Creature — Spider
Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
Deathtouch (Any amount of damage this deals to a creature is enough to destroy it.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Deadly Recluse occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Deadly Recluse Discussion
1 week ago
OK this is a pretty cool concept, but very costly if it flops. I guess in your play-testing, how quickly did you get to the Tree popping? Maybe something like Mana Reflection could help, I dunno.
Some of those Gods seem pretty bad... I wonder if subbing them out for mana dorks would leave you be better off. I guess you need certain colors to meet devotion requirements, but Mogis, God of Slaughter seems like he should definitely be in there. Big body, indestructible, affordable (both mana and $$$), great trigger. I think the Phenax + Purphoros (plus random Gods) will be your most often win condition, just dump a bunch of Gods and mill someone down. If you have Prophet out, its almost a guaranteed win.
Mirridon's Core seems like a cheap substitute for a better land... Heck you could almost just replace it with Evolving Wilds , but w/e you think works better.
As for weaknesses, Land Destruct obviously is a problem for a deck like this. And then you'd have to watch out for Rick's Exile All Creatures BS, but I think those are both just random match-up issues.
With all that said, I'd have to think about what you could use for early game protection. Maybe some of those 0/4 walls (there a white and a green one) that lets you draw a card on etb. It serves as a blocker, survives a lighting bolt, provides card draw, and gives a mill 4 with Phenax out. There's always the Deadly Recluse , it stops a lot of early game stuff, and you're very light on removal in this deck... Other than the 3 counter-spells, you got nothing until your Gods show up to block things. Or what might work for you are Fertilid - 3 mana, 2/2 creature that you can fetch lands with (or help your partner if they are land hosed).
The mana dork + cultivate is a good combo, but you only have 1 cultivate, so is probably not worth it, and you don't wanna be Rick for 4 turns. Plus with that you'd want to run more green than what you have.
Lastly, That Hullbreacher is hella expensive $$$ wise, is it really worth what it does?
2 months ago
As a lower curve, I would take out Blightwidow as you are not intending to win with poison counters and creatures with infect can only do damage in the form of poison counters. You could add in Sporeweb Weaver. I might also consider cutting Juvenile Gloomwidow and add Snarespinner as it is much more likely to outright kill flyer than to just die and give it a -1/-1 counter. I would also cut Kessig Recluse as you are trying to win mostly by using Assault Formation (I assume) and you already have Deadly Recluse and Basilisk Collar for the deathtouch protection. In its place Chainweb Aracnir and you will have a much more aggressive curve to swarm your opponent with and cast Arachnogenesis. You will probably need to add some card draw as well so that you don't run out of fuel. Harmonize or Lead the Stampede in place of Accorder's Shield will make it better. The reason I chose Accorder's Shield is because to bring it out and equip it the same turn will cost and so will bringing out and equipping Slagwurm Armor, but Slagwurm Armor gives more of a buff. The minor upside to Accorder's Shield is that you can drop all of your mana on a spider and then cast Accorder's Shield same turn.
8 months ago
Thanks again! Awesome that you take the time out of your day to really give such an insightful comment.
I have been working on the deck after I posted it and even upgraded it a bit between your comment and me posting the deck, two of them are even cards you recommended! Bonders' Enclave and Gruul Signet. I also added Rogue's Passage to maybe sneak an attacker in.
I did actually buy quite a few cards a few days ago that just arrived and some of them are also cards you mentioned :D
I also added these ones, maybe you have some comments about them?
- God-Eternal Rhonas, it looks like it can combo quite well with Xenagos. Have you tried the cards?
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, I always find myself missing Trample so I thought this guy could help tutoring for it.
- Skarrg, the Rage Pits a worse Kessig Wolf Run but also a lot cheaper, and I am mainly after the trample effect (I think).
- Scavenging Ooze wanted a way to deal with peoples graveyard shenanigans.
- Mind Stone ramp! (basically added it because you mentioned it in Norin :P )
- Solemn Simulacrum there are other ramp cards in green but I just think he is a lot of value.
- I also swapped the Sedge Scorpion for a Deadly Recluse because even though I find it nice to have a early thing on the board that can deter people from attacking me before I have some of my guys out I found that a lot of attacks just went over it.
The things I will be cutting is the Scorpion and
- Mistcutter Hydra (I have other sources of can't be countered and it not doing anything else than that feels a bit week),
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir (too slow. Even though I love the prospect of being able to double the equipped creature and then have it applied to every other creather, it simply doesn't happen often enough and it doesn't provide value as soon as it lands because it would cost + mana for it to do so),
- Solidarity of Heroes (I have used it as a combat trick but it is too situational especially as I plan to cut some of the counter/hydra creatures),
- Twinflame (often when I am thinking of casting this I realize I would rather cast one of my creatures or wish it was a creature),
- Brash Taunter (thought it would be fun, but it is as I expected - way to slow), Flame-Wreathed Phoenix (I wanted a flying creature but and really only put this in for sentimental reasons but it just isn't doing anything, it is very unsatisfying to double it especially if it already have haste),
- Peregrination (don't think it's worth the cost, added other/earlier ways to ramp),
- Nissa's Pilgrimage (same reason as the other)
Let me know what you think about the cuts and if I could have made better ones!
Now for your recommendations!
- Lurking Predators Sounds like a great idea, would love to hear what you think should be cut from the deck too.
- The Great Henge Yeah I want a few of these, to go into some decks. Have on my "buy it on a bargain" list. Hopefully I can pick it up soon.
- Decimate and Hull Breach Looks like great cards, I have noticed that I really need to put some enchantment/artifact removal in and these two looks like great picks for it.
- Life's Legacy Very nice card! Will probably pick it up, but when do one have to much draw?
- Nature's Lore I was going to add one of these a while back as I thought i had one laying around but I couldn't find it and forgot to acquire one. Will put it on my list :)
- Rishkar's Expertise Added this one!
- Skyshroud Claim I like this card too, but I always find 4 mana ramp to be a little late. You think it's still pulling it's weight?
Beast Within Great card, will be adding this at one point
Berserk Never been a fan of killing my own creatures, but I guess the added benefit of being able to use it on an enemy is nice. I could also Berserk it and then sac it myself with any of the card draw cards. Will be looking out for one if I can find a really cheap one.
Momentous Fall Nice one! Will pick this one up for sure
Return of the Wildspeaker Will add this one too, bought a few of them already a week back but they are taking their sweet time arriving.
Lands I have already added the Bonder's Enclave and will be adding a Myriad Landscape as I have an extra one. I will also look to acquire the other ones. I am thinking of also adding Reliquary Tower as it's likely I will get more than 7 cards in hand after a sacrifice, Mishra's Factory as it's one of the only good manlands I have (doubt Kher Keep will do much here) I am also thinking of adding a Tectonic Edge to deal with other people's lands.
Most of the dragons you mention was about to go into the deck, but then I bought a Secret Lair and built a dragon deck instead. Will be looking into getting most of the dragons you mention here.
There's so many here, hard to pick and choose which to add! I will start with the ones I know I want in Eternal Witness because there is always something that's worth casting twice, Kogla, the Titan Ape can remove a lot of stuff in one go as I can give it haste too, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar been looking to add this guy since day one! But they have always been so over priced in my local market about 7-8$! I managed to find one yesterday for $5! So hopefully it will find it's way to me tomorrow :) Reclamation Sage need more removal so this on should be a given, Sakura-Tribe Elder need a bit more ramp so I can get it out more reliable so this one a good one. Was going to add a Fierce Empath when I opened 2020, must have forgotten!
I am also looking to add Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and Lifeblood Hydra but they are hard to find in my local market. The other ones I will add to my list and pick them up if I can get them cheap, to at least switch out for some others and see what fits my play style the best!
Would love a Deflecting Swat (in Norin too), but my local market have it quite high, and I think I can find more impactful cards for cheaper. Oh I will definitely upgrade for a Vines of Vastwood and look for a Blossoming Defense, right now my biggest defense against spot removal is Archetype of Endurance but it's so expensive to cast!
There are a lot of cards here that you have mentioned that I have both already added and want to add now that you have brought them to my attention, so I will have to do a lot of cuts and would love to here your thoughts on what should be removed (and if the cuts I already did where good ones) would also love why you think I should remove some cards over others.
Thanks a lot for yet another deep look at my deck! Really appreciate it :)
1 year ago
I would start with:
- Gargos, Vicious Watcher - Fights Creatures and also boosts Hydras
- Ulvenwald Tracker - Instigator
- Vivien, Arkbow Ranger - Fight Planeswalker
- Vivien, Champion of the Wilds - Grants Reach, Vigilance, and Flash
- Vivien Reid - Fishes for Creatures and Destroys flyers
You can also add a little more draw power in the form of Inspiring Call . Hope this helps.
1 year ago
Cut this down to 60 total spells. You can move some of those cut cards into your sideboard.
Add at least 2 more lands, if not 4-6. The higher your AVG CMC, the more lands you'll need. Regarding lands, I know they're expensive - but the better the lands, the better the deck will run. If you're not already aware, All the lands in a sorted list is an amazing resource. A couple utility lands to consider: Ghost Quarter / Field of Ruin , Scavenger Grounds .
Swap out Druid of the Cowl for Elvish Mystic / Joraga Treespeaker . Fertile Ground / Utopia Sprawl would fit, too. Arbor Elf might be ok, but you'd have to mind your Forests. Like with land, the higher the AVG CMC, the more ramp you want. 12 ramp spells wouldn't be too many.
I'm not so sold on Goldenglow Moth, even though I am a fan. I think you'll get as much or more mileage out of good old fashioned Fog / Holy Day or even Order of the Stars . If it's lifegain you're after, Rest for the Weary . If you're trying to deal with flying creatures, then Deadly Recluse , or sideboard Plummet , or even Lingering Souls .