Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Koth of the Hammer
Planeswalker — Koth
+1: Untap target Mountain. It becomes a 4/4 red Elemelntal creature until end of turn. It's still a land.
-2: for each Mountain you control.
-5: You get an emblem with "Mountains you control have ': This land deals 1 damage to target creature or player.'"
2 months ago
Did some playtesting last night with "regular lantern control" just to get a feel for how the deck...quickly discovered that I am a terrible and incompetent pilot of this deck in its base form... but I got the idea and really got to appreciate wallisfaces decklist that was posted above.
This is how playing "lantern control skred red land destruction" went for me last night...it feels awkward...always lol... with the exception of "bolt the bird" and playing Mind Stone on turn 2 into Lantern of Insight then playing Koth of the Hammer on turn 3 it just always felt bad... I was surprised how often I naturally opened with shredder and lantern though which was neat... Blood Moon, Pillage/Molten Rain... these cards feel like they should be better than they are... but kinda just felt like "win more" or wishing for something else.
All in all sure it can work but I really found myself missing Inquisition of Kozilek more than anything.
2 months ago
I agree completely wallisface.... I think this would be more of a control deck with Lantern of Insight in it rather than a deck dedicated to being a true lantern control deck... but honestly im not sure if the "synergy" is really worth it... it could just end up being really awkward hands/boards with Koth of the Hammer, Mind Stone and....Codex Shredder.... and then just hoping Skred/Galvanic Blast would be enough... ill playtest it and report back here... it seems worth testing out.
on Burn Moon
3 months ago
If you are gonna main deck Blood Moon and not have it as a sideboard option I'd just go all in on a Skred Red control build.
3 months ago
Koth of the Hammer wouldn't mind the permanent victory over the phyrexians
5 months ago
9 months ago
Well, let's break it down like this:
- Functionally no ramp outside of Serra's Sanctum and Smothering Tithe
- Loads of targeted exile removal
- Cantrips draws only, lest a few Commanders like Mangara
- Almost always puts you in one of three very rickety boats: White weenies, Angels, prisons & Stax
- Lots of ramp. Runaway Steam-Kin, Koth of the Hammer, Dockside Extortionist, Mana Geyser and Battle Hymn, to name a few
- Burn is basically their removal, but it's so easy to deal lethal amounts of damage that this works just fine. Plus artifact and land destruction so you can grind games to a screeching halt
- Yes, red draw is flimsy. But it's still draw, and there's a lot more of it than white. While it may act essentially the same as a cantrips (replace card in hand with card from deck), it also allows more utility when you can pick and choose between the top two or three. As for impulse, cards such as Outpost Siege and Furious Rise may not feel like card advantage, but it's an additional card you get to cast that turn. The first time you impulse, you replaced the enchantment (e.g. cantrip), but the second time is straight value
- Loads of ways to win, mostly through damage, but everything white can do, red can also do. Drop a Mudslide and watch the game crash to a sudden stop. It's amazing.
Red is not the best mono color, but is superior to white in every way, with the exception of maybe instant speed 1mv removal. But red is so aggressive that you take the hit and fire back full force anyway
White has it's benefits. The issue is white is best at propping other colors up. On its own, it has nothing to prop up and thus falls apart.
9 months ago
The original Koth of the Hammer referenced "Mountain" in all three of its abilities. It's weird to see a Koth planeswalker who doesn't mention Mountains at all.