Creature — Hydra
Mistcutter Hydra can't be countered
Haste, Protection from blue
Mistcutter Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
|Want (2)||BurnedCassin , RuheZone|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Mistcutter Hydra Discussion
1 month ago
Thanks again! Awesome that you take the time out of your day to really give such an insightful comment.
I have been working on the deck after I posted it and even upgraded it a bit between your comment and me posting the deck, two of them are even cards you recommended! Bonders' Enclave and Gruul Signet. I also added Rogue's Passage to maybe sneak an attacker in.
I did actually buy quite a few cards a few days ago that just arrived and some of them are also cards you mentioned :D
I also added these ones, maybe you have some comments about them?
- God-Eternal Rhonas, it looks like it can combo quite well with Xenagos. Have you tried the cards?
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, I always find myself missing Trample so I thought this guy could help tutoring for it.
- Skarrg, the Rage Pits a worse Kessig Wolf Run but also a lot cheaper, and I am mainly after the trample effect (I think).
- Scavenging Ooze wanted a way to deal with peoples graveyard shenanigans.
- Mind Stone ramp! (basically added it because you mentioned it in Norin :P )
- Solemn Simulacrum there are other ramp cards in green but I just think he is a lot of value.
- I also swapped the Sedge Scorpion for a Deadly Recluse because even though I find it nice to have a early thing on the board that can deter people from attacking me before I have some of my guys out I found that a lot of attacks just went over it.
The things I will be cutting is the Scorpion and
- Mistcutter Hydra (I have other sources of can't be countered and it not doing anything else than that feels a bit week),
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir (too slow. Even though I love the prospect of being able to double the equipped creature and then have it applied to every other creather, it simply doesn't happen often enough and it doesn't provide value as soon as it lands because it would cost + mana for it to do so),
- Solidarity of Heroes (I have used it as a combat trick but it is too situational especially as I plan to cut some of the counter/hydra creatures),
- Twinflame (often when I am thinking of casting this I realize I would rather cast one of my creatures or wish it was a creature),
- Brash Taunter (thought it would be fun, but it is as I expected - way to slow), Flame-Wreathed Phoenix (I wanted a flying creature but and really only put this in for sentimental reasons but it just isn't doing anything, it is very unsatisfying to double it especially if it already have haste),
- Peregrination (don't think it's worth the cost, added other/earlier ways to ramp),
- Nissa's Pilgrimage (same reason as the other)
Let me know what you think about the cuts and if I could have made better ones!
Now for your recommendations!
- Lurking Predators Sounds like a great idea, would love to hear what you think should be cut from the deck too.
- The Great Henge Yeah I want a few of these, to go into some decks. Have on my "buy it on a bargain" list. Hopefully I can pick it up soon.
- Decimate and Hull Breach Looks like great cards, I have noticed that I really need to put some enchantment/artifact removal in and these two looks like great picks for it.
- Life's Legacy Very nice card! Will probably pick it up, but when do one have to much draw?
- Nature's Lore I was going to add one of these a while back as I thought i had one laying around but I couldn't find it and forgot to acquire one. Will put it on my list :)
- Rishkar's Expertise Added this one!
- Skyshroud Claim I like this card too, but I always find 4 mana ramp to be a little late. You think it's still pulling it's weight?
Beast Within Great card, will be adding this at one point
Berserk Never been a fan of killing my own creatures, but I guess the added benefit of being able to use it on an enemy is nice. I could also Berserk it and then sac it myself with any of the card draw cards. Will be looking out for one if I can find a really cheap one.
Momentous Fall Nice one! Will pick this one up for sure
Return of the Wildspeaker Will add this one too, bought a few of them already a week back but they are taking their sweet time arriving.
Lands I have already added the Bonder's Enclave and will be adding a Myriad Landscape as I have an extra one. I will also look to acquire the other ones. I am thinking of also adding Reliquary Tower as it's likely I will get more than 7 cards in hand after a sacrifice, Mishra's Factory as it's one of the only good manlands I have (doubt Kher Keep will do much here) I am also thinking of adding a Tectonic Edge to deal with other people's lands.
Most of the dragons you mention was about to go into the deck, but then I bought a Secret Lair and built a dragon deck instead. Will be looking into getting most of the dragons you mention here.
There's so many here, hard to pick and choose which to add! I will start with the ones I know I want in Eternal Witness because there is always something that's worth casting twice, Kogla, the Titan Ape can remove a lot of stuff in one go as I can give it haste too, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar been looking to add this guy since day one! But they have always been so over priced in my local market about 7-8$! I managed to find one yesterday for $5! So hopefully it will find it's way to me tomorrow :) Reclamation Sage need more removal so this on should be a given, Sakura-Tribe Elder need a bit more ramp so I can get it out more reliable so this one a good one. Was going to add a Fierce Empath when I opened 2020, must have forgotten!
I am also looking to add Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and Lifeblood Hydra but they are hard to find in my local market. The other ones I will add to my list and pick them up if I can get them cheap, to at least switch out for some others and see what fits my play style the best!
Would love a Deflecting Swat (in Norin too), but my local market have it quite high, and I think I can find more impactful cards for cheaper. Oh I will definitely upgrade for a Vines of Vastwood and look for a Blossoming Defense, right now my biggest defense against spot removal is Archetype of Endurance but it's so expensive to cast!
There are a lot of cards here that you have mentioned that I have both already added and want to add now that you have brought them to my attention, so I will have to do a lot of cuts and would love to here your thoughts on what should be removed (and if the cuts I already did where good ones) would also love why you think I should remove some cards over others.
Thanks a lot for yet another deep look at my deck! Really appreciate it :)
1 month ago
what about Sword of the Paruns for a double up on infinite mana?
Personally I wouldn't splash blue in the deck. You want devotion and blue can't give you anything green can't in this case. A Rogue's Passage is a better Aether Tunnel - Helix Pinnacle isn't that much worse than Laboratory Maniac
I would also throw in as many x spells as possible. I'm willing to bet that in this deck - steelbane hydra is going to be better than Nature's Claim if you have the budget for a Mistcutter Hydra I'd replace Fireshrieker and Declare Dominance with them as finishers.
1 month ago
- Alright so the hardest thing in these decks is the ramp to pay off ratio. You want a lot of 1 mana accelerates. I recommend arbor elf and utopia sprawl its low cmc and ramps well. It even goes infinate with Freed from the Real.
- cut: Nature's Will Rhythm of the Wild Warstorm Surge you dont need them. probably put in the other enchantments i talked about.
- Lets aim for 8 ramp creatures like Arbor Elf Llanowar Elves and Elvish Mystic. Probably combed with the enchantment. Sakura-Tribe Elder is also good. Dont count on it deck thinning as its not really that helpful mathematically speaking. Id cut your artifacts you don't need them. In terms of pay off i recommend as many Hydroid Krasis as you can afford.
- Carnage Tyrant is a good hit. So is Mistcutter Hydra espically with the combo i talked about.
- Thats a fair amount to work with right now. Ill provide more once we see how the deck changes.
- Rememeber you can have up to 4 copies of a card.
2 months ago
Thanks so much for the feedback! I really like the idea of playing Portcullis Vine because getting a turn 1 defender would be nice. The 8 tappable defenders is a good amount from testing so I think I might replace Gatecreeper Vine with Portcullis Vine and see how that goes.
From testing it out my friend group is pretty evenly matched, which keeps it fun! (though I am an early game target)
I did run the 2 Gargos, Vicious Watcher and it was a really strong addition. I am considering 1 or 2 more.
I swapped out 1 Prey Upon for a Tower Defense to hold up against a MAJOR flying weakeness. Would you recommend another card over that? I may sideboard a Whiptongue Hydra or two. I also really like the idea of Squall Line since it gives even more reason to play Unbound Flourishing. (So expensive!!)
Lastly, Feed the Clan is very tempting. Maybe run 1?
I'd love more suggestions based on these ideas/edits!
2 months ago
As far as first decks go, this is really solid. Defenders and hydras have a lot of synergy and mono colour keeps the mana simple.
There are a few options to play with- remembering that power gaming with a casual playgroup is usually a mistake. Aim to be fun for everyone.
There are a few infinite combos with mana+untap in defender, but it's usually not too fun.
In general terms, when you onlu have one deck try for card variety with a consistent core -12 to 16 4 ofs that do one thing and make the deck reliable (defender ramp) and some varied payoffs to keep it interesting. I like Mistcutter Hydra for haste, Squall Line to tie games and Uncage the Menagerie to fetch those low cmc hydras or backup ramp.
3 months ago
Mistcutter Hydra is great against blue and if they don't play blue it still has haste.
4 months ago
Many suggestions depend on how crazy you want to go with your mana base but assuming you are building in Jund colors, here I go...
Setessan Champion is the best card draw if you go enchantment heavy.
Also, I would suggest maybe adding some ramp cards because on turn 2 you will only be able to play two 1 cmc cards and on turn four you would likely only play a 1 cmc card and a 3 cmc card. Abundant Growth is good mana fixing and Arboreal Grazer is solid ramp.
If you feel up to cutting red and putting in white, there are better synergies around enchantments in white.
5 months ago
They are as well as.
As I explained, you need other sources that can put counters on themselves, as your whole deck relies on that.
I have played many games where no creature has a counter on it.
The other suggestions are for you to playtest with, to determine what will make your deck work the best.
That's what builders need to do.