|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Premium Deck Series: Slivers (PDS)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Shapeshifter
Changeling (This card is every creature type at all times.)
: Target creature gains all creature types until end of turn.
: Target creature loses all creature types until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Amoeboid Changeling Discussion
3 days ago
3 days ago
1 week ago
Oh, yah i also have Amoeboid Changeling to take care of that.
1 week ago
I love slivers more than most players. It seems like your deck has a lot of slivers in it, which is good, but I feel like in some cases you need an reason to put it in besides the fact that it's a sliver. I run a bizarre kind of sliver token deck though, so in mine, I only run 17 or so slivers, so take everything I have to say with a grain of salt.
Slivers that aren't that great:
- Blade Sliver
- Dementia Sliver (I guess if you like it, you should keep it)
- Essence Sliver (this one sounds nuts, but I run Aura Shards over this, simply because it's strictly better. There is the fact that you can't tutor for it with overlord, but for me, I have the problem that essence sliver doesn't have "may," so sometimes I end up killing a lot of my own stuff. Still there's an argument to be made for it.
- Screeching Sliver (I just don't know why this card is in here. It seems like a pretty non-synergistic effect. I also feel like even if you had a lot of slivers, it would take you an ass ton of time to mill someone out by tapping them all in EDH)
Other things to take out:
- Staff of Nin (I like this card in mono-red, but that's about it. since you have access to all the colors, there's a huge amount of cards you have access to that are just better than this card. Find something that works well with your deck. I like Fecundity, but I'm in tokens. There's a lot in blue that are great. Mind Unbound will draw you a lot of cards (a lot more than the staff). and has the same CMC, but it does have double blue. I even like Phyrexian Arena in this deck.
- Hive Stirrings. (I'm in sliver tokens and I don't really love this card. Just a lot of other effects i'd rather have for 3 mana. Maybe a Mirror Entity or an Phyrexian Arena)
- Venser's Journal (I love this card, but not in this deck. I just feel like there's not enough card draw, hand size shenannagins to make use of this card. If you added like 10 more card draw spells then sure, good pick)
Stuffs to Add:
(Note: given the sliver legion and queen, it seemed like money wasn't much of an issue, so some of these picks aren't exactly budget)
- Brood Sliver (Where is this guy? seriously, he's great.)
- Cryptolith Rite (take out Springleaf Drum. Cryptolith Rite costs one more and is strictly better.)
- Amoeboid Changeling (I think I know what you're going for with Unnatural Selection. If you want though, you can even tutor it out, since amoeboid is a changeling and therefore a sliver. I only do this when I feel like I absolutely have to or I feel like being a dick. depends on your meta, but I try not to overuse this ability too much.)
- Crypt Sliver (just...yes....)
- Crystalline Sliver (this has a downside if you need to target your stuff, so don't drop it unless you need to. I feel like this is a better slot in than blade sliver or some of the lower end pumps. If you need to, only play him when you already have a sliver with a sac outlet on the battlefield)
- Mesmeric Sliver (depending on how many slivers you can drop, this gets pretty nuts. just always make opponents draw land.)
- Shifting Sliver (THIS MUST GO IN. Like seriously though. just drop this and win.)
- Coat of Arms (Most EDH decks only have access to one of these effects, but yours can have access to two with sliver legion in the deck too. I know this pumps everyone's tribal, so just have more of your tribe and you're good. Also you only have to drop this when you want to swing for lethal. Might be a good slot instead of Venser's Journal or something.)
Some nuts busted cards:
- Cryptic Gateway. (this is nuts. I love it)
- Cauldron of Souls (this is a super underrated card. When I go in and retune my deck, this is going in)
- Wild Pair (since you like cryptic gateway, you might like this card. didn't make it into mine, because i'm pretty low on slivers, but slivers always have the same power and toughness, making it really easy to use this card.)
Great deck. I'd love to hear what you think of my sliver tokens deck. I haven't tweaked it in a while so there's some obvious slot in's from Ixalan at least that need to go in. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/make-tokens-great-again/
Thanks for sharing :)
2 weeks ago
Ah, gotcha. I simply misinterpreted your wants for the deck. Well, that'll bring us in an entirely different direction...so i'm sure you're already familiar with most of the staples for Overlord which are Amoeboid Changeling and Unnatural Selection. However most of his staples are other slivers. He's mostly just a toolbox. More on that later. So, what are other spells that are staples, but aren't slivers?
Cyclonic Rift - there are times when you need to clear the board of threats or potential combos since overlord is going to be slower than aggro and "higher tier" commanders. Plus, the spell is just really good.
Patriarch's Bidding (because duh)
Training Grounds - good for Overlord, as having "cheaper" abilities frees up more mana.
Paradox Engine - with Paradox Engine + Manaweft Sliver + Heart Sliver you can potentially play all your slivers, draw a lot of cards, and kill everything. If you want a longer explanation, I can go into great depth through personal experience.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
"My goal with the Sliver deck was to have a highly synergystic creature combo deck that wins by attacking with creatures for obscene, unblockable, sliver damage."
Just so we're clear, it sounds like you want to build an aggro deck. Yes? Well in that case, Overlord isn't exactly the choice for you. He's a great sliver, but he's not the only choice...and he's suited to more control/midrange decks. It sounds like Sliver Hivelord or Sliver Legion are the choices for you. Additionally, you'd want to put in some means for tutoring creatures i.e. Worldly Tutor. Additionally, you'll have to cut back on slivers to make room for more spells and enchantments that contribute to your wincon. Here are some recommended cuts:
Virulent Sliver > Shared Animosity. If you are hitting your opponent 10 times to kill them, then you're doing something wrong. Virulent just isn't worth the effort because much like Diffusion Sliver the ability needs to stack in order to be effective. But since you can only have one Virulent Sliver, it's just not worth including.
Metallic Mimic > Megantic Sliver. having more lords available to you is just best. Besides it's like a huge bomb going off when hitting the field. The icing on the cake is that it also has sweet promo art.
Amoeboid Changeling > Xenagos, God of Revels (or Magma Sliver) you don't necessarily have to stick to slivers only. There are other creatures out there that offer alot to your battle strategy. But Amoeboid isn't aggro based. It's strictly for synergy with Sliver Overlord which doesn't really fit your game plan.
4 weeks ago
Ahem. So lets break down your question here, and i'll get right to answering it as best as I can:
"Im looking at the possibility of building a Sliver EDH deck (please dont hate). I dont know exactly what would be good tech for the deck."
So, when building a Sliver EDH deck know this: You are going . You have no other choice as all legendary slivers are 5 color. This is relevant only because you have to figure out the most expensive part of your deck which will be your landbase. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Lets look at your tech options:
Sliver Overlord is currently the most popular Sliver Commander/General, also it is the control oriented Sliver commander. If you pilot him, you should include cards that capitalize on it's second ability (i.e. Amoeboid Changeling and/or Unnatural Selection). Additionally, you would use cards that slow down the game as you would play a more attrition based strategy. I actually run this Commander, but I chose to build a midrage deck- the more "traditional" magic deck. Overlord works well in midrange as well as control, but it all depends on what appeals to you - do you want to lock down the game while you steadily populate the battlefield or do you want to ramp up and have a more flexible build that can win through different strategies?
Sliver Queen is the General for those who desire a combo win strategy. When the beautiful and incredible queen was first introduced, she was quickly paired with Heartstone + Ashnod's Altar. Such a lovely infinite sliver combo it was. But now, you have even more options in the form of Mana Echoes, Training Grounds or Basal Sliver + Heart Sliver + Gemhide Sliver. You get the idea. The best part however, is that Queen is so dynamic and incredible that she has been used as a general for non-sliver builds like superfriends. But i'm getting off track here. Queen decks are definitely the most competitive builds when it comes to Sliver EDH due to her being a combo piece herself, and thanks to the command zone you will always have ready access to her. On top of that, she makes blockers for next to no mana. There's a good reason why she's on the reserved list.
Now, certainly last but definitely not least you have both Sliver Legion and Sliver Hivelord making up the aggro based strats for Sliver EDH. These Generals may be simple, but they are incredibly powerful. The strategy would be rather simple with these two, as you would run alot of cards that ramp up the damage like Shared Animosity, Rancor etc. Quick little plays that add up quickly over time. If you have Sliver Hivelord in play, you could run alot more mass destruction. Oh, and true fact here: I a player outright scooped when I played Sliver Hivelord + Crystalline Sliver. Since you're running 5 color, you'll have access to all instance of them! Even better, look at the synergy between Ghostflame Sliver + All Is Dust. The slivers thought of everything at some point.
So really, that's a high level generalization of what directions you can go in when it comes to building a Sliver EDH deck. Please, let me know if you have questions as I'm always happy talk about Slivers.