Creature — Elemental Shaman
Sacrifice Fulminator Mage: Destroy target nonbasic land.
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters Promo (UMAP)||Mythic Rare|
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Fulminator Mage occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Fulminator Mage Discussion
2 months ago
Dark confidant is not good having 4 creatures with cmc 5 and 4 creatures with cmc 4.
between 10 and 11 fetches is the normal average for 3 color rock decks like jund.
The reason why I don't run a lot of removals is that I need a lot of permanents for devotion. In total i need between 40 and 45 black symbols in my whole deck. Also, this is the reason why I don't add any other creatures (outside of Tarmogoyf that does not have black symbols.
2 months ago
- Jund is amazing in every way except for you wallet. That is the worst part of jund. Discard spells impower your Tarmogoyf so running those is super important. Enough to want more Thoughtseize
- Dark Confidant is really good. It helps fight back the down side of discard cards. would recommand, and its early black devotion. Even when we take 5 on Gary when we cast him we heal so there is up side. Getting closer to our win con is always better. We dont need 20 life to win only 1.
- Scavenging Ooze is pretty powerful, you do have rest in peace in the SB but its still worth considering.
- Plague Engineer can help as well. Id play only one though. I see some decks play Murderous Rider as well as a one of.
- Collective Brutality is a very powerful card. I have been on the receiving end many times and lost because of the value this card gets you.
- I would recommend more removal. Espically at least 1x Abrupt Decay and one more Assassin's Trophy . Id be even more comfortable playing 2 more Fatal Push .
- The Reasons for blue: oko,3/3 elks, oko, and filtering with Snap caster. Unless you fight a lot of burn dont go blue.
- Reasons for red: Bolt is Life (cheap removal), Blood braid value (remember she was banned for some time), and wrenn and six. Jund is much more powerful than this build. That being said its not the archtype, and its wayyyyy more spendy.
- For land you want at least to "horizon lands" such as Nurturing Peatland and fast lands such as Blooming Marsh . Field of Ruin can also really help.
- Kitchen Finks is a great SB card and so is Fulminator Mage . Most play Nihil Spellbomb but you have white so you dont need this. By adding all this removal you wont need Damnation in your SB.
- Not a big fan of Mishra's Bauble or Grim Flayer . 10 Fetches is also a little high i would consider cutting down on those. To 6 or 8.
- You are abzan so i will say Worship is a card Giver of Runes Path to Exile and Angel's Grace are cards. As well as Siege Rhino . White also gets you Vizier of Remedies + Devoted Druid for infinite mana. - Tireless Tracker is also a good card draw engine although its not black.
- Other cards to consider Postmortem Lunge Eladamri's Call Finale of Devastation Sin Collector Eidolon of Rhetoric and Collector Ouphe
4 months ago
YamishiTheWickedOne I’ve seen the recent builds with Stoneforge Mystic . I think it is a good creature with a great ability. I also think it has been, somewhat, power crept. I think you could build Mardu Pyromancer around it; I think this build, currently, can forgo having to make room.
Bedlam Reveler is straight gas. Honestly, it provides so much advantage in the mid game. I don’t play the full copies since Seasoned Pyromancer does its effect in a sense. As for Unearth + Fulminator Mage , if your meta is all Tron and Titan decks, go for it. This current build maxes out on sorcery and instants to take advantage of Young Pyromancer , Seasoned Pyromancer , and Bedlam Reveler . But I do like Fulminator Mage and Unearth is pretty versatile as well. That’s the nice thing about Mardu Pyromancer: it allows the creator and pilot to personalize the build.
4 months ago
I have been AFK testing this new variant of Mardu Pyromancer and I think I have the ratios and inclusions that bring back that old familiar feeling of Mardu Pyromancer! I want to address some of the previous comments that I have now archived. Everything here on is brand spanking new!
JacenSolo29 I want to address some of the suggestions you made. As you can see, I actually did include one of them, so thank you for the suggestion! Kaya's Guile is a magnificent midrange/control inclusion that just fits perfectly in the sideboard against grave decks (few and far between, but still existent) and against burn for the life gain, edict/sacrifice effect, and chump blocking token. I usually bring it in in place of Kolaghan's Command or Bedlam Reveler for extra sustain. Honestly, a perfect inclusion for Mardu Pyromancer that just screams: "I do Orzhov things"! As for Monastery Mentor , it is always on my radar. I want it to work, but it just seems like an extra Young Pyromancer and always feels a turn late. I want to keep working on it, but it just doesn't fit, especially with being a splash color in the overall theme of the deck, it needs more testing.
YamishiTheWickedOne I want to try to address all your previous comments, that are under the first "update" tab. First, Seasoned Pyromancer is straight GAS. Literally, the nuts and the perfect breath of life that the deck needed to remain competitive. It's so good, that I've even seen it in Jund and Grixis Control decks as a sideboard option for card draw. Honestly, we need the full 4 copies and I would never EVER side out any of them!
YamishiTheWickedOne I tried Dreadhorde Arcanist , and it works well if you max out on every 1 cmc drop, like Inquisition of Kozilek , Thoughtseize , Fatal Push , and Path to Exile . However, since Faithless Looting got the ban axe, we need Ransack the Lab for card draw and it is 2 cmc and doesn't fit well with Dreadhorde Arcanist . It's an honest maybeboard card, but with the current build, it doesn't work.
YamishiTheWickedOne Blood Moon delays the inevitable against big mana decks. We need proactive choices that don't stall, like Fulminator Mage , Molten Rain , or Pillage . I've opted for Pillage so as to also kick some artifact behind, like Tron's plethora of artifacts and the occasional Affinity, since we can also destroy their manlands. Also, having sorcery spells help for all our creatures to trigger some type of additional VALUE advantage, minus Hazoret the Fervent .
YamishiTheWickedOne as for Yawgmoth, Thran Physician ... I don't like it, personally... it feels very "win-more" and doesn't work with the consistent in all the cmc of the cards. Besides, Plague Engineer literally takes a Phyrexian dump all over Human and other tribal decks. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician might need more testing, but I have not been excited to play him on turn 4 compared to other cards and combinations. Maybe one day he will be "emergency ban worthy" (really funny reference since I also was a Yugioh player before MtG), but as for now, he's "meh".
Thank you all for being so interested in the build and keeping the comment section alive and thriving! I appreciate the support and the enthusiasm! Here's to the future of Mardu Pyromancer!
4 months ago
alexjustdoit Unfortunately, I don't have time to play modern during the school year. And frankly, I don't think this decklist is very good.
But I've been thinking about Grixis in my free time, and I think Unearth should be incorporated into the deck. Graveyard hate has declined, so we can start dipping into graveyard synergies again.
I've become convinced that Force of Negation is not the way to go. I like the card, but modern doesn't require it. It doesn't counter creatures, and Wurmcoil Engine and Primeval Titan are creatures that we want to counter.
I think Inquisition of Kozilek , Kolaghan's Command , and Tasigur, the Golden Fang have never been better. Tasigur and Inquisition are really good vs Burn, which is the most popular deck right now. K-command beats artifacts and midrange, aka Whirza and Jund, so it's really good. Tron is the only problem, but Fulminator Mage out of the sideboard can make the matchup passable.
I'm not sure where counterspells fit into Grixis right now. We need to play a few, or we're playing a worse deck than Jund. I think 2 Spell Snare is the best way to start, with a split of Mana Leak and Countersquall , and maybe 2 Cryptic. And I like Force or Dispel or Countersquall or Disdainful Stroke in the sideboard, depending mostly on how the Tron and Burn matchups feel.
If you want to play grixis with counterspells, I highly highly recommend 6-8 counterspells in the main with another 3-4 in the sideboard.
4 months ago
Hi saluma and thanks for the feedback. I dedicated 2 slots to Anti Tron because it is one of the worst matchups of Cruel Control. With the right Side Combo of Cards and the right timing to resolve Crumble to Dust it can win you the match. I tried Fulminator Mage and Extirpate but you must have both cards in your hand to exile one Tron Land. Crumble to Dust does for one extra mana. I would like to hear your recomendation if you have something different to tell me.
4 months ago
Hey thanks for the feedback. I'd definitely say that your list seems more correct. One of the big reasons I dont play Blood Moon is because of my manlands. With that said, Fulminator Mage doesnt just shut decks down like Blood Moon does, so its probably more correct to play moon anyways.
In my opinion choosing to run moon or not to run moon is a judgement call. Even with hazoret, I am not sure if there are enough midrange creatures that you can play for offense and defence, so lands is the route I went. That being said, I should definitely add in hazoret to my list because it does solve the problem I just mentioned. Also, after seeing your list, I definitely think I should be running Dreadbore and at least one more Plague Engineer .
On Ghitu Encampment , its honestly a bit of a pet card. While it cant finish games as reliably as Lavaclaw Reaches , there is a lot of value in first strike. I have used it a number of times with lightning bolt to kill a Gurmag Angler . That being said, its not the best at finishing games without the help of Mutavault or another creature, but thats why its in my deck at least.
Finally, I had another thought on your list, I was wondering what the reasoning was behind play Slaughter Games it seems bad to flip with Dark Confidant , and it seems like a worse Surgical Extraction that cant be flashed back. Just wondering what its there for over another surgical. Are there any cards that you dont think you can get with it?
Anyways thats all I got to say, thanks.