|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Uncommon|
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Rare|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human
When Sengir Autocrat enters the battlefield, put three 0/1 black Serf creature tokens into play.
When Sengir Autocrat leaves the battlefield, remove all Serf tokens from the game.
Sengir Autocrat Discussion
2 weeks ago
I think it's worth pointing out that you need 2 creatures with undying on the board at the same time with at least 1 of them not having a +1/+1 counter on it for this combo to work (or, as you said, 1 Undying creature with Nest of Scarabs). Just worth explaining the combo somewhere in your primer so people understand how the combo works, imo.
Beyond that, I don't see many definitive wincons once you draw your whole deck. A Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat makes the most sense as you have a sacrifice loop, but it's complicated by the fact you must draw a card with Yawgmoth's ability so you're limited by the size of your library. Some kind of a discard outlet to allow you to keep discarding Kozilek to shuffle the yard into your library would allow this to be a definitive loop. If this was why you included Awaken the Erstwhile , note that this will not work as the trigger to shuffle your graveyard resolves before Awaken the Erstwhile finishes resolving (I would suggest getting rid of this unless there's an interaction I'm missing). Some discard outlets I would recommend:
- Sadistic Hypnotist - Though limited to sorcery speed and needing a creature to sacrifice, you're bound to have small creatures and tokens to sacrifice and this can be used equally well against opponents while you're grinding out the game.
- Putrid Imp - One of the cheapest repeatable discard outlets you can find. Probably my top pick.
- Olivia's Dragoon - More expensive than the Imp, but still repeatable at instant speed.
Though I know you're not including it for budget reasons, Lion's Eye Diamond is quite possibly the best discard outlet you can run as it also allows you to create infinite mana through this loop allowing for a huge Exsanguinate or Torment of Hailfire (which, by the way, I would also suggest adding somehwere). I'm not expecting you to add LED, just felt I should mention it for others hoping to make a spin on this!
If you want to push this into being more cEDH, I would swap out some of your mediocre cards (e.g. Weaponcraft Enthusiast , Sengir Autocrat , Big Game Hunter , Awaken the Erstwhile ) for some of the following:
- Any of the discard outlets I talked about above.
- More instant speed removal (e.g. Snuff Out , Devour in Shadow , Go for the Throat , Smother ) since that is pretty much the extent of your interaction in mono Black and you'll probably need it against faster decks.
- Entomb and Buried Alive with your existing reanimation package (plus maybe Animate Dead ) to be able to cheat creatures like Mikaeus, the Unhallowed onto the board.
- More fast mana (i.e. Chrome Mox , maybe Mana Vault , Mana Crypt if you disregard budget).
I like the idea for this, though, and hope you enjoy the deck!
2 weeks ago
take out Astral Cornucopia , Butcher Ghoul , Sign in Blood , Sightless Ghoul , Sengir Autocrat , Grim Haruspex , Animate Dead , and Orzhov Enforcer , you have a lot of card drawing already, and more bringing back things from the grave in masses rather than 1 by 1 put in Living Death , Key to the City , Agent of Erebos , Lord of the Void , Yahenni, Undying Partisan , Gonti, Lord of Luxury , Dictate of Erebos , and Carrion Feeder Dictate of Erebos is worth it, it will not only l=allow you to sac creatures and make theirs die but pull out counters, and other things, the real goal is to win, and with more demons on the field and Liliana's Contract you are more likely to get your win con, and if not you have back up options to get other ways to win
2 months ago
Merciless Executioner Plaguecrafter etc. Give you a double trigger and you can sacrifice them to their own ability Or sac a token and save them for blocking. Get a Blasting Station to add extra value damage Ashnod's Altar Phyrexian Altar probably a total of 6 to 8 sac outlets. Pitiless Plunderer for more mana. Green ramp spells, Blood Artist , Zulaport Cutthroat Vindictive Vampire Falkenrath Noble to drain and gain life. Whisper, Blood Liturgist and Hell's Caretaker are great sac/recursion. some creatures that etb and give you creatures tokens, such as Sengir Autocrat . Sanguine Bond if you want to further capitalize on the life gain. Torment of Hailfire to kick em while they are down. Smothering Abomination Sifter of Skulls Razaketh, the Foulblooded and that is mostly just the black part of the deck. The nice thing about Golgari is that there are a great deal of synergies between the legendary and dual coloured creatures to a point where a lot of them are playable in each other’s decks and when you sac a creature of both colours you receive both benefits from savra. A life gain sub theme or mass resurrection are both decent approaches. Buried Alive and Entomb are great! Well I’m sure that you probably were aware of most of these cards but hopefully these are useful to you. I will check back later to see who you chose as a commander. Cheers.
2 months ago
Of course you're correct. You probably know this already, but I think that along with a creature which produces tokens when it enters -- eg, Grave Titan or Sengir Autocrat -- Whisper can produce a combo. The same is true of Hell's Caretaker . One has Whisper out (or the Caretaker), then plays the Titan, which makes two zombies on entry. She sacrifices the Titan and a zombie, and brings back another creature from the grave (which was already there before she entered play; you need to set up a bit). This untaps her as Thornbite Staff triggers on the sacrifice. She then sacrifices the second zombie and the creature she resurrected to bring back Grave Titan , who in turn makes two more zombies. This action causes Thornbite Staff to untap her again. This is repeated ad nauseam. If one has a creature such as Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat on the field, this will kill your opponent gradually with the death triggers. Thanks for the help!
3 months ago
3 months ago
Oooh a solid theme using a card I love flavorwise and I dont see enough (the font) and some great demon choices without clogging up the deck with Shadowborn Apostles. Always like seeing Endrik show up in lists like this, very handy for sacrifices.
Speaking of, my suggestions are more towards the sacrifice side of things:
Sengir Autocrat : A great classic and a good source or early things to feed to your Mindslash and various demons.
Culling the Weak : For that early boost in mana when you have creatures to toss, can help get some of the more annoying large demons out in play.
Some earlier mana rocks like Charcoal Diamond Worn Powerstone and Hedron Archive etc. I am mostly concerned about your board in the earlier stages of the game before the big demons are out or the graveyards are filled.
4 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
4 months ago
Finally got a chance to check this out.. sorry for the delay bud.
Looks proper. I'd only make one single suggestion.
The Serf tokens get exiled and don't ever hit the graveyard or do you much good that I notice at first glance. He's overpriced for a 0/1 with 3 chump blockers that won't help much. I'd rather get all that draw from the Library.
Otherwise, nice work sir.
Sengir Autocrat occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%