Creature — Treefolk
Vanishing 3 (This permanent enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
When Deadwood Treefolk enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield, return another target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Deadwood Treefolk occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Deadwood Treefolk Discussion
1 year ago
Eternal Witness , Finale of Devastation , Creeping Renaissance , Deadwood Treefolk , Genesis , Greenwarden of Murasa , Hatchery Spider , Moldgraf Monstrosity , Nature's Spiral , Noxious Revival , Paleoloth , Praetor's Counsel , Regrowth , Reincarnation , Revive , Seasons Past , Skullwinder , Verdant Confluence , and Wildwood Rebirth are all reasonable options and I am sure I am missing a few since I was going through this quickly at 2 am.
With mono g I would say get 3 or 4 of these and focus on keeping a full grip of cards even if it means cutting a few of your worst wurms to make it so you get to your good wurms faster. A Duskwatch Recruiter Flip is more helpful to you than something like Duskdale Wurm . Good draw and tutors make a deck much stronger than one just jam packed with big dudes.
There are also a few indestructible creatures that can be used if there are far too many board wipes to recover. Spearbreaker Behemoth , Impervious Greatwurm and Nylea, God of the Hunt are pretty fitting cards for wurms imo.
6 player games can be fun, but you are right, some decks don't really function well with that many. I always prefer 4 player games.
1 year ago
Then you probably also want some big boys or value producers to go along with those combos. For example, Avenger of Zendikar goes along pretty well with the Mirror Entity combo. Additionally, Polyraptor , Gruul Ragebeast , Verdant Sun's Avatar , Trostani, Selesnya's Voice could be big help too.
Also haste enablers like Urabrask the Hidden , Anger , Fervor , Fires of Yavimaya , Hammer of Purphoros , Rhythm of the Wild . Another great combo would Shifting Shadow , which'll get you a two for one if you attach it to an egg (although the second creature gains haste, but will die)
1 year ago
Hey there! Great list so far! You definitely seem to have a +1+1 counter and -1-1 counter theme going on.
Maybe Massacre Girl to help trigger killing other creatures. Forgotten Ancient if you like the +1+1 counter theme. Woodfall Primus is an excellent creature to bring back, Deadwood Treefolk as another creature that beings something back. Wall of Roots for ramp and a blocker that’s cheap to bring back with Meren. Crypt Ghast is a great creature to have to double mana.
Good luck! +1
1 year ago
An interesting list!
I would look at lowering/smoothing out your curve, I have found it helps improve the functionality of a deck.
2 years ago
Composite Golem has a 5 color identity.
Yavimaya Dryad ramp with a weird form of evasion, on a creature as well.
Acidic Slime it's the green commander staple, blows stuff up.
Brutalizer Exarch it's an acidic slime only mostly better.
Triumph of Ferocity kind of another draw engine enchantment.
Harmonize draw 3 spell in green.
Stingerfling Spider flyer removal on a body.
Roaring Primadox value engine.
Deadwood Treefolk value regrowth effect.
Affectionate Indrik he's a fighter.
2 years ago
Hey there, I really like Rapacious One in my Xenagos deck, curves out of Xenagos, and sets you up to cast the real big stuff/multiple threats ( Worldspine, Giant Adephage, Balefire Dragon) after the table realises your going to kill them all.
I found that as my playgroup got used to getting hit for 30+ damage they began to lean heavily on wraths to try and stem the flow, so I began to shift to annoying, value beaters and recursion. Genesis regrows a creature at the low cost of 3 mana every turn, Vorapede is a fine beatstick without Xenagos, Feldon of the Third Path is an excellent way to get value out of your graveyard, too. Deadwood Treefolk was also surprisingly good, though it’s maybe outclassed by Greenwarden of Murasa, it still mashes in for 6 w/‘Gos out and blocks well. Eternal Witness is another option.
And Atarka, World Render, the “you take 24” cannon that gets better if you throw even a few extra dragons in ( Scourge of the Throne, Balefire, Dragon Broodmother produces a steady stream of chumps so you can swing freely each turn.
2 years ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
2 years ago
Omnath is completely commander dependant, after all the goal of the deck is to combo off with him, so there is not much you can do, so you have to work around it. You need to protect him better and get a bit more recursion because Omnath at 7 CMC is expensive enough.
Against removals you can use Sylvan Safekeeper and Heroic Intervention and there is always Asceticism which is a bit more expensive both money and mana wise.
For recursion Seasons Past is one of my favorite cards lately, easilly you get five to seven cards out of it. Greenwarden of Murasa is another no brainer because of the tribal theme. Deadwood Treefolk works similarly, it sacrifices itself and you don't have to exile it, but only brings back creatures. Paleoloth is another creature I though about, the creature by itself is kinda bad, but with Omnath you can trigger it the same turn you cast it.
Some creatures are too big to be killed with damage or plainly indestructible, so I run stuff like Scour from Existence and Brittle Effigy. Spitebellows is a damage based removal but you can get a lotta triggers for just three mana.
You should cut Door of Destinies and Vanquisher's Banner, you only have 14 elemental spells (counting Omnath) so you won't be getting enough triggers out of them to make them worth their spot in the deck.
Animist's Awakening is just bad, keep in mind you will be getting about one land for every three mana you spend on the X (there are many other effects taking lands out of the deck). It would be good if were producing limitless mana, but if you already have infinite mana you don't really need so many lands, anyway it's a worse Genesis Wave. Better options are Traverse the Outlands and Boundless Realms or the Genesis Wave.
Stuff like Exploration and Wayward Swordtooth work amazingly in these decks, specially when you combine it with the Oracle of Mul Daya and Courser of Kruphix you already run and Ramunap Excavator if you were to include it (feels like a cheat with cards like Evolving Wilds).