Combos Browse all Suggest
- Marchesa, the Black Rose + Thalakos Deceiver
- Fleshbag Marauder + Marchesa, the Black Rose + Unspeakable Symbol
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
- Question about Control and losing the game.
- With Marchesa, the Black Rose work with creature tokens?
- If a player board wipes while Marchesa is in play, can you still return creatures to the battlefield?
- Marchesa, the Black Rose and Undying
- How does Living Death work with Zombie Mikaeus and Marchesa?
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
Dethrone *(Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.) *
Other creatures you control have dethrone.
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, return that card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step. (Dying is being put into the graveyard from the battlefield. Tokens cease to exist when they are put in the graveyard.)
Recommendations View more recommendations
4 days ago
Sideboarded Echo Mage since my total sorceries and instants is only 12 anyway.
3 weeks ago
Hi, so I have Marchesa, the Black Rose in play and a Dragon Blood. I cast Grief for the evoke cost, can I pay 3 mana and use the dragon blood to give Grief a +1/+1 counter meaning when he gets sacrificed to the evoke ability he will come back on the battlefield, from Marchesa's ability? Or is there no point in time by which I can add the counter?
1 month ago
With the way Hell's Thunder's ability is written, it does trigger at the beginning of every end step, including your opponents' end steps.
To be clear about how Hell's Thunder and Marchesa, the Black Rose interact:
- Marchesa's last ability is a triggered ability with another delayed triggered ability inside of it. The main ability triggers "whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it dies", and it sets up a delayed triggered ability that triggers "at the beginning of the next end step"
- If the main ability doesn't trigger, then the delayed trigger doesn't get set up
- If Hell's Thunder dies before the beginning of the end step of the current turn and has a +1/+1 counter, Marchesa will set up the delayed trigger to return it at the beginning of this turn's end step. HT's own ability won't trigger this turn because it wasn't on the battlefield yet when the end step began. The next time will be the beginning of the next turn's end step
- If HT is sacrificed to its own triggered ability and has a +1/+1 counter, Marchesa will set up the delayed trigger to return it at the beginning of the next turn's end step, because the beginning of this turn's end step has already passed (it's what caused HT's ability to trigger). When HT is brought back this way, it's own ability won't trigger on that turn for the same reason noted above
1 month ago
I'm looking at making a commander deck using Marchesa, the Black Rose as my commander. Marchesa gives every other creature I control Dethrone: Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Plus she has the secondary ability: Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, return that card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
Not certain there are other creatures with the same/similar mechanic but Hell's Thunder has: At the beginning of the end step sacrifice Hell's Thunder. Now I understand that once you attacked with Hell's Thunder it gains a +1/+1 counter because of Marchesa. Then at the beginning of the end step you can choose the order of the triggers. Normally you would sacrifice Hell's Thunder and then Marchesa would trigger and bring it back.
Since Hell's Thunder doesn't specify that you need to sacrifice it after casting would I need to sacrifice it again in the next end step, aka the other player's turn, or would this happen in the end step of my next turn (after I am able to use the dethrone ability again).
Thank you in advance!
2 months ago
Legendary Creature - Noble Human Assassin
When Empress Marchesa enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
Creatures you control have dethrone.
Whenever Empress Marchesa deals combat damage to an opponent, if you or they are the monarch, they reveal their hand to you. You may cast a spell from it without paying it's mana cost.
I'd like to believe that Golos was a Planeswalker. Like Karn, he would have been able to survive the blind eternities. But this poses an interesting design element.
Keeping his casting cost as true colorless, make a 5 color Golos, Tireless Pilgrim Planeswalker.
4 months ago
4 months ago
Cards like Aggressive Mammoth and Marchesa, the Black Rose have always bothered me with the way their text is formatted. Would there any differences if either of these cards instead read “All creatures you control have trample/dethrone”?
If so, what? Thanks!
5 months ago
I personally recommend picking a commander that is versatile and can be built in several different ways, can upgrade from budgetish to competitive over its lifetime, and always gets new toys to play with.
Animar, Soul of Elements is a good example of a deck that has limitless possibilities of cards (although always extremely creature heavy) to run and can slowly be upgraded (top tier Animar lists are expensive though).
Marchesa, the Black Rose can be tribal (usually wizards or zombies), etb/death trigger abuse, permanent creature theft, aggro, or a combination of a few of these. It's easy to swap out 10-15 cards and you're playing a different deck. She can be pretty competitive if there's not a whole lot of combo in your meta and can be built on any budget.