Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Elemental Shaman
Whenever Thunderkin Awakener attacks, choose target Elemental creature card in your graveyard with toughness less than Thunderkin Awakener's toughness. Return that card to the battlefield tapped and attacking. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
5 months ago
JosephStardust While I agree with you, I believe the main point of Cathartic Reunion is to bin cards to recur with Unearth or Thunderkin Awakener. The card draw is mostly just an upside. Discarding more cards is better for Thunderkin Awakener
5 months ago
I love this deck idea, its one of my favorite!
Here is what I did; I went Mardu for Spark Trooper (lifegain) and some other artifact/enchantment removal options. I know you specified that the Trooper is missed by Unearth but it is not missed by Thunderkin Awakener or Flamekin Harbinger (tutor). My deck is so aggressive that I personally found that my graveyard could run dry, especially when Thunderkin was doing his job, making Unearth sometimes not helpful. So, I focus on Thunderkin as a main reanimation strategy with Unearth being backup.
I found that drawing into new elementals was very important so that my graveyard could be full. But I do this by playing the elementals, not discarding them. To do this I decided to use a card I've always wanted to make work in a deck: Infiltration Lens. this card is really nice because Thunderkin must attack to trigger and him getting blocked is most likely how he’ll die. When he is equipped with the lens, your opponent must choose between a second graveyard elemental (next turn) or two new cards from your library. You can easily draw into more trample elementals or maybe another Thunderkin or an Unearth to reanimate Thunderkin. This repeatable draw gets out of hand really quick.
I just recently replaced Double Cleave (the double strike strategy) with the newly reprinted Twinflame. It makes sense to also use Twinflame on Thunderkin Awakener where double strike didn't. Its kind-of like a 2drop (with "strive") Unearth; it helps emphasize Thunderkin being my main strategy.
I also recently started using Bone Shards because, as other users have pointed out, you can discard to use it before combat or use it after combat and sacrifice one of the elementals that will self-sac anyways.
Anyways, If you are interested, here is the link to my deck for reference.
5 months ago
Really nice! I've been perfecting my elemental Mardu deck for a year or so now. My goal was budget, heavy hitting tramplers, and reanimation. I had many of the same ideas you have here except white gives me access to Spark Trooper for lifegain.
- Stigma Lasher has a very nice place in my deck. It helps fill the early game but also shuts down lifegain decks by turn 3.
- I just recently replaced Double Cleave (the double strike strategy) with the newly reprinted Twinflame. It makes sense to also use Twinflame on Thunderkin Awakener where Double Cleave didn't. I figured 1 instant speed double strike 6/1 was weaker then 2 6/1s from my graveyard. This could possibly be a solution to your search for more Unearth-like cards.
- Speaking of Unearth, may I suggest using the new on-theme version: Unearth
- I decided to protect Thunderkin Awakener with Infiltration Lens because him getting blocked is most likely how he’ll die. This is because, Thunderkin must attack to trigger so why not force your opponents to decide between 1 elemental from your graveyard or maybe two from the top of your deck. Plus, I usually have an Unearth in hand. Or, maybe I'll draw into another Thunderkin.
- Also, Infiltration Lens can also be equipped to the 6/1s to encourage full damage throughput.
- There have been some games I’ve played where my graveyard seemed to run just a little dry. All my reanimation cards felt like dead cards especially when Thunderkin Awakener was doing his job. I found that drawing extra into more elementals was more reliable.
I do like a few cards you are using. I’ll look into replacing my Fall of the Hammer with Bone Shards; I really like what has been said here about it. Also Blood Mist sounds fun; I wounder if its not too slow.
If you are interested, here is the link to my deck for reference. Tappedout thinks its 75% competitive.
6 months ago
I've been perfecting my elemental Mardu deck for a year or so now. My goal was budget, heavy hitting tramplers, and reanimation. I had many of the same ideas you have here except black gives me access to Unearth and hand discard with Lightning Skelemental.
Some key differences:
- I use Stigma Lasher to stop lifegain decks by turn 3.
- I just recently replaced Double Cleave with the newly reprinted Twinflame. It makes sense to also use Twinflame on Thunderkin Awakener where Double Cleave didn't. I figured 1 instant speed double strike 6/1 was weaker then 2 6/1s with lifegain and hand discard effects.
- I also decided to protect Thunderkin Awakener with Infiltration Lens because he must attack for his ability to trigger; Him getting blocked is most likely how he'll die. So, why not make your opponent decide between 1 elemental from your graveyard or maybe 2 from your deck. Plus, I usually have an Unearth in hand. Or, maybe I'll draw into another Thunderkin Awakener.
- Infiltration Lens can also be equipped to the 6/1s to encourage full damage throughput.
- I find that the very persistant and constant barrage of 6/1s to be enough to overwhelm the opponent.
I do like a few of the elementals you have here like Incandescent Soulstoke. I'll have to see if they may work in my deck too.
Anyways, here is the link to my deck for reference. Tappedout thinks its 75% competitive.
7 months ago
I attack with a Thunderkin Awakener. In my graveyard I have another Thunderkin Awakener and a Spitebellows. Can I use my attacking TA to pull out the other TA, then use my second TA to pull out the Spitebellows and attack with all three creatures?
8 months ago
Wow! I like what you have going! I have a similar budget deck that is only Black and Red. Balls Lightning. It's probably one of the sharpest budget decks that I have made. I have some specific cards that developed like Thud in place of Fling. I ran Temur Battle Rage and I wound up changing it to Raking Claws because the balls already have trample and over Assault Strobe because you need instant speed with the Thunderkin Awakener.
Good stuff! I didn't even know there was a green ball lightning.
1 year ago
Omniscience_is_life Would it work the same way with
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar or since it doesn't have the stars for power/toughness Thunderkin Awakener sees it as a 0/0 and would be able to return it to the battlefield?