|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Mythic Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Mythic Rare|
|Conflux (CON)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Demon Dragon
When Malfegor enters the battlefield, discard your hand. Each opponent sacrifices a creature for each card discarded this way.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||johnsongrantr , LeroyJones , LaKU , Boza , Ashy , Vergil_Redgrail , bakunet , miracle , Reliva , PhotogenicParasympathetic , philktoken8998 , jstn.mrrtt , mziter501 , silvereh|
|Want (4)||Ariumlegion , darthnuchi , VampSlayer , mlouden03|
2 days ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
2 weeks ago
Kindred Discovery is an absolute beast in any tribal deck. It is worthy to note the double blue yes, but in 5 colours you should have enough ways to produce double blue in some way, and especially with the amount of good dual lands and fetches in that manabase WOW. If it leaves mana open to not be used the giving turn due to lack of playable cards in your hand, it will draw you lots of new cards you might be able to play.
Bower Passage: Cheap, effective and a nice way to let dragons go through other flying creatures as they are one of the things to stop dragons in combat.
Signets might be a good include as some of the mana rocks, to make the rocks more effective.
Utvara Hellkite Too good not to include ;)
I actually love the name, the reason i came in here ;)
I think some of the smaller one time utilities like Foul-Tongue Invocation are a little to weak, and might be good to swap for more dragons, since 19 dragons seem a little to low for a tribal deck ;) Might want to increase it to around 24-26 :)
Lastly, Great job on the mana base, more effective cards to play and this deck will be nuts ;)
Those are my thoughts, hope you can use the advice :)
2 weeks ago
Tbh, idk... looking through the list I was thinking maybe Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, but I suppose its freat late game to cascade if your sitting on 9 mana and no cards in hand... I think you cut Malfegor though. Dont get me wrong my sister built Malfy is misbehaving. and wipes the floor with everyone, but I dont think you have enough card draw to recover from it or be devastating late game. Cause your not going to recover enough cards on the monarch subtheme (totally rad btw), which fits with what you want to do.
Quick note when playing Varchild's War-Riders which I hadnt realized for the longest time playtesting, you repeat the cumulative upkeep independently. Which means you can split the survivors between multiple opponents, and choose how many go to each. Makes people want to curry favor more, and you dont need to let any one opponent get ahead on board unless you want them to.
1 month ago
Looks like a neat idea--and a neat way to use Malfegor. There's a little problem, though. Yes, you're going to be making your opponents discard a lot of cards, but except for two creatures (Mindslicer and Sire Of Insanity) they're just drawing those cards back again. Those wheel effects just aren't going to get their hands empty. That means the punishers you have for small hands like Shrieking Affliction just aren't going to pull their weight. Consider instead punishing both sides of your wheel effect cards. Punish the discard with Waste Not and Liliana's Caress, then punish the card draw with things like Underworld Dreams, Spiteful Visions and many other similar effects.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Bumping, have a new topic. Malfegor control is the deck, it sounds awesome. Thooughts?
2 months ago
Malfegor might be a good fit for your deck as well
2 months ago
Here's a little list of suggestions:
- Crosis, the Purger is like Bolas's little brother.
- Sedris, the Traitor King, Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Taigam, Sidisi's Hand, a very Grixis flavored synergistic creature package.
- Prince of Thralls pure oppression incarnate.
- Archfiend of Depravity great for archenemy and multiplayer in general. Keeps the board easily manageable.
- Cauldron Dance a very powerful combat trick.
- Malfegor because demon dragon, among other things.
- Fists of the Demigod, Helm of the Ghastlord, Clout of the Dominus for flavorful buffs.
- Kederekt Parasite with Elder Mastery is one of the most evil things you can do.