|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Planechase Anthology (PCA)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Planechase 2012 Edition (PC2)||Common|
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Cage of Hands
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
: Return Cage of Hands to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cage of Hands Discussion
1 week ago
A couple of options to consider:
- Blind Obedience is really good in multiplayer. Daxos tends to take a bit to get off the ground, so slowing down your opponents and being able to stack up some extra life can be really valuable. -
- You have a lot of ways to spend mana other than spells, so Eidolon of Rhetoric and/or Rule of Law can really help you outvalue your opponents.
- You might consider one more way to protect Daxos. Flickering Ward could be a good option, especially with Serra's Sanctum to generate tons of white mana.
- I like Cessation / Cage of Hands as options for shutting down enemy commanders. Since Daxos tends to go long, removals are actually a bit weak for commander control.
- Skybind is one of my favorite Daxos tech cards. Both Daxos and Heliod can make enchantments at instant speed, which allows Skybind to act as more or less a repeatable Maze of Ith.
In terms of possible cuts:
- Athreos seems marginal. The deck is creature light and people will happily pay for anything that's actually relevant enough.
- It doesn't look like you have a lot of ways to abuse Faith's Reward. It'd really require the right set of circumstances to give 4 mana in value.
- You have a lot of ways to spend life, but not a lot of ways to recoup it. Corpse Augur is probably your least good way of spending life for cards and can probably safely go.
- Citadel Siege is a possibility. It locks down some problem cards, but maybe it could go if you went for something like Cage or Skybind?
- Diabolic Revelation may not end up being amazing. I find that Daxos almost always has something to do with mana, so expensive tutors (even if they can get multiple cards) can end up being somewhat dead. It may be good, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on it.
2 months ago
Kaneki___Ken you definitely don't have to go voltron with sram, the extra draw is just valuable in mono white even if it is every couple turns. I'd say Flickering Ward and Skullclamp are a good place to start. If you want to go with something unique a pillow fort build around cards like Cage of Hands, Cessation, Pacifism etc would be neat. Could use Eidolon of Countless Battles and Ethereal Armor for the win maybe?
3 months ago
rolfMTG, rather hilariously enough, my mainboard actually has no pure enchantment synergy. Journey to Nowhere is probably just as solid as something like Go for the Throat in that case. Your comment did make me think of Arrest effects though, so maybe I'll dig up some old Cage of Hands. I'd like to have a set of Fatal Push and Path to Exile- maybe when I'm no longer a starving undergrad.
3 months ago
Sorry, I was unclear on Skybind. It's for blinking your opponent's scary stuff by creating a token with Daxos. The most common uses are:
- Repeatable Maze of Ith. I run a bunch of lockdown effects like Cage of Hands and the like to prevent problem commanders from being able to attack. Skybind is strong encouragement for your opponents to attack each other.
- Combo disruption. Blinking out things like Nim Deathmantle to stop a combo and bring spot removal online or blinking out Laboratory Maniac to straight up kill someone can be really good.
- Counter resets. Skybind can basically just shut off things like Lux Cannon and Magistrate's Scepter if anyone is running that sort of thing. Also, any creatures with X costs like Hangarback Walker are really sad to get blinked.
- Protecting Daxos. This is the use that feels the worse, but if you can blink out Daxos for 3 mana rather than having to deal with the commander tax going up, it makes it much easier for you to recover from a board wipe.
As for Heliod, I agree that his counters aren't that strong on their own (the only source of buff here would be Cathars' Crusade. But they are enchantments, so if you don't have Daxos around, it's another way to trigger your constellation effects. I've been iffy on how good he actually is. On the one hand, a 5/6 indestructible is nice to have around when he's active. Also, things like Heartstone and Celestial Dawn make getting tokens out for a reasonable cost a lot easier (and also help Daxos when he's out). On the other, unless the tax on Daxos has been driven really high, it doesn't take too many activations until you would have been happier just recasting Daxos. I could see going either way, and I can respect that he's just about pricey enough to not want to buy one to find out you're not happy wit hit.
3 months ago
A few things that might be non-ideal:Starfield of Nyx is really risky in Daxos. If it ever activates, all of your spirit tokens die immediately. This is because they get their normal P/T as a characteristic definition ability in layer 7a, then have it modified to 0/0 as a power/toughness setting ability in layer 7b.
You might consider trimming some number of the buff auras for more utility enchantments. I've found that being a cheap source of experience counters is frequently just not good enough on an aura. I really like Rule of Law and Eidolon of Rhetoric since they give you more room to sink mana in to generating spirits without falling behind. Some combination of Cathars' Crusade, True Conviction and Intangible Virtue can also be pretty good.
I see you have Cage of Hands. In a similar vain, you might consider Flickering Ward. That combined with Doomwake Giant is really strong. Add in Celestial Dawn and it's probably going to be hard for your opponents to play creatures. It's a bit of a nonbo with Rule of Law, but in most cases, if everyone is only casting one spell a turn, you're already pretty happy.
Skybind might also be worth considering. You've got a couple flicker effects and Daxos lets get Skybind triggers at instant speed to blink out scary attackers.
I learned about a few neat cards from this list. Thanks :)
5 months ago
So due to being less than thrilled with my Bant Token deck, I was thinking about rejigging it to be a voltron deck since my commander; Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker is pretty good at powering themselves up since I often play multiple opponents in my local magic group, and was considering of changing it to a new theme.
Cards I own
I For control and disruption I have plenty of control cards like Convolute, Counterspell, Simic Charm, Spell Rupture, etc... Disruption includes Divine Reckoning, Pacifism, Diminish, Paralyzing Grasp, Rapid Hybridization, Defang, Cage of Hands As well as stuff that trashes enchantments and Artifacts.
For powering up my commander my Artifact pool is less than ideal, had to work with what I got. They include Trailblazer's Boots, Fireshrieker, Skyblinder Staff, Ring of Evos Isle, Grafted Exoskeleton, and Livewire Lash.
Enchantments and effects for protecting my commander and/or giving them evasion include: Infiltrator's Magemark, Holy Mantle, Guildscorn Ward, Alpha Authority, Ghostform, Sheltering Word, Survive the Night, Haze of Pollen, Shielded Passage, Rogue's Passage etc...
Mana Ramp: Assume all of my mana rocks in the bant deck are going to be cannibalized.
Creatures: I don't have the good stuff to do a true one man voltron, but I can use walls like Angelic Wall, Fog Bank, Wall of Frost for protecting myself and the effects of creatures like Fan Bearer, Mistmeadow Witch, New Prahv Guildmage, to aid my commander so they can swing in for lethal damage.
Cards I'm Scouting to Buy
New commander to pair with Ishai: Reyhan, Last of the Abzan
The cards I'm looking to get for this build would be things like the WUBRG Wards and the dual color protection like Shield of Duty and Reason, and Spectra Ward. Mask of Avacyn, Swiftfoot Boots, Aqueous Form, Steel of the Godhead, Indestructibility, and Battle Mastery
Think this is something that I can/should pull off? Any Budget recommendations?
7 months ago
Luminarch Ascension seems out of place.
8 months ago
Nice. Some other cards worth considering that I play in my Daxos deck:
Aura of Silence, Battle Mastery, Cage of Hands, Crystal Chimes, Ghostblade Eidolon, Grasp of Fate, Heliod's Pilgrim,
Odunos River Trawler, Orzhov Cluestone, Orzhov Keyrune, Pillory of the Sleepless, Shackles, Shielded by Faith