Creature — Scorpion
Deathtouch (Any amount of damage this deals to a creature is enough to destroy it.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sedge Scorpion occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Sedge Scorpion Discussion
2 weeks ago
It almost looks like you want to play some Battlecruiser magic! Battlecruiser is a strategy where your first half of the game is spent ramping and playing tight threat removal. Cards like Plaguecrafter , Mire in Misery , and Tribute to the Wild , or even Sedge Scorpion or Foulmire Knight play into this strategy super well... as long as you're ramping, too.
The second half of a Battlecruiser strategy is preparing for an alpha strike: that means waiting until the moment is right to play Muldrotha and not allowing her to be killed or countered before you're ready (she's expensive enough that you can ramp past her cmc and wait it out). You've got a couple effective synergies that become insanely powerful if you can do them the same turn you drop your commander, which is totally possible with cards like Daring Apprentice . Preparing for that alpha strike becomes a game of setup: you gotta be ramping, self-milling, getting those combo pieces into your graveyard while taking out the most dangerous threats. It's fun if you do it right! Just ramp ramp ramp!
3 months ago
702.2b A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action.
701.12a A spell or ability may instruct a creature to fight another creature or it may instruct two creatures to fight each other. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to the other creature.
Deathtouch will cause any damage inflicted by its source to be lethal to creatures. Fight causes the creatures to damage one another, making each creature the source of the damage dealt to the other.
In the example you listed, a 3/4 fighting a 2/3 Deathtouch, both will die. Regardless of when the fight occurs.
7 months ago
Scattershot Archer (especially if you have ways to give it deathtouch)
Traproot Kami in mono-green
Soulmender in any build that has "Whenever you gain life" triggers
Skyblinder Staff in flying heavy decks
Runed Stalactite in tribal builds to protect utility creatures
And I didn't forget black, I just don't play it so I don't have anything to add for that color.
8 months ago
Thanks again! Awesome that you take the time out of your day to really give such an insightful comment.
I have been working on the deck after I posted it and even upgraded it a bit between your comment and me posting the deck, two of them are even cards you recommended! Bonders' Enclave and Gruul Signet. I also added Rogue's Passage to maybe sneak an attacker in.
I did actually buy quite a few cards a few days ago that just arrived and some of them are also cards you mentioned :D
I also added these ones, maybe you have some comments about them?
- God-Eternal Rhonas, it looks like it can combo quite well with Xenagos. Have you tried the cards?
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, I always find myself missing Trample so I thought this guy could help tutoring for it.
- Skarrg, the Rage Pits a worse Kessig Wolf Run but also a lot cheaper, and I am mainly after the trample effect (I think).
- Scavenging Ooze wanted a way to deal with peoples graveyard shenanigans.
- Mind Stone ramp! (basically added it because you mentioned it in Norin :P )
- Solemn Simulacrum there are other ramp cards in green but I just think he is a lot of value.
- I also swapped the Sedge Scorpion for a Deadly Recluse because even though I find it nice to have a early thing on the board that can deter people from attacking me before I have some of my guys out I found that a lot of attacks just went over it.
The things I will be cutting is the Scorpion and
- Mistcutter Hydra (I have other sources of can't be countered and it not doing anything else than that feels a bit week),
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir (too slow. Even though I love the prospect of being able to double the equipped creature and then have it applied to every other creather, it simply doesn't happen often enough and it doesn't provide value as soon as it lands because it would cost + mana for it to do so),
- Solidarity of Heroes (I have used it as a combat trick but it is too situational especially as I plan to cut some of the counter/hydra creatures),
- Twinflame (often when I am thinking of casting this I realize I would rather cast one of my creatures or wish it was a creature),
- Brash Taunter (thought it would be fun, but it is as I expected - way to slow), Flame-Wreathed Phoenix (I wanted a flying creature but and really only put this in for sentimental reasons but it just isn't doing anything, it is very unsatisfying to double it especially if it already have haste),
- Peregrination (don't think it's worth the cost, added other/earlier ways to ramp),
- Nissa's Pilgrimage (same reason as the other)
Let me know what you think about the cuts and if I could have made better ones!
Now for your recommendations!
- Lurking Predators Sounds like a great idea, would love to hear what you think should be cut from the deck too.
- The Great Henge Yeah I want a few of these, to go into some decks. Have on my "buy it on a bargain" list. Hopefully I can pick it up soon.
- Decimate and Hull Breach Looks like great cards, I have noticed that I really need to put some enchantment/artifact removal in and these two looks like great picks for it.
- Life's Legacy Very nice card! Will probably pick it up, but when do one have to much draw?
- Nature's Lore I was going to add one of these a while back as I thought i had one laying around but I couldn't find it and forgot to acquire one. Will put it on my list :)
- Rishkar's Expertise Added this one!
- Skyshroud Claim I like this card too, but I always find 4 mana ramp to be a little late. You think it's still pulling it's weight?
Beast Within Great card, will be adding this at one point
Berserk Never been a fan of killing my own creatures, but I guess the added benefit of being able to use it on an enemy is nice. I could also Berserk it and then sac it myself with any of the card draw cards. Will be looking out for one if I can find a really cheap one.
Momentous Fall Nice one! Will pick this one up for sure
Return of the Wildspeaker Will add this one too, bought a few of them already a week back but they are taking their sweet time arriving.
Lands I have already added the Bonder's Enclave and will be adding a Myriad Landscape as I have an extra one. I will also look to acquire the other ones. I am thinking of also adding Reliquary Tower as it's likely I will get more than 7 cards in hand after a sacrifice, Mishra's Factory as it's one of the only good manlands I have (doubt Kher Keep will do much here) I am also thinking of adding a Tectonic Edge to deal with other people's lands.
Most of the dragons you mention was about to go into the deck, but then I bought a Secret Lair and built a dragon deck instead. Will be looking into getting most of the dragons you mention here.
There's so many here, hard to pick and choose which to add! I will start with the ones I know I want in Eternal Witness because there is always something that's worth casting twice, Kogla, the Titan Ape can remove a lot of stuff in one go as I can give it haste too, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar been looking to add this guy since day one! But they have always been so over priced in my local market about 7-8$! I managed to find one yesterday for $5! So hopefully it will find it's way to me tomorrow :) Reclamation Sage need more removal so this on should be a given, Sakura-Tribe Elder need a bit more ramp so I can get it out more reliable so this one a good one. Was going to add a Fierce Empath when I opened 2020, must have forgotten!
I am also looking to add Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and Lifeblood Hydra but they are hard to find in my local market. The other ones I will add to my list and pick them up if I can get them cheap, to at least switch out for some others and see what fits my play style the best!
Would love a Deflecting Swat (in Norin too), but my local market have it quite high, and I think I can find more impactful cards for cheaper. Oh I will definitely upgrade for a Vines of Vastwood and look for a Blossoming Defense, right now my biggest defense against spot removal is Archetype of Endurance but it's so expensive to cast!
There are a lot of cards here that you have mentioned that I have both already added and want to add now that you have brought them to my attention, so I will have to do a lot of cuts and would love to here your thoughts on what should be removed (and if the cuts I already did where good ones) would also love why you think I should remove some cards over others.
Thanks a lot for yet another deep look at my deck! Really appreciate it :)
1 year ago
I also think you need to add in more lands if you're going to run so many high mana-cost cards. You've only got one 1-mana creature and two 2-mana creatures. A creature with mana cost of 3+ isn't going to give you any advantages early-on, and you have very few available targets for any enchantment.
Take for example, Lure. It's a fantastic card to combo with Deathtouch, but unless you have cheap creature options for it, it's going to be at least turn 4 or 5 before you can do anything with it (giving opponents way too much time to destroy it or the creature).
I'd look at low-mana Deathtouch creatures and maybe work with the Lure mechanic by adding in a couple more copies. That should be a 4x w/o a doubt.
1 year ago
1 year ago
I personally think Guardian Project is a great addition for every Commander-Deck with green in it. Not that cheap but awesome!
Low CMC deathtoucher like Foulmire Knight , Hired Poisoner , Sedge Scorpion and Vampire of the Dire Moon are a nice threat agains big stuff of your opponents and are cheap creatures to get into the graveyard for undergrowth.
1 year ago
I would think that Vampire of the Dire Moon should be standard in a deck like this. I like the inclusion of Evolution Sage and Vraska, Swarm's Eminence backed up by Stony Strength , Courage in Crisis and New Horizons (at 3 copies of each) allowing your death-touch creatures to feed off Evolution Sage and grow in power. 2 each of Murder and Assassin's Trophy provides back-up creature removal. Everything else should be lands or death-touch creatures, but I would look to focus more on 1- and 2-drop creatures (maybe including Sedge Scorpion ). Among all your 3-drop creatures, only Leyline Prowler and maybe Ochran Assassin offer value for mana. Izoni, Thousand-Eyed is just so expensive to cast that it will seldom work in this deck.