksteel Citadel, Boom/Bust combo and continue the land oppression going forward by using the plethora of copy spells I have through Dualcaster Mage and Pyromancer's Goggles while simultaneously building a strong board presence with Flame-Wreathed Phoenix and Shivan Wumpus.
on My feet hurt
4 years ago
Honestly, you probably need some kind of power booster for the phoenixes. A lot of them are weak and somewhat mana heavy to bring back. Flamewake Phoenix I would try to put to four because that is the easiest one to continuously recur. I like Chandra's Phoenix because she is also somewhat easy to bring back, especially if you replace Pyroclasm with Earthquake. I'm not so sure I like Skred in here since it can only damage creatures. Maybe just a whole bunch of burn spells in its place? Also, while I have a deep love for Obsidian Fireheart (he is one of my favorite all time arts), he seems pretty out of place here. For that mana, maybe consider Flame-Wreathed Phoenix since you'll either get the return ability or a 5/5 beater.