Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Merfolk Pirate
If an opponent would draw a card except the first one they draw in each of their draw steps, instead you create a treasure token. (It's an artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Gain one mana of any colour.")
sylvannos on Hoax Storm v2
3 weeks ago
To start with, there's a few cards that have better Vintage equivalents. Overmaster and Spell Pierce should be the 3rd. and 4th. copies of Force of Will. Leftover space from cutting those can be Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, or Flusterstorm. You don't need Faithless Looting because we have Paradoxical Outcome, Sensei's Divining Top, Gush, Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, and Brainstorm to choose from. Merchant Scroll also belongs in here, because you can use it to grab Ancestral Recall at the very least. Usually you want it to make sure you have protection in hand by grabbing countermagic.
Library of Alexandria isn't good in this deck. And you're not the type that needs 8x sources, so Steam Vents can go, along with a few copies of Volcanic Island (1 or 2). Replace all of these with four copies of Scalding Tarn and basic lands. Or even just play 6x fetches. You need to be able to shuffle after using Brainstorm, Ponder,and Sensei's Divining Top.
From here, you have a solid U/R Storm shell. However, I wouldn't play straight "Modern U/R Storm, but Power 9" dot dec. 2 mana is a lot for Goblin Electromancer, there are easier ways of winning than Grapeshot, and so on. The question then becomes "Where to go from here?"
- Paradoxical Outcome is just the nuts. By bouncing moxen and cheap artifacts, it's a ritual (since you can replay everything for , untapping it all) and it's a draw spell. However, Paradoxical Outcome requires Mox Opals, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, etc. so you'll have to cut rituals (likely Seething Song). The upside is you get an extremely powerful engine that can often end the game with a single Paradoxical Outcome.
- Thassa's Oracle is the new hotness for Vintage combo cards. You can win the game by casting Brain Freeze on yourself, then casting Thassa's Oracle. It also opens up more combos using Demonic Consultation and Doomsday. Sometimes you've just drawn a bunch of cards and have ~3 cards left in your deck.
- Tinker is too good in Storm not to play it. You're either getting Memory Jar, Bolas's Citadel, Time Vault (Voltaic Key is already good in Storm when combined with Mana Vault and friends), or a random wincon like Sphinx of the Steel Wind boarded in for game 2. Bolas's Citadel will essentially flip the top half of your deck into play.
- You can also play draw 7s (Wheel of Fortune, Timetwister, Memory Jar, Diminishing Returns) in combination with Narset, Parter of Veils and Hullbreacher.
- Mana Drain is good, but you may find it too slow if you make any of the above changes. It definitely does more work in a more control-oriented Storm deck with Narset, Parter of Veils, Dack Fayden, Grim Tutor, etc.
- Lastly, there's the question of Underworld Breach, Yawgmoth's Will, Monastery Mentor, or some combination of these. Underworld Breach will mean you can stay in two colors. Playing black for Yawgmoth's Will allows you to play Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Necropotence, Doomsday, Tendrils of Agony, and hardcasting Bolas's Citadel. Monastery Mentor both scales up and goes sideways. A single token is enough to kill someone combined with Paradoxical Outcome or a draw 7. Monastery Mentor is like casting Tarmogoyf and Empty the Warrens for three mana and one card.
Hope this helps! Welcome to MtG's oldest and greatest format.
LordKunai on Fish, Inc.
1 month ago
lol WHAT?! oh, i'm so sorry. I've been out of magic for a year or so and had no idea. That's so dumb that a card released in what is essentially a 'commander set' is banned in commander. And how is Hullbreacher banned and not Notion Thief? I guess i kinda get it cuz notion thief is a little more restrictive, but still...
And i understand about keeping things fun. But, there will be opponents who are virtually trying to draw their entire deck in a single turn to assemble a wincon and that could also be seen as not fun. Hullbreacher just stops them from doing that and it's not like he isn't easily removable.
Again, sorry for the erroneous comment.
LordKunai on Fish, Inc.
1 month ago
mmm how about Hullbreacher?
king-saproling on CARD DRAW EQUALS PAIN
2 months ago
Spark Double, Sakashima the Impostor, Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, and Irenicus's Vile Duplication can copy Queza so you can double the pain.
Here are some other cards you might consider: Well of Lost Dreams, Skirge Familiar, Dawn of Hope, Marauding Blight-Priest, Cliffhaven Vampire, Epicure of Blood, Vizkopa Guildmage
Also heads up that Hullbreacher is banned but maybe your playgroup is cool with it.
Coward_Token on People's Thoughts on Mommy Norn?
2 months ago
Yeah I'm kinda surprised about the controversy
What Caerwyn said about her supposedly being "Too generically good". I don't see myself including her in many of my decks, if any. She is not Smothering Tithe. I don't think comparing her to Hullbreacher or Drannith Magistrate is appropriate, as they're going to come out and shut down the board much quicker due to their low cost.
What aholder7 said about ETBs needing more answers.
Yarok is a three-color commander, while Mommmy Norn is mono-white, which still lacks good draw (yes, BRO tried). As a commander she'll have problems keeping up with having enough protective cards available. To be fair though, while she lacks an explicit self-protection ability like hexproof, she is immune to a lot of creature- and enchantment-based removal, e.g. Amphin Mutineer and Grasp of Fate.
plakjekaas on People's Thoughts on Mommy Norn?
2 months ago
DrukenReaps it sounds like you've never played mono white stax before. Crippling the game from the command zone is a good thing? This as a commander single-handedly halves the amount of games you can play in a night, annoying your opponents in the process.
I've never played a game where Torpor Orb wasn't universally welcomed with groans from all players who didn't cast it. It's fun... once. Just once. See what happens and then disband the deck or be sternly lectured by the playgroup. Take it from someone who played Hokori, Dust Drinker and Lavinia, Azorius Renegade long ago with the same vibes '^^
cEDH players will probably think it's fine, the higher power your meta, the better your answers to a threat like this, or at least the better your ability to play around it. It's as much mana as Ad Nauseam after all. But at casual tables, this card screams very loudly: "DOUBLE MY FUN, NONE FOR YOU ALL" which is a sentiment I don't associate with white in the color pie, nor with a nice game of casual commander '^^
It really is on the same page as Hullbreacher, Opposition Agent, Narset, Parter of Veils, Notion Thief, Drannith Magistrate, Karn, the Great Creator and the like. It's going to punish opponents just for trying to play their deck, even without any other deckbuilding effort. It's at least as punishing as the old praetors, but for half the mana.
If you go against this deck, play blue and make sure you can Clone it, so that everybody is equally unhappy and all can learn from the terrible experience ;)
thesilentpyro on "Casual" Anti-Rez Flash
4 months ago
- 2x Daze for surprise shenanigans and Mystic Sanctuary plays
- 2x Cryptic Command because value
- 2x Brazen Borrower because need more tempo
- 1x Mystic Sanctuary because value
- 1x Nightpack Ambusher because the deck wants as much interaction as possible and 4mv finishers are hard in a tempo deck
- 2x Mana Leak to make room for 2x Daze
- 2x Mystic Snake to make room for 2x Cryptic Command and because it kinda sucks
- 1x Snow-Covered Forest to make room for the third Mystic Sanctuary and we're dropping some green requirements
- 1x Hullbreacher to make room for Brazen Borrower
legendofa on Card creation challenge
5 months ago
Creature - Djinn
If a player would draw a card except the first one they draw in each of their draw steps, instead that player exiles the top card of their library. They may play it this turn.
If a player would search their library, instead that player draws a card.
You wish for more cards? Well, here they are! Use them fast! Hullbreacher + Urabrask, Heretic Praetor = bad times for all. And yes, it affects its controller, too.
Create a Legendary Artifact Creature.
|Have (5)||TheRealSpecialK , CrimsonKing , Azdranax , BillyBalverine , metalmagic|