|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Elder of Laurels
Creature — Human Advisor
3G: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Elder of Laurels Discussion
2 months ago
Perhaps Skarrg Goliath for commander damage win out of no where? Maybe even Ghor-Clan Rampager. I really do like the synergy Bloodrush brings to the table in this deck, getting around Ruric Thar's ability and all.
Recommending Primordial Sage because you can't get enough card draw. Also consider Hua Tuo, Honored Physician for pretty consistent recursion. Skullwinder is good too. Bloodmark Mentor helps keep RT alive in combat. Boartusk Liege and Instigator Gang Flip if you're looking for more anthems. Khenra Charioteer if you need more trample enablers.
3 months ago
This advice is for going full Human Tribal, so no soldiers and spirits.
- Minus Emeria Shepherd Card is too expensive, no synergy b/c no ETB effects or payoff cards to reanimate.
- Minus Collective Effort Card is too mediocre in EDH
- Minus Devout Invocation, Although a very cool and flavourful card, it's too expensive, and doesn't have a direct impact on the board without a haste source in play.
- Minus Ajani Unyielding, Strong card, but no synergy wit the deck.
- Minus Bow of Nylea, Card is too underwhelming in EDH
- Minus Gallows at Willow Hill, again, very flavourful, but underwhelming.
- Minus Swiftfoot Boots, usually works better with big creatures that need protection, instead of a lot of small creatures, if you really want to play it, go for Lightning Greaves
- Minus Thought Vessel, you don't really need the ramp if you keep the CMC low, same goes for the hand-size limit, you want to keep casting creatures, not gain a massive hand. Imagine drawing this instead of more humans that commit to the board state.
- Minus Asceticism, you're main concern is board wipes, not target removal, I would suggest playing this in a creature based deck like Mayael the Anima
- Minus Archetype of Courage, too underwhelming in my opinion
- Minus Somberwald Sage, only ramps for big creatures, which is not your focus.
- Minus Decimator of the Provinces, too underwhelming for its cmc
- Minus Elder of Laurels, not a bad card, but only buffs one creature, you want more anthem effects.
- Minus Fiend Hunter, it's a solid card, there are better options
- Minus Geist-Honored Monk, solid card, but no human synergy and no game changer for 5 CMC
- Minus Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Minus Odric, Master Tactician, never been a fan of these.
- Minus Precinct Captain, soldiers, no humans
- Minus Ulvenwald Tracker, meh
- Minus Voice of Resurgence, obviously one of the best cards in Modern, solid in EDH, but not really a human card
- Minus Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, I get the point, but no humans
- Minus Avacyn, Angel of Hope, So good, so expensive
- Minus Mosswort Bridge, not enough value to gain here, so just a slow land card.
- Plus Skullclamp best draw engine for tokens in the game.
- Plus Devout Chaplain, solid tribe removal
- Plus Heron's Grace Champion, excellent combat trick.
- Plus Herald of War, solid tribal support
- Plus Tireless Tracker, great stand-alone with draw-engine
- Plus Grand Abolisher, anti control card
- Plus Thraben Doomsayer, free human tokens,
- Plus Angel of Jubilation, anthem
- Plus Chord of Calling, find your craterhoof on instant speed.
- Plus Eladamri's Call, tutor.
- Plus Green Sun's Zenith, tutor.
- Plus Avacyn's Pilgrim, solid human mana dork
- Plus Overwhelming Stampede wincon
- Plus Door of Destinies anthem
- Plus Akroma's Memorial wincon
- Plus Obelisk of Urd tribal anthem
- Plus Cryptolith Rite Ramp
- Plus Angelic Overseer Solid tribal support
- Plus Marshal's Anthem Recursion + Anthem
- Plus Kodama's Reach additional Cultivate
- Plus Adaptive Automaton tribal support
- Plus Enlightened Tutor
- Plus Gather the Townsfolk, more humans!
3 months ago
Seems alright. Few cards seem a bit... odd or like you were trying to replace cards?
I'd recommend removing the following:
- Autumn's Veil: Yisan should be cheating your cards in
- Natural State: Not a huge concern, but seems underwhelming in EDH with most non-mana rocks being 4+
- Jeweled Amulet: With playing mono-green, this seems... meh.
- Tormod's Crypt: ???
- Staff of Domination: By the time this is going off, it's probably just a win-more.
- Seeds of Innocence: There are better mass artifact removal cards that don't grant life for only 1 or 2 more mana (Creeping Corrosion?).
- Carpet of Flowers: Unless your playgroup has a bunch of monoblue players, this isn't going to be super reliable.
- Strip Mine/Ghost Quarter: ???
Some cards I'd recommend are below and some will hopefully help abuse Yisan's verse counter-curve:
- Kodama's Reach
- Rampant Growth
- Skyshroud Claim
- Beastmaster Ascension
- Creeping Corrosion
- Wave of Vitriol
- Baru, Fist of Krosa
- Bellowing Tanglewurm
- Champion of Lambholt
- Citanul Hierophants
- Elder of Laurels
- Essence of the Wild
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
- Master of the Wild Hunt
- Nylea, God of the Hunt
- Pathbreaker Ibex
- Thunderfoot Baloth
- Managorger Hydra
- Primeval Protector
- Avenger of Zendikar
- Stonehoof Chieftain
- Bloodspore Thrinax
So many cards... Point being, ramping into Yisan and triggering his ability is awesome, but a moot point if you can't hit anything that does something. But again, I could be completely missing the point of what you're going for, and if so I apologize for the wall of text. It's your deck and you are free to do with it as you please, I just wish you a grand time of obliterating your games.
3 months ago
You need Elder of Laurels for sure, Cryptolith Rite is great ramp for lots of saprolings, so is Chord of Calling I would look into the Worldgorger Dragon + Animate Dead combo with these colors, flicker loops and infinite mana. Idk depends on what you got.
4 months ago
Welcome on T/O! Saw you just joined here.
Hope you will experience lots of interesting decks, new ideas and some good feedback on what you have build.
After reviewing your decklist, I came up with a several possible cuts. Based on your question as of which creatures to cut:
- Briarbridge Patrol
- Captain of the Watch
- Crusader of Odric
- Elder of Laurels
- Fiendslayer Paladin
- Hamlet Captain
- Karametra, God of Harvests
- Rhys the Redeemed
- Thraben Doomsayer
- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
- Veteran Cathar
- Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
Good luck with your modifications!
You defenitely need more land :)
If you would like some inspiration other than yours, click here . Any upvote/comment is always appreciated.
5 months ago
Archetype of Endurance, Elderscale Wurm, Whisperwood Elemental, Soul of the Harvest, Verdant Force, Omnath, Locus of Mana, Primal Surge, Elder of Laurels, Beastmaster Ascension and Bellowing Tanglewurm. Green permanents with growth in power and number, if you play mono green that is definitely their strength.
5 months ago
I've been changing the deck quite a lot to get the budget right so a quick recap of the changes are
Opifex Thanks for all the suggestions! You're coming in with stuff i've never thought of, and that's awesome!
Elder of Laurels seems good, but expensive to use his ability. What would i take out for it?
I've never even heard of Decaying Soil before! That's a clever combo with it too!! I think that if i added that combo i'd need to retool the deck a little more to get the most out of it, like adding the Deathgreeter, Extractor Demon, and Altar of the Brood. I think adding all these cards would weaken the deck overall and i don't run any tutors to find missing combo pieces anyway. I'd have to draw all the pieces naturally, which seems bad imo.
Nether Traitor is an amazing card i wish i had the budget for! i think it fits all the themes i'm going for and has shadow for unblockable beats to boot!
Whisperwood Elemental I just took out. I think it's good, possibly to slow with the amount of tokens it produces but really good in the face of a wrath. I'm still on the fence about this one
Magus of the Abyss is a interesting card. Board control is a good thing and i think i'm warming up to the idea of the card. I just need to find cuts for all these good suggestions i'm getting!!!
carpecanum Thanks for the explaning your card suggestions!
sounds like Curse of the Cabal is the closest thing we now have to Braids, Cabal Minion? I could see politics happening when this card is hanging around in suspend. I'm hoping Wave of Vitriol provides a simliar effect i can more reliabliy cast
5 months ago
If you are going wide Cryptolith Rite, and Elder of Laurels for green. I used to use Pawn of Ulamog and Blood Pet with Decaying Soil to trigger infinite deaths. Deathgreeterand cards that trigger on death like Extractor Demon are good. If you went that route, milling with Altar of the Brood and cards like Animate Dead that let you take from their grave. Great sacrifice fodder: Nether Traitor and Reassembling Skeleton.