Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Minotaur Wizard
Whenever Boros Reckoner is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to target creature or player.
: Boros Reckoner gains first strike until end of turn.
7 months ago
PhyrexianPraetor Thannks again for all the good card suggestions. I really appreciate it! I remember the black devotion decks well, good ol Gary! Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Phyrexian Obliterator, nasty stuff mate! The Shivan Devastator is indeed a pretty sick new card! I have a few but they are in my brother's Dragon deck with the Stormbreath Dragons and Thunderbreak Regents, but maybe I'll order another one or two for me! Boros Reckoner is a great card as well, I had them in the main board, and they have totally saved my skin in the past, I pushed them out to lower the curve a bit more, but I always keep them in the wings as a possibility. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx is already in the deck, gotta have that in any devotion deck for sure! Robber of the Rich is also a great card that can provide value and remove possible threats from the opponents deck before they become a problem, I wish I had paper copies, I have him in my historic RDW on arena for certain, I'll look getting some physical copies. As for the War Elemental, Stigma Lasher, Harsh Mentor, and Vexing Shusher, I do not have any of those cards, but I'll put them into consideration! Cheers!
7 months ago
BotaNickill I also played standard around the time of RTR and Theros. I favoured Black Devotion myself.
Here is a list of cards you might find fun to test with.
1) Leyline of Punishment for the side, Stigma Lasher is a good alternative. I suggest these due to the prevalence of food decks. Gaining life doesn’t generally win the game, but it gives the opponent enough time to get control.
2) Harsh Mentor was a good card for a few years. It was used in traditional burn decks to punish players with lots of fetch-lands, effectively bolting the opponent every-time they cracked a fetch.
3) Vexing Shusher is a card that I have seen in the past in Naya Zoo and Green Stompy lists. Can be good against control or forces the control player to waste a spell to deal with it.
4) Boros Reckoner was a common choice I saw in standard Red Devotion lists. More often than not it will get through due to it’s ability.
5) Robber of the Rich is a cheap alternative to Ragavan. It doesn’t give treasure tokens, but it more or less achieves the same thing.
6) These last two are neat ideas. Shivan Devastator is a new card you probably have seen. It’s a good card that scales with the game and unlike most other “X” spells it has haste and if you ever added Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx it would be a strong combo. One other card I have seen on a few occasions is War Elemental. I played against a burn player sometime back and he had three of these in his deck. Was kind of annoying to deal with due to getting three +1/+1 counters almost every turn.
8 months ago
Pinkfluffyant thanks a bunch! Clone is my wildcard. Sow a little chaos into the game whenever I clone their high P/T creature card. And of course you can use any part of my deck you like; I don't mind! I noticed you're using Deflecting Palm. I'd say that's my #1 favorite of all cards in the game. Besides using Gideon's Sacrifice and Boros Reckoner whenever they smugly swing with all of their creatures.
8 months ago
Pariah as a removal spell is kind of interesting. I’ve not really seen people use it in combination with cards like Boros Reckoner or indestructible cards. If it’s your theme go for it.
9 months ago
9-lives addressing each of your comments in order:
keeping in mind my list isa rough draft, it still is packed with a lot more win conditions than a typical control deck should have. Namely, Boros Reckoner+Blasphemous Act do massive damage, and then the game becomes fairly easy to close out with the various creature copy/steal spells.
I’ve already explained multiple times why Ionize and Essence Backlash are terrible counterspells. The small amount of damage they deal doesn’t redeem them - they’re still heavily overcosted and too niche in application. Control decks win by controlling the board and then presenting a win condition when your opponent is low on resources. An extra 2-4 incidental damage won’t matter, especially when your opponent has been given soo much free-reign to do-what-they-want.
the reason I suggested Control Magic over Clone is that Control Magic steals their creature, taking something from the opponent. Clone only copies it, meaning the opponent still has their stuff and you’ll likely end up just 1-for-1 trading thise creatures.
Your quote of ”Also, the aikido archetype requires that I do damage whenever I counter. That's basically what aikido does.” is just plain wrong. That does not fit in with the glossary definition of the archtype provided above, nor does it fit-in with what actual Aikido lists (seen in edh) try to achieve. You’ve created your own warped definition of the term, and are now holding yourself ransom to it.
your quote of ”Spellweaver Eternal is an aikido card because it does damage by blocking.” - not what the card does, not what Aikido decks in magic want to do.
the land count in your deck is most-definitely too low, but i can see you’re not going to see reason here. Doing some stats using this site, with your current land count you’re going to miss playing your 3rd land on-time 45% of the time! You miss your 4th land 65% of the time.
9 months ago
I just added back Gideon's Sacrifice which works with Boros Reckoner for dealing with a lot of creatures that swing all at once. I've actually won games this way, as most people don't expect it, and they all swing at once to deal fastest the most damage with a bunch of tokens or aggro.
9 months ago
I know very little about Akido in MTG but I think you would be better to build Skred Red instead
9 months ago
Daveslab2022 also Spellweaver Eternal is a good card against small creatures as a way to deal damage to the player and block creatures. I just need a way to keep my creatures alive, and the only card I knew of is Basri Ket. If I can give my cards indestructible, specifically Spellweaver Eternal and Boros Reckoner, then I can redirect and deal damage to the player over and over. This is a main strategy I was thinking of. Just need help with a card that makes them indestructible or something like that.