|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Mythic Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Mythic Rare|
|Conflux (CON)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Demon Dragon
When Malfegor enters the battlefield, discard your hand. Each opponent sacrifices a creature for each card discarded this way.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||johnsongrantr , LeroyJones , LaKU , Boza , Shiromakuro , Ashy , Vergil_Redgrail , bakunet , Reliva , PhotogenicParasympathetic , dizzierabit , brentkc49 , jstn.mrrtt , chrishuffman95 , Epidilius , Harashiohorn , philktoken8998 , mziter501 , silvereh|
|Want (4)||Ariumlegion , darthnuchi , VampSlayer , mlouden03|
1 month ago
Wow, your list is excellent! Semblance anvil is so much better than my Fluctuator + cycling creatures setup.
I didn't think of sacrificing Garna before the ability triggers, awesome!
What would you put in a Doomsday pile? I feel it might hurt more than it helps, but maybe I'm not seeing it... I'm also not sure if Hivestone is worth the slot, as it's dead-on-board without Basal Sliver which is good on its own, but I didn't see them when I was goldfishing...
I would also put a bit more land, as I wasn't finding them as much as I'd like when goldfishing and this deck is pretty explosive when it starts off fast. I think Malfegor, Rakdos, Lord of Riots and razaketh, the foulblooded are a bit too mana intensive considering how fast the deck could be, but I guess if you're looping they're quite good especially razaketh. Blood Pet might help you go off earlier?
What changes would you make if you wanted to make a 100-200$ budget version?
Stoked to see someone else interested in Garna!! Please keep me posted :)
1 month ago
A nice attempt at building a Rakdos colored deck, but unfortunately Rakdos does not fit as the commander. Usually Rakdos, Lord of Riots is about dealing decent amounts of damage through instants and sorceries in order to drop giant colorless creatures (usually Eldrazis) for cheap or free. If you want to go that route, Most of the deck would have to be scrapped in order to pursue that strategy.
However, since I imagine this is more of a deck that you put together with cards you had lying around, it might be better to simply change the commander to someone that fits the deck a bit better. From what I can see, the cards that you have seem to be centered around a lot of small guys that either rush down your opponent or sit back and lob damage with abilities. Since your opponents will probably be able to kill off a decent amount of these little guys, you might want to consider Tymaret, the Murder King or Lyzolda, the Blood Witch so that you can get sac them before they die otherwise to get more value.
With this change, you could definitely put Rakdos, Lord of Riots in the deck so that you still have that massive 6/6 in your deck and I would also recommend Malfegor for another big guy with a psuedo board clear. Then, I would recommend putting in a lot of cards that come back like Reassembling Skeleton, Bloodsoaked Champion, and Tenacious Dead as well as any cards you can find with Undying or Persist.
There are a lot more potential cards that could make the deck better that I can't type them all out, but I would recommend looking at EDHREC's website for the commander you chose for some inspiration. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!
2 months ago
Sorry for taking so long to respond, I haven't checked back on here for a bit.
Barsan I mainly didn't include the tempt cards because my playgroup has become pretty stingy with them, so they never accept any of the offerings. I do like Tempt with Reflections a lot, but Tempt with Vengeance tends to cause a board stalemate and Tempt with Immortality tends to cause one of my opponents to get one of their game-ending creatures back.
Coward_Token Sygg, River Cutthroat is a great idea! My only concern is that it becomes fairly obvious what I am trying to do, since my main goal with this deck is to cause people to lose life while looking as unassuming as possible. The same goes for Bloodchief Ascension but to a higher degree. I like Curtains' Call a lot actually, and I might just replace Deadly Designs with it as Deadly Designs never seems to work well, however Force of Will is far, far outside of my budget range.
Chill_Casual I like where you are going with this! I personally like to keep Browbeat because it's more of a political card than anything; my opponents can choose to let me draw cards which makes the card draw a bit less intimidating, but evoke cards are definitely great with Vial Smasher. Smoke would be too annoying of a card for a deck like this, since it inhibits every player so they'd want to target/kill me to get rid of it. I've been trying to get my hands on a Blasphemous Act since it's obviously great in this deck, so thanks for the suggestions!
2 months ago
3 months ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
3 months ago
Kindred Discovery is an absolute beast in any tribal deck. It is worthy to note the double blue yes, but in 5 colours you should have enough ways to produce double blue in some way, and especially with the amount of good dual lands and fetches in that manabase WOW. If it leaves mana open to not be used the giving turn due to lack of playable cards in your hand, it will draw you lots of new cards you might be able to play.
Bower Passage: Cheap, effective and a nice way to let dragons go through other flying creatures as they are one of the things to stop dragons in combat.
Signets might be a good include as some of the mana rocks, to make the rocks more effective.
Utvara Hellkite Too good not to include ;)
I actually love the name, the reason i came in here ;)
I think some of the smaller one time utilities like Foul-Tongue Invocation are a little to weak, and might be good to swap for more dragons, since 19 dragons seem a little to low for a tribal deck ;) Might want to increase it to around 24-26 :)
Lastly, Great job on the mana base, more effective cards to play and this deck will be nuts ;)
Those are my thoughts, hope you can use the advice :)
3 months ago
Tbh, idk... looking through the list I was thinking maybe Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, but I suppose its freat late game to cascade if your sitting on 9 mana and no cards in hand... I think you cut Malfegor though. Dont get me wrong my sister built Malfy is misbehaving. and wipes the floor with everyone, but I dont think you have enough card draw to recover from it or be devastating late game. Cause your not going to recover enough cards on the monarch subtheme (totally rad btw), which fits with what you want to do.
Quick note when playing Varchild's War-Riders which I hadnt realized for the longest time playtesting, you repeat the cumulative upkeep independently. Which means you can split the survivors between multiple opponents, and choose how many go to each. Makes people want to curry favor more, and you dont need to let any one opponent get ahead on board unless you want them to.
4 months ago
Looks like a neat idea--and a neat way to use Malfegor. There's a little problem, though. Yes, you're going to be making your opponents discard a lot of cards, but except for two creatures (Mindslicer and Sire Of Insanity) they're just drawing those cards back again. Those wheel effects just aren't going to get their hands empty. That means the punishers you have for small hands like Shrieking Affliction just aren't going to pull their weight. Consider instead punishing both sides of your wheel effect cards. Punish the discard with Waste Not and Liliana's Caress, then punish the card draw with things like Underworld Dreams, Spiteful Visions and many other similar effects.